IGNORED

The first mile: What power stations are best for audio?

Boris75

What power stations are best for audio?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Inspired by Wgscott's nice thread about power cords, I am seeking your advice about where I should relocate to get more air around instruments, a darker background, and firmer bass: close to a coal, hydro, biomass, nuclear or other power plant?

I did not put windmills on the list, because their hum would raise the noise floor, and I want to listen to music also when there is no wind. By the same logic, I deleted solar from my initial list, as I would like to keep contributing to the "Album of the Evening" thread.

If the last 6ft matter, I guess the first mile should too. Everything matters in audio, as we all know.

At least in the UK you can't control this... in fact your power doesn't come from just one power station (unless you are off the grid with your own private generation facility).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Coming to a garage near you. Tesla powerwall....yup, can even link to the solar cells.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Inspired by Wgscott's nice thread about power cords, I am seeking your advice about where I should relocate to get more air around instruments, a darker background, and firmer bass: close to a coal, hydro, biomass, nuclear or other power plant?

I did not put windmills on the list, because their hum would raise the noise floor, and I want to listen to music also when there is no wind. By the same logic, I deleted solar from my initial list, as I would like to keep contributing to the "Album of the Evening" thread.

If the last 6ft matter, I guess the first mile should too. Everything matters in audio, as we all know.

a cottage miles from anywhere with you're own generator would be best, then you can enjoy playing your organ.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

Wack job

Good example of the type of provocative and meaningless post that could be moderated out.

Stalking posts where direct threats are made against participants are ok, but ones that harmlessly make fun of a silly idea via reductio ad absurdum should be moderated out?

...If the last 6ft matter, I guess the first mile should too. Everything matters in audio, as we all know.

If you are considering moving, why not instead clean up the crap that comes out of your wall socket along with the electricity using a decent power cleaner?

I use the Monster Power HDP 1800 High Definition PowerCenter™.

A quote from Noel Lee:

"Ordinary unfiltered AC power contains electromagnetic and radio frequency noise that degrades the picture and sound quality of your home theater. Monster PowerCenters feature patented Monster Clean PowerTM filter circuitry that virtually stops the electromagnetic pollution that goes right through typical surge protectors. Clean Power circuitry filters both external AC powerline noise and also dramatically reduces noise generated by AV equipment connected to the PowerCenter."

Don't plug your good power cable into a raw wall socket, clean up the power first. If you clean up the electricity coming out of the wall socket first the first mile doesn't matter as much as the last 6 ft from the power conditioner to the power cable to your precious components.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Cycling to generate power, this way you will link this poll to the other thread too.

I've thought that would be a great way to power TVs, computes, and audio equipment. If you had to earn the electricity to run the equipment for sedentary activity, it might help those of us who are prone to packing on the pounds (which I, at 52, certainly am, but, alarmingly, find is also true with my kids).

Charge the Tesla battery this way, and then you have the ultimate clean power source.

If you are considering moving, why not instead clean up the crap that comes out of your wall socket along with the electricity using a decent power cleaner?

A quote from Noel Lee:

"Ordinary unfiltered AC power contains electromagnetic and radio frequency noise that degrades the picture and sound quality of your home theater. Monster PowerCenters feature patented Monster Clean PowerTM filter circuitry that virtually stops the electromagnetic pollution that goes right through typical surge protectors. Clean Power circuitry filters both external AC powerline noise and also dramatically reduces noise generated by AV equipment connected to the PowerCenter."

Don't plug your good power cable into a raw wall socket, clean up the power first. If you clean up the electricity coming out of the wall socket first the first mile doesn't matter as much as the last 6 ft from the power conditioner to the power cable to your precious components.

Thanks. I currently use an APC Line-R 1200 (http://www.amazon.com/APC-LE1200-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/dp/B00009RA60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442935765&sr=8-1&keywords=apc+line-r+1200) for surge protection and power filtering, following Blizzard's recommendation on this forum. A brief look at the specs suggests that your suggested Monster Power 1800 is superior; however, a quick search failed to yield a 230V version of it. I'll keep looking.

Charge the Tesla battery this way, and then you have the ultimate clean power source.

This sounds like too hard work for me: it seems that I should hire a few cyclists, in addition to the calcants for the pipe organ. By the way, for this bicycle-powered Tesla battery to be the ultimate clean, green power source, I surely must feed the cyclists on organic food.

Any volunteers?

Teresa,

I have heard from a couple of sources that all of Monsters power products, except the early Richard Marsh designed products, actually remove something from the music. YMMV...

I have the Monster HTS2000, but I wish I had the MKII.

The answer is use a Tesla battery of course.

I'm actually not joking. Generally the battery solutions have been limiting because of not enough reserve in transients. But a massive Tesla battery together with a massive DC->AC should be able to cope methinks. Even better would be no AC in the middle...

Any distribution grid will pick up electromagnetic noise. This is unavoidable. The only way around it is to filter it out (or be off grid obviously as in the Tesla case). Filtering as always is a tricky thing as it adds impedance to the distribution making it slower.

NUC10i7 + ROCK > dCS Rossini Apex DAC + dCS Rossini Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V 9” + Dynavector XV-1s > vdH The Grail

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I'm actually not joking. Generally the battery solutions have been limiting because of not enough reserve in transients. But a massive Tesla battery together with a massive DC->AC should be able to cope methinks. Even better would be no AC in the middle...

Cutting out the middle (DC-AC) step always seams to make sense to me...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Stalking posts where direct threats are made against participants are ok, but ones that harmlessly make fun of a silly idea via reductio ad absurdum should be moderated out?

Look out! Latin is verboten!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law