IGNORED

Sonos Soundbar

Paul R

I need to setup decent sound in our family room, and there is just not a lot of space there. I was wondering, does anyone have the actual mounted dimensions of a Sonos's Soundbar. I have three and 3/4 inches to mount it, short of hanging a coupe Hercules Hooks in the wall and letting it swing free... I don't know if it will fit.

Also, has anyone made it work with the output of a Prepro?

I am figuring on running a single HDMI cable to the television, and then an optical connect to the Sonos. Should work, i think. Maybe. Maybe not. Problem is, more inputs than are available with the TV. (BRP, ATV, Roku, + PrePro for music.)

Alternately, anyone recommend a good sounding soundbar (I know, something of a conundrum...) that can take an HDMI input? Of yeah, and one that can sound decent without a sub? (No room for a sub, unless it mounts on the wall, darn it all!)

I have to admit, the Sonos sounds very good for a mere $700. Good enough for TV and occasional music listening.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I don't know if this would meet your goodness criterion, but I found the Vizio soundbar, which you can get ± wireless sub, accepts HDMI inputs and sounds decent for a TV.

If I were you, I would get three B&W M1 speakers (for L, R and center) and a small receiver like the Marantz 1403 (unless you can just use that existing pre-pro you mentioned).

That will give you a lot of flexibility and control, and will sound ok without a sub. If you can convince yourself to get a small sub and two additional satellite speakers later, it gives you the ability to upgrade simply by adding on. I have the 1402 (the obsolete precursor to the 1403) and it is entirely adequate.

+1 to Bill's suggestion of Bowers and Wilkins M1 (or similar) with a Marantz NR1403 (or similar). Also if you have a amplifier (or get one) Quad, Monitor Audio and others do "LCR in one box".

For good sounding soundbar ... perhaps Arcam Solo Bar. Another option is something like a B&W Zeppelin or NAD Viso.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I need to setup decent sound in our family room, and there is just not a lot of space there. I was wondering, does anyone have the actual mounted dimensions of a Sonos's Soundbar. I have three and 3/4 inches to mount it, short of hanging a coupe Hercules Hooks in the wall and letting it swing free... I don't know if it will fit.

Also, has anyone made it work with the output of a Prepro?

I am figuring on running a single HDMI cable to the television, and then an optical connect to the Sonos. Should work, i think. Maybe. Maybe not. Problem is, more inputs than are available with the TV. (BRP, ATV, Roku, + PrePro for music.)

Alternately, anyone recommend a good sounding soundbar (I know, something of a conundrum...) that can take an HDMI input? Of yeah, and one that can sound decent without a sub? (No room for a sub, unless it mounts on the wall, darn it all!)

I have to admit, the Sonos sounds very good for a mere $700. Good enough for TV and occasional music listening.

-Paul

Just installed three of these at a clients last week in various configurations.

Running pre pro to tv then optical out to PlayBar works like a charm.

Music, alternately, can run through your network (nas, computer, etc) with their app being interface instead of running it through the receiver then through tv optical.

They sound good, better with their wireless sub obviously but certainly far superior to tv speakers.

Specs:

image.png

Their mount works great also, making easy installation.

David

I don't know if this would meet your goodness criterion, but I found the Vizio soundbar, which you can get ± wireless sub, accepts HDMI inputs and sounds decent for a TV.

If I were you, I would get three B&W M1 speakers (for L, R and center) and a small receiver like the Marantz 1403 (unless you can just use that existing pre-pro you mentioned).

That will give you a lot of flexibility and control, and will sound ok without a sub. If you can convince yourself to get a small sub and two additional satellite speakers later, it gives you the ability to upgrade simply by adding on. I have the 1402 (the obsolete precursor to the 1403) and it is entirely adequate.

Those look really nice, but there just isn't room for stands or to run cables around, at least without punching holes in the wall and doing other things I don't want to do. :)

They are on the maybe list though. Thanks! -Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Just installed three of these at a clients last week in various configurations.

Running pre pro to tv then optical out to PlayBar works like a charm.

Music, alternately, can run through your network (nas, computer, etc) with their app being interface instead of running it through the receiver then through tv optical.

They sound good, better with their wireless sub obviously but certainly far superior to tv speakers.

Specs:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21011[/ATTACH]

Their mount works great also, making easy installation.

Thanks David! How much space does that thing need to hang safely on the wall? The 3.5" or 5.8" diameter?

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

turned for mounting on the wall, it's 3.5" deep and 5.8" tall. the wall mount bar is 0.5" in depth, so you could be looking at about 4" in total depth.

Thanks David! How much space does that thing need to hang safely on the wall? The 3.5" or 5.8" diameter?

-Paul

main rig:  simaudio moon mind 2 > chord dave > parasound jc-5 > kef reference 1
second rig:  simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > klipsch heresy 1

I've got the Sonos Playbar Paul and I think the sound is surprising good but I would caution I'm in a small space which I think might serve its design well. A larger space might require the Sonos sub. I've been streaming music to it also using the Sonos app, using JRemote with the Sonos set up in JRiver as a DLNA renderer (I think that's the proper term) and using iTunes to the Apple TV.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Thanks guys - Are you using the Playbar for volume control, or feeding that through a PrePro or AVR? Should I just order a simple HDMI switch? Have the choice between a Marantz 7005, an Onkyo TX636N, or the trusty NAD T747.

