IGNORED

Sarah McKenzie - We Could Be Lovers (24/96)

Beautiful recording, reviewed here: Sarah McKenzie – Another Outstanding Vocal Jazz Talent | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

0060254742060_600.jpg

The recording seems to be true 24/96 (but filtered above 36khz), but is a bit compressed (DR7-10, majority of tracks 8-9) unfortunately. Still sounds quite nice but not an audiophile mastering.

01-05-Sarah_McKenzie-At_Long_Last_Love-SMR.m4a_report.png

Beautiful recording, reviewed here: Sarah McKenzie – Another Outstanding Vocal Jazz Talent | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21213[/ATTACH]

The recording seems to be true 24/96 (but filtered above 36khz), but is a bit compressed (DR7-10, majority of tracks 8-9) unfortunately. Still sounds quite nice but not an audiophile mastering.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21214[/ATTACH]

For the mastering quality reason I am off from buying it. Nothing for me justify for that kind of music genre so crapy mastering!!!! Nothing, nada! OK, filtering above 36kHz I can understand, but take a look at the circe diagram - WTF!?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

For the mastering quality reason I am off from buying it. Nothing for me justify for that kind of music genre so crapy mastering!!!! Nothing, nada! OK, filtering above 36kHz I can understand, but take a look at the circe diagram - WTF!?

Yes, the compression is a pity. I still find the recording very enjoyable overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. I should mention that those of us with ... skills ... are able to purchase and download her music from Qobuz even though we might, from time to time, be located in the USA:)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Possible to get this in the US? Only available as a CD from Amazon, as far as I can tell...

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Qobuz

Qobuz is not available in the US. That is why I am asking!!!

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Got it. SQ is pretty good overall. I wonder if the limited DR is actually a result of the music itself (the snare drum in some songs never stops).

As for the music, it is refreshing to hear something different. But if I were to compare this with Diana Krall (ducking right now to avoid the flames coming my way!), I'd say McKenzie's repertoire is uninteresting by comparison, and Krall's voice is far and away more charming and engaging.

My 2c....

system pics

Got it. SQ is pretty good overall. I wonder if the limited DR is actually a result of the music itself (the snare drum in some songs never stops).

As for the music, it is refreshing to hear something different. But if I were to compare this with Diana Krall (ducking right now to avoid the flames coming my way!), I'd say McKenzie's repertoire is uninteresting by comparison, and Krall's voice is far and away more charming and engaging.

My 2c....

No need to duck, no flames, just a proper old fashioned fist fight!

Joke apart, Diana has completely lost me since Glad Rag doll and Wallflower.

And with regards to repertoire, this is only her first international album and her third in absolute into my knowledge. Have you ever heard Krall's early albums from Canada? Not very special either

With regards to the voice one could argue, but I like Sarah's style.

Now as usual YMMV.

No need to duck, no flames, just a proper old fashioned fist fight!

Haha... :)

Joke apart, Diana has completely lost me since Glad Rag doll and Wallflower.

Agree with that. Wallflower has grown in me some, but yes, a downward slope for sure.

And with regards to repertoire, this is only her first international album and her third in absolute into my knowledge. Have you ever heard Krall's early albums from Canada? Not very special either

Fair enough on McKenzie. As for Krall's first albums: I bought them recently. Absolutely horrendous. Point taken.

With regards to the voice one could argue, but I like Sarah's style.

I don't love it. I hope it matures - as did Krall's.

I came across Melody Margot... Have only listened to a few snippets and liked what I heard. Any opinions?

system pics

I came across Melody Margot... Have only listened to a few snippets and liked what I heard. Any opinions?

Melody Gardot! Gosh so stupid!

system pics

Gardot you mean I presume?

She's a real talent, with a very special, seductive voice. Her early albums are Norah-jonesy-style vocal jazz/pop albums, very well done. The Absence is more world-music inspired, and in the latest one she goes a bit more towards soul (my review here: Currency of Man – Melody Gardot goes Soul – A Review | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms).

Overall, I very much like her.