IGNORED

Bifrost Multibit?

Stoddard says Schiit will be adding their statement multi-bit tech to their entire decoder range. Expect to see a multi-bit Gungnir “soon” – the board is apparently already done – and a multi-bit Bifrost “shortly thereafter”.

T.H.E. Show Newport 2015: Multi-bit from multi-Schiit | DAR

I have a Bifrost Uber as well and am interested in trying the Multibit upgrade.

There are rumors that the Bifrost they had at the Schiitshow last month was equipped with the Multi-bit upgrade. This is based on a hint that Mike Moffat gave in one of his posts either here or on Head-fi. I wouldn't be surprised if the upgrade is announced in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately I probably won't be upgrading my Bifrost. I'm saving for the Gungnir Multibit because I need the balanced outputs. My current Bifrost will either get sold or moved to another system.

The Gungnir requires that you ship the DAC to Schiit for the upgrade. I'm wondering if the Bifrost will need to be shipped back as well (there is a DIY option for the Uber Analog upgrade).

Somewhere I read what the process was for the Gungnir upgrade and it wasn't user upgradeable because there were some adjustments and equipment involved to get everything set right. ( or something to that effect). I don't expect the Bifrost to be any different.

I keep telling myself to sell the Bifrost already but I just can't part with it yet. I'm curious to learn how far they can take it. So far I've only done the Uber upgrade, which was well worth it.

Ive got the Uber USB version as well. I bought it already fully loaded so I wasn't able to discover how much the Uber option did for the sound. If the multi-bit upgrade is only a couple of hundred bucks I'd probably do it, but I'm guessing it will only be slightly cheaper than the Gungnir upgrade. Because of that I'm probably just going to spend the money towards the Gungnir, which I intended to buy even before they announced the multibit option.

In the works:

So now it is time for you to downsize the numbers. What would you do for a Bifrost? Smaller mega-burrito filter? 16 bit DACs? Retail price about 27% of Yggy? Upgrade prices percentages scalable to Gungnir plus a little extra for a new multi-bit analog? Happy, toe-tapping music and no digititus!! Now that would be cool.

Not saying that's so – but it sure is logical. It is just a whole lotta work, because the Bifrost is so much smaller than Gungnir. I would be really happy if I have it in production next spring. But I could get lucky.

original post

I meant to say I've only done the Uber Analog upgrade. I didn't do the USB GEN2 upgrade because I use one of my converters with the Bifrost. Crazychile .. is it your intention to opt for the Gungir MB when the time comes?

Yes MB absolutely. I should have been more clear. I intended to buy the Gungnir even before the MB option was available...because I need balanced for my electrostatic amp. Since the MB option was announced, I'll just save a little longer and go for that upgrade as well. I've had the itch for a Yggdrasil since it came out but it's a bit too much for me. Gungnir MB should be the next best thing.

There are rumors that the Bifrost they had at the Schiitshow last month was equipped with the Multi-bit upgrade. This is based on a hint that Mike Moffat gave in one of his posts either here or on Head-fi. I wouldn't be surprised if the upgrade is announced in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately I probably won't be upgrading my Bifrost. I'm saving for the Gungnir Multibit because I need the balanced outputs. My current Bifrost will either get sold or moved to another system.

By contrast I'll probably have my Bifrost Uber upgraded. I'd like balanced but the cost of the Gungnir Multibit would be steep for me.

When I bought my Bifrost quite a while back with USB & Uber I paid the US$520 which translated to about Cdn$600. But the Canadian dollar has really sagged thanks to low oil prices. Today the US$1250 Gungnir Multibit would cost me Cdn$1800 plus 13% VAT plus shipping, brokerage, and possible duty -- over $2000: too much for poor, retired buy like me.

I just wonder percentage of Bifrost sales have included the Uber upgrade since its introduction. My guess would be that the MB upgrade for the Bifrost will be $250 off-the-shelf and $300 after the fact. The interesting part will be how an Uber+MB Bifrost compares to the base Gungnir model.

I strongly suspect that a Bifrost Multibit upgrade will replace either the Uber or base Bifrost board as the case may be. These boards include both the DAC and the analog section.

I just wonder percentage of Bifrost sales have included the Uber upgrade since its introduction. My guess would be that the MB upgrade for the Bifrost will be $250 off-the-shelf and $300 after the fact. The interesting part will be how an Uber+MB Bifrost compares to the base Gungnir model.

I bet most opted for the Uber Analog ($70) when ordering. It's $100 plus shipping afterwards correct?

I strongly suspect that a Bifrost Multibit upgrade will replace either the Uber or base Bifrost board as the case may be. These boards include both the DAC and the analog section.

Good point Feanor .. makes me wonder if the BMB upgrade cost will be more in line with the GMB. At $500 I would likely pass. At $250 or $300 I would opt in.

I bet most opted for the Uber Analog ($70) when ordering. It's $100 plus shipping afterwards correct?

Good point Feanor .. makes me wonder if the BMB upgrade cost will be more in line with the GMB. At $500 I would likely pass. At $250 or $300 I would opt in.

Yes, I'd bet on the Bifrost Multibit upgrade (if it happens) costing more than $250. But it might be a bit less than Gungnir's $500 because former doesn't have to support fully differential (balance) operation. Personally I wouldn't pay $500 for a Bifrost upgrade; I'd go for Gungnir Multibit and flog my Bifrost Uber to recover $350 or so.

At $300 put me in for the mb upgrade!

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

Yikes... Not just one upgrade option, but two... there is also a 4490 Upgrade (w/ DIY option) now as well. Since there is no DIY option for the MB upgrade, I may just order the 4490 upgrade for now. It is true though... once you go Multibit, you can't go back (due to the firmware update).

So, are these two upgrades complementary? Should I be considering both?

Hi Jim .. no, it's one or the other:

"All existing Bifrosts can be upgraded to Bifrost Multibit for $250. The process requires firmware changes, so the Bifrost will have to be sent to Schiit or an authorized service center for the upgrade. All existing Bifrosts can also be upgraded to the new AK4490 Bifrost from $70."

Well, I couldn't resist. Looking forward to this very interesting upgrade (bold is mine):

"The Bifrost Multibit uses the same unique, proprietary closed-form digital filter algorithm as the acclaimed Yggdrasil and Gungnir Multibit, but running at a lower rate with less taps in order to fit within Bifrost. The filter is followed by a medical/military grade AD5547CRUZ D/A converter (which has never been used previously in an audiophile product). Bifrost Multibit features an NOS (non-oversampling) mode for inputs with sample rates of 176.4kHz and 192kHz, where there is no digital filter applied."

I take this to mean it is NOS only at the 176.4 and 192 sample rates. Yes? No? And what is happening with other sample rates?

A big thank you to the Guys of Schiit for keeping their word regarding upgrades. Impressive.

Well, I couldn't resist. Looking forward to this very interesting upgrade (bold is mine):

"The Bifrost Multibit uses the same unique, proprietary closed-form digital filter algorithm as the acclaimed Yggdrasil and Gungnir Multibit, but running at a lower rate with less taps in order to fit within Bifrost. The filter is followed by a medical/military grade AD5547CRUZ D/A converter (which has never been used previously in an audiophile product). Bifrost Multibit features an NOS (non-oversampling) mode for inputs with sample rates of 176.4kHz and 192kHz, where there is no digital filter applied."

I take this to mean it is NOS only at the 176.4 and 192 sample rates. Yes? No? And what is happening with other sample rates?

A big thank you to the Guys of Schiit for keeping their word regarding upgrades. Impressive.

I'm probably missing something here, but wouldn't all 192khz DACs be considered NOS with a 192khz input?