Or a Monoprice 4k HDMI switch...

Robert A. Heinlein

I've got the Sonos Playbar Paul and I think the sound is surprising good but I would caution I'm in a small space which I think might serve its design well. A larger space might require the Sonos sub. I've been streaming music to it also using the Sonos app, using JRemote with the Sonos set up in JRiver as a DLNA renderer (I think that's the proper term) and using iTunes to the Apple TV.

Yes, we are simplifying here Mike- we just have too much stuff and it is "weighing heavy" on us, if you know what I mean. Lots of stuff heading for the Goodwill or Caring Place I am afraid.

Robert A. Heinlein

Soundbar? How about the Paradigm MilleniaOne CT? Check the physical measurements for the speakers, they're actually quite small and compact. I was looking at these for someone, but the dependence on the Control Box and DSP "smiley" EQ turned me off to the idea.

Paradigm® | System (2.1 Fully Powered)

The Focal Bird system is another compact option. The speakers can mount to the wall with minimal damage.

Amazon.com: Focal Bird PAK 2.1 Speaker System, Black: Electronics

http://i.testfreaks.com/images/products/600x400/141/focal-bird.33171853.jpg

Soundbar? How about the Paradigm MilleniaOne CT? Check the physical measurements for the speakers, they're actually quite small and compact. I was looking at these for someone, but the dependence on the Control Box and DSP "smiley" EQ turned me off to the idea.

Paradigm® | System (2.1 Fully Powered)

The Focal Bird system is another compact option. The speakers can mount to the wall with minimal damage.

Amazon.com: Focal Bird PAK 2.1 Speaker System, Black: Electronics

http://i.testfreaks.com/images/products/600x400/141/focal-bird.33171853.jpg

Those are nice, but would require running cables through the wall to get a clean look, as well as a sub. Mostly this is trying for a clean, modern look, with the electronics all either as unnoticeable as possible, or congregated into one limited area. (i.e. Hard to hide a big TV mounted on the wall... )

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Those are nice, but would require running cables through the wall to get a clean look, as well as a sub. Mostly this is trying for a clean, modern look, with the electronics all either as unnoticeable as possible, or congregated into one limited area. (i.e. Hard to hide a big TV mounted on the wall... )

-Paul

I understand these are not exactly comparable to a soundbar, but the general consensus seems to be that soundbars should be an absolute last resort when there are similarly compact 2.1 alternatives. Just try harder to make one of the non-soundbar alternatives work. :)

FWIW, holes for running thin wire through walls can be virtually microscopic in size and very easily repaired later with a dab of spackle and paint. Bet you would never tell a hole was ever there.

Plus, not sure if you noticed, but that Focal Bird system includes the LF driver in the unit itself. Also, the amp can be mounted to the wall.

Anyway, hope you find the best solution.

I understand these are not exactly comparable to a soundbar, but the general consensus seems to be that soundbars should be an absolute last resort when there are similarly compact 2.1 alternatives. Just try harder to make one of the non-soundbar alternatives work. :)

FWIW, holes for running thin wire through walls can be virtually microscopic in size and very easily repaired later with a dab of spackle and paint. Bet you would never tell a hole was ever there.

Plus, not sure if you noticed, but that Focal Bird system includes the LF driver in the unit itself. Also, the amp can be mounted to the wall.

Anyway, hope you find the best solution.

(grin) Not quite microscopic when you have to drill through 2x4s ;)

But in any case, I am popping by a friends house to hear a set of birds tomorrow. Thanks for the tip :)

Robert A. Heinlein

• 2 weeks later...

I just added the Sonos Sub to the Playbar. I'm pretty amazed by the wireless thing after years of concern over this wire that wire. The tonal quality is quite exceptional. Adding this bottom end stepped it up a nice notch. While the tonal quality is totally acceptable to my ear I should mention due to the nature of the design and its purpose the imaging is decent but the soundstage is not what I'm use to being more "diffuse" for lack of finding a better descriptor.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I just added the Sonos Sub to the Playbar. I'm pretty amazed by the wireless thing after years of concern over this wire that wire. The tonal quality is quite exceptional. Adding this bottom end stepped it up a nice notch. While the tonal quality is totally acceptable to my ear I should mention due to the nature of the design and its purpose the imaging is decent but the soundstage is not what I'm use to being more "diffuse" for lack of finding a better descriptor.

I agree - much better than I expected. :)

I mounted the soundbar under the TV with the silver bar away from the TV, as suggested in the docs. Justforgrins, I reversed it the other day- what an improvement!!

Now admittedly, even under the TV the soundbar us 4ft off the deck.... But youmight try flipping it to see if it improves your sep.

Robert A. Heinlein