IGNORED

Well, at least I didn't buy the $700 one: 30 trips around the sun, lots of upsampling and weirdness

Bill's point is very clear for me, I was trying to convey it as straight as I could. My point was: one shouldn't buy anything if he/she is not sure he/she wants to buy it; second: for 30 years GD has been providing their fans with lot of free opportunities, including free access to tape their concerts (in dedicated tapers zones), most of the tapes were and are in free access now, also those which are preserved in better quality, than redbook. Also, as a deadhead (I am) I do not care if some of the tracks in new compilation are processed, I accept the sound of this set all way through. Message which is still here is more important than kHz's.

I'm happy for you that you have that outlook. But I believe your characterization of others is baseless:

A lot of people like to get what they paid for. They know that corporations sometimes cheat them (Volkswagen, anyone?), so they check. They might very possibly be happy with the sound of the recordings, but not happy that they were charged for a premium product they didn't receive. It has nothing to do with the kHz or the sound per se,or "accepting the sound". If you are being sold CD quality, you should be charged the CD price, not the hi-res price.

I'm sure Bill would have had no complaint if the set had not been called hi-res, or described accurately.

Without that, he can't make a proper informed decision about whether the music is worth buying at the price it is being sold.

So your point about don't buy something if one isn't sure one wants to buy doesn't apply here. A proper sale is supposed to take place when the buyer knows what he is buying and at what price he is buying it.

In a case like this the seller is essentially cheating the buyer. If it doesn't bother you that's fine, but don't pontificate about others wanting to feel bad, hating the world, etc. It's an insulting and unfounded point, based on nothing than your prejudices.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

and they're returning to strategies to kill this crazy neighbor's cat.

That made me laugh out loud. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

In a case like this the seller is essentially cheating the buyer.

I am not sure whom you're pointing to, but if it is some body belonging to Dead's circle, I am not sure anyone who belong feel cheated. If Mom or Dad tells you about Santa will you?

After you get more informed (and this is not necessarily a progress of any kind) it is solely a choice you owe yourself to make - be happy or not. Sorry if it sounds "pontificate", English is a foreign language for me, I do not feel at ease using it.

• 3 years later...
On 9/24/2015 at 8:05 PM, wgscott said:

I should know better by now. This is the condensed "best of" version of the $700 live release box set, so it only cost me $41 on dead.net (or $50 on HDtracks). Nonetheless, it gives you one track from each year, so you get an idea of the quality control, or lack thereof, for the $700 version.

Here are some samples, taken at random:

Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 7.52.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 7.58.44 PM.png

Interesting!  What software are those screenshots from?  --thanks!

• 1 year later...

Dropped hints in 2015 for that 700$ set to all my wealthy children hints were ignored BUT... they all took me and Mom to Pebble Beach(for my 70th) stayed at Spanish Bay and played all 3 courses bogeyed #7 & #18(PB) and walked down 18 with all 3 boys arm in arm THEN... downloaded all original first time sung of all Dead’s songs from archives.org

from all above glad I didn’t get that 700$ box