IGNORED

Audio Forum vs. Cycling Forum - behavior and attitudes

Cycleman

It was just a suggestion little fanboy; go suck up to someone else.

Two online forums mean a lot to me, this one for audio and the Paceline forum for cycling.

In a basic sense, these two forums are quite alike.

* Anyone can join for free (although some payment is possible).

* Members tend to be enamored of their areas (computer audio and bicycling, respectively).

* Discussions sometimes stay on topic, but can diverge widely (since this is, of course, the internet).

However, in tone, behavior, and attitudes, the two forums differ greatly.

I quoted the person above -- screen name changed -- since that kind of obnoxious posting too often makes me not want to spend too much time here.

Does anyone else feel that way?

In contrast, if someone, a newbie no less like the person quoted above, regularly posted with such a tone on the Paceline forum, he or she probably wouldn't last for long.

In essence, there's a lot more mutual respect on the cycling forum than this audio forum.

Perhaps that's in the nature of the beasts. I mean, while some of us here share audio experiences with others some of the time, it's often a solo endeavor, not a social thing. With cycling, though, even though some people ride alone, many if not most people ride with others. Therefore, cycling likely contributes more to a sense of being in this together, while audio can be isolating.

And an isolated person is more likely to be boorish than someone who is part of a community.

Now, there can be, and still often is, a fine sense of community here on the Computer Audiophile board. But the regular seepage of politeness, the attitude of "I'm right and the rest of you know squat," is a regular visitor here, even among some long-time members.

In contrast, while people on the Paceline forum might say "Campagnolo is better" or "Shimano is better" or "steel is better," et cetera, most of the time disagreements about these issues are a source of kidding around, not the type of bs attitude quoted above.

I don't know if this post will do anything.

I don't believe it will, really.

I just had to say these things -- because the contrast is so striking to me.

Dave, who says if someone attacks him for this post with a holier-than-thou attitude that will just point to the possible accuracy of his statements

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Most people here are pretty reasonable, and even when we are poking at each other, it is mostly in jest. There are a few psychos, like that audio6 guy that was stalking me and a few other people, who in turn caused me not to show up for a local gathering. Seems like a number of these trolls have usernames that end in a one-digit integer.

In contrast, while people on the Paceline forum might say "Campagnolo is better" or "Shimano is better" or "steel is better," et cetera, most of the time disagreements about these issues are a source of kidding around, not the type of bs attitude quoted above.

"Perhaps that's in the nature of the beasts".

Not to defend rude behaviour but, by way of analogy, I don't believe that in cycling you have one group telling another group that it's impossible for there to be any difference between Campagnolo and Shimano and, unless they can provide independent testing to prove that one is better than the other, they must be wrong. I expect that a similar analogy can/will be provided by the other side.:)

Such controversies breed passionate responses that sometimes cross the line in civility.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I know of no other hobby, in which some enthusiasts try to tell other enthusiasts how they may or may not enjoy their toys.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

PS. Cycleman... You perhaps should have removed the link back to the original post if you wanted it anonymous.

As for attitudes on different forums ... I think you're right there can be some bad attitudes expressed here though they are a very small minority of posts. The attitude that comes close is in smartphone discussions (iOS vs Android).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I just registered on that forum. A few brief observations: (1) It is very small. (2) The registration process is a bit of an ordeal, and they ask you who the first American to win the Tour de France was, and I kept putting in Bower instead of LeMond (Bower was the first American to finish it I guess) which means you have to know something about the subject or at least make some effort to look it up. (3) I am still waiting for moderator approval, so immediately you get the sense that you will be watched. It makes it harder for someone to register just because they disagreed with you on Hydrogen Audio and want to stalk you perpetually from their mother's basement.

Cycleman,

been thinking the same for awhile.

cyclists tend to be more forgiving of other cyclists, mostly. riding the bike is a more physical (and maybe a mite more psycho) sport. reminds you of limits and mortality. puts things in perspective. cultivates a more respectful mindset for life and people. meet another rider and it’s all about brothers and sisters in laughs, blood, sweat, tears and all that.

audiophiles tend to be more reclusive. lonelier game. can’t be dropping in all the time on somebody. don’t expect somebody to be dropping in all the time either. and, quite hard to tell if that man or woman in the next table is an audiophile. unless he/she is a head-fier. which then makes it kind of hard to talk with headphones on.

but

one would really like to not believe/disagree that audiophiles need necessarily be lonely misanthropes, border-line sociopaths or just odd.

maybe kind of eccentric. because being obsessed with aural gratification is.

strange thing is: most audiophiles here, and in the real world, tend to be highly intelligent technical people. and, as they say, the line between the smart and the mad, especially amongst stable-analytics, can be blindingly thin. that, and people get old. and people get cranky. and cranky people do come across sometimes as misanthropes, sociopaths or just odd. and when cranky-mode people get together with angry people spoiling for a fight, sparks doth fly.

anyway, as posted this another thread, which has since been locked:

“I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.”

Lao Tzu.

IME, a refreshing bike ride is a great break from hi-fi-ing. might pick up that sweet winston 4wt again someday too.

I know of no other hobby, in which some enthusiasts try to tell other enthusiasts how they may or may not enjoy their toys.

I have seen things get pretty heated on whiskey forums when it comes to the right shape of the glass and whether or not ice/water should be added.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

This is either coincidence or perhaps something more, but I too have noted the exact same unfavourable contrast between this ( and other audio) sites and cycling forums and wondered why.

Compared to the (UK)Cyclists' Touring Club forum, this place is like the bar scene from Star Wars...

Mind you the Naim forums are pretty civilised too.

They have whiskey forums?

If you don't register under your own name, does that mean you are a member of alcoholics anonymous?

I think you'd be insane to register for any forum under your own name. (Sorry, Paul.)

“I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.”

Lao Tzu.

Briefly, to recall a western Russell :

Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.

1953i.27-900w.jpg

Longer

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

I think this is one of the best audio forums for knowledge sharing. I've learnt much more on here than many of the audio 'attitude centres' that exist.

I love cycling too, mainly MTB on country roads and bridleways, I might note that there is also sometimes a superiority complex that some roadies have over MTB riders.

;-)

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

so, (ahem) what's your favourite "aroma" so to speak?

I am more of a bourbon drinker than a scotch drinker so I'm partial to aromas that enhance the sweetness elements of bourbon such as those found in the lower right segment of this flavor wheel:

https://www.bourbonbanter.com/bourbon-banter/bourbon-flavor-wheel/#.VgBjZLQXWi8

Thanks. Have a couple of those but am still not 100% convinced.

I think they work well but aren't the most pleasant to drink from, especially if you have a large nose. :)

Sorry for the OT but is there a consensus on glass shape?

I have seen things get pretty heated on whiskey forums when it comes to the right shape of the glass and whether or not ice/water should be added.

Neither of you are Scottish so your opinions are irrelevant...

Which of course I won't comment further on that kind of statement!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.