IGNORED

Article: The Music In Me: River Deep - Mountain High

I've also read somewhere that the great Darlene Love(another Specter discovery) practically begged Specter for that song. Don't know if it's true or not but I'd love to hear it in whatever alternate universe the track might exist in.

Esau

Her new album is not bad at all.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Kinda hate to because the article is such fun, but a couple of minor quibbles:

- Wasn't the buried-until-recently Beach Boys' album "Smile"?

- What I'd always heard about Good Vibrations is that Brian used four different studios for that one song, Gold Star being one.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Spector was born in the Bronx on December 26, 1939. Do you know anyone else whose birthday is so close to Christmas? I do, and it’s always the same angry story: your parents say that as long as the two days were so close, instead of giving you two regular gifts, they’ll give you one big one- it’ll be twice as good! And it was always bullshit. You got the same gift you’d have gotten for your birthday or for Christmas, but it was never twice as good! You got cheated and you’ve been pissed off ever since. I know. I’ve heard it before. So maybe—I don’t know, maybe—that’s why he went off the rails so early.

Well, if minor quibbles are on the table, then we might note that it doesn't typically matter to Jewish kids, like Harvey Phillip Spector from The Bronx, that they're born around Christmas, since they don't celebrate that holiday anyway.

That was certainly even more true in the 1940s and 1950s, when Harvey Phillip Spector was growing up, than today.

So I'm guessing the suicide of Spector's father when the boy was not even 10 years old had an awful lot more to do with his going "off the rails so early."

Dave, who finds one advantage of being Jewish is the ability to ignore Christmas when the holiday becomes too commercial bs

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

Perhaps so, but I grew up in a Jewish household not far from the Bronx and we got, like tangerines and socks for Hanukkah and we looked forward to the gifts at Christmas. And can we keep this amongst ourselves? I mean, does the Rabbi need to know? As for "Smile" you are right, Jud. Mea culpa. And this was fun to write and when Chris put in three versions, I listened to 'em all!

Perhaps so, but I grew up in a Jewish household not far from the Bronx and we got, like tangerines and socks for Hanukkah and we looked forward to the gifts at Christmas. And can we keep this amongst ourselves? I mean, does the Rabbi need to know?

Ah, and I grew up in a very secular Jewish household in Queens and we, like most of our co-religion neighbors, ignored Christmas (except for the traditional movie and eating out at a Chinese restaurant).

Nah, I'd put Spector's "off the rails" far far more on a father's suicide than being a late December Capricorn.

Music is love, made audible.

- Wasn't the buried-until-recently Beach Boys' album "Smile"?

- What I'd always heard about Good Vibrations is that Brian used four different studios for that one song, Gold Star being one.

I asked Chris to change it to "Smile" because a) Jud is right b) Chris made the change, and c) because others may read it and we want the information to be accurate. Thanks to Jud and Chris.

Thanks to Jud and Chris.

Thank you for your very enjoyable story.

Ah, and I grew up in a very secular Jewish household in Queens and we, like most of our co-religion neighbors, ignored Christmas (except for the traditional movie and eating out at a Chinese restaurant).

Had to laugh - movie and Chinese, us too every year! :)

Interesting and well written article by Gilbert Klein, but one little correction: It was the Washington Times, not Washington Post, that named Spector the #2 greatest record producer of all time in the article, "Top 5 Knob-twiddlers" published July 4, 2008.

The complete list in order is George Martin, Phil Spector, Quincy Jones, Jeff Lynne, and Brian Eno/Daniel Lanois.

Spector was a musical genius; too bad he went off the rails.

Top 5: Knob-twiddlers - Washington Times

Phil C

Win 10 laptop and JRiver22 (set to WASAPI) controlled remotely by JRemote on iPad Mini or iPhone> Belkin Gold USB cable > Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB to SPDIF converter> DH Labs D-75 digital coaxial cable > Benchmark DAC1 HDR with volume control> Cardas Golden Presence balanced interconnects > BSG Technologies QOL Signal Completion Stage > Cardas Golden Presence balanced interconnects > Music Reference RM-200 Mk II tube amp > Cardas Golden Presence speaker cables > Sonus faber Cremona M speakers.  Running Springs Haley power conditioner.

Interesting and well written article by Gilbert Klein, but one little correction: It was the Washington Times, not Washington Post, that named Spector the #2 greatest record producer of all time in the article, "Top 5 Knob-twiddlers" published July 4, 2008.

The complete list in order is George Martin, Phil Spector, Quincy Jones, Jeff Lynne, and Brian Eno/Daniel Lanois.

Spector was a musical genius; too bad he went off the rails.

Top 5: Knob-twiddlers - Washington Times

Phil C

Yes, it was the Washington Times, not the Post. I know I read it right, and reported it wrong. I'll try to do better, but personally, I blame the gypsies.

I've also read somewhere that the great Darlene Love(another Specter discovery) practically begged Specter for that song. Don't know if it's true or not but I'd love to hear it in whatever alternate universe the track might exist in.

Esau

Yo, esimms86, look what happens when alternate universes collide: a friend sent me this:

Note all the players Dave provided, so thanks to both DL's. This is fun, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Great article! I was a major fan of the Phil Spector sound and the music/artists he brought to fame in the late 50s - early 60s. When the Beatles arrived along with the British invasion almost over night all his music disappeared from the airwaves in a very short time. To me that really was "The Day The Music Died". In a very short time I was looking for a different music genre and thank goodness I found the R&B stations in Chicago and MoTown came along to the rescue. If I had to listen to She Loves You one more time I would have puked.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.