IGNORED

The first mile: What power stations are best for audio?

Boris75

What power stations are best for audio?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And depending on the power supply of the poster's computer.

So now you are disputing the reports from many members who have retro fitted UpTone JS2 PSUs to their Mac Minis too ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

So now you are disputing the reports from many members who have retro fitted UpTone JS2 PSUs to their Mac Minis too ?

Aahhh ... you are missing Bill's joke -- If one is blinded then can't read the claim on the website forum ... unless your computer does text to voice in which case font might affect sound -- we aren't requiring you to be Tommy :)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Aahhh ... you are missing Bill's joke -- If one is blinded then can't read the claim on the website forum ... unless your computer does text to voice in which case font might affect sound -- we aren't requiring you to be Tommy :)

I see very little that is funny, in any posts by the Ill Tempered Audiophool, as I don't pay too much attention to his ranting.

In fact, quite a few members would take offence to a comment about God in a recent post by him.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

I see very little that is funny, in any posts by the Ill Tempered Audiophool, as I don't pay too much attention to his ranting.

In fact, quite a few members would take offence to a comment about God in a recent post by him.

The same ones who are offended by Latin?

No, I was poking fun at your claim that bit-identical rips of a CD sound different as a result of changes to the power supply of the optical drive that has been used to rip the CD.

No, I was poking fun at your claim that bit-identical rips of a CD sound different as a result of changes to the power supply of the optical drive that has been used to rip the CD.

Poke fun all you like, but I am able to prove what I say via both the MC Blind tests, the other related HFC forum threads, and direct demonstration, as I also did for a highly sceptical Sydney EE through his own system.

Perhaps some Mac Mini owners who have retrofitted a JS2 PSU could try comparing earlier ripped .aiff files with newly ripped ones after the JS2 was fitted ?

Did you read what Alfe has to say in the Tutorial thread he posted ?

BTW,

The files used by M.C. in the 6 Blind tests were ripped by 2 different Optical devices. The LG BR writer was powered via a JLH PSU add-on , and the other was a cheap portable USB powered DVD Rom.

You should get in touch with James Randi and collect your million dollar award.

The Randi people have been shown in the past: (a) to avoid paying with flimsy excuses when shown to be wrong; b) to not know how to properly set up a DBT to test claims they want to debunk.

They are at least as much of a joke as the audiophiles they make fun of.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

+1 I cannot believe anyone would think them credible.

The Randi people have been shown in the past: (a) to avoid paying with flimsy excuses when shown to be wrong; b) to not know how to properly set up a DBT to test claims they want to debunk.

They are at least as much of a joke as the audiophiles they make fun of.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

You can't believe anyone would be sceptical of paranormal phenomena? Wow.

No, obviously that's fine. The problem is that they are a bunch of pseudo scientists who can't even implement the standards they claim to believe in. Not knowing how to setup a proper DBT makes them not credible, if you want an example.

Again, in the guise of objectivity, you let your own biases influence your opinions. Just because the organization purports to be about debunking paranormal phenomena, that doesn't make it any more serious or reputable than many of the people or organizations they are sceptical of.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

No, obviously that's fine. The problem is that they are a bunch of pseudo scientists who can't even implement the standards they claim to believe in. Not knowing how to setup a proper DBT makes them not credible, if you want an example.

Again, in the guise of objectivity, you let your own biases influence your opinions. Just because the organization purports to be about debunking paranormal phenomena, that doesn't make it any more serious or reputable than many of the people or organizations they are sceptical of.

Reputable or not, they are offering a million-dollar reward, and hearing differences between identical files would certainly be a qualifying feat.

They are a sham, it is a publicity stunt and they will never pay out regardless of outcome.

Reputable or not, they are offering a million-dollar reward, and hearing differences between identical files would certainly be a qualifying feat.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I don't remember reading a tutorial thread by Alfe, so I guess not.

I think that Alex is referring to this thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/optical-drive-25421/

It presents a lot of good information explaining why CDs may sound different when played back but doesn't provide any answers to explain what Alex is hearing (two bit-identical rips sounding different).

In fact, I asked the author (Alfe) if the phenomena he discussed would explain bit-identical rips sounding different and received the following response:

Tom,

Just for clarification I never said and will never say that identical bits sound different, I just tried to find out why Alex and others can hear a difference.

I could see only two possibilities the data are spread on different packets that may affect the bit rate(BER) or it make the jitter higher during the reading process or the non uniformity of the checksum is the culprit.

I had to start first with the behaviour of the optical drive to try to explain what happening first and if the two possibilities can be covered.

So please let's forget about the bits are bits war, and let's continue to try to find what is behind the mathematical assumptions.

And anyhow if at the end you are not convinced by my demonstration I'm sure that in any case you are learning stuff about the optical drive:)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I think that Alex is referring to this thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/optical-drive-25421/

It presents a lot of good information explaining why CDs may sound different when played back but doesn't provide any answers to explain what Alex is hearing (two bit-identical rips sounding different).

In fact, I asked the author (Alfe) if the phenomena he discussed would explain bit-identical rips sounding different and received the following response:

Thanks! I'm not surprised Alfe doesn't provide an explanation for Alex's perceptions. :D

Thanks! I'm not surprised Alfe doesn't provide an explanation for Alex's perceptions. :D

You keep insisting that they are just my perceptions. There are now quite a few C.A. members who have also heard them, some going back as far as >5 years ago in a thread where even the designer of the very highly regarded Phasure NOS DAC, and XXHE software also reported hearing the differences from my uploaded .wav files.

You keep insisting that they are just my perceptions. There are now quite a few C.A. members who have also heard them, some going back as far as >5 years ago in a thread where even the designer of the very highly regarded Phasure NOS DAC, and XXHE software also reported hearing the differences from my uploaded .wav files.

What do you mean "keep insisting"? I have never even suggested that you are alone in perceiving the differences you hear.

Who else has independently replicated your results over the past 5+ years?

The only one that I am aware of who has done this independently would be Silverlight (Geoff) from NYC.

Geoff even claimed to hear the differences between different OS's and even posted a report about tracks created using Demagnetising, Ion treatment of CDs and CD cleaning. He uploaded the tracks and Jeff from Brisbane Au. and myself were also involved. We all chose the track created by simply washing the CD as sounding better. I have been unable to locate these posts again.

Few members would have the time available to get involved in this area. As I am retired I have plenty of time to indulge in this and DIYing audio gear. The incentive for me is to keep enjoying music for longer as age causes further hearing degradation.

See for me and on my system, the OS, computer, brand of drive and power supply hasn't had an audible effect on CDs that are ripped, stored to my NAS and played back.

This effect might be something unique to your specific system and way of doing things but does not appear to generalize to my system nor way of doing things.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

This effect might be something unique to your specific system and way of doing things but does not appear to generalize to my system nor way of doing things.

No, it isn't unique to my particular system, and has been duplicated by quite a few other DIY members of another forum.