IGNORED

Nilsson Schmilsson?

It can be 24/96 if it was remastered from the analog tapes. How do you think they get hi-res versions of 50's-70's releases?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Um, yeah bud, I know how they can get 96/24, I'm an audio engineer. My question may not have been very clear, I'm just asking if this is actually 96/24 or upsampled from the RCA CD quality files, this is HDTracks we are talking about.

When was the last time you heard about HDT having an album like that? FYI, they don't produce any of these files, they are just a reseller. If they get something that's upsampled, it's from the label/vendor.

I follow them pretty closely. In the last couple of years there have been almost no cases like that. They claim they check the files before they go on site.

If you want the album, buy it and check it out. If you see it's upsampled, write their support with your order number and they'll make good on it. They've done it in the past.

BTW, it's also on sale at Acoustic Sounds. They've gone to the trouble to check the provenance of albums in the past when I've emailed and asked.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

When was the last time you heard about HDT having an album like that? FYI, they don't produce any of these files, they are just a reseller. If they get something that's upsampled, it's from the label/vendor.

I follow them pretty closely. In the last couple of years there have been almost no cases like that. They claim they check the files before they go on site.

If you want the album, buy it and check it out. If you see it's upsampled, write their support with your order number and they'll make good on it. They've done it in the past.

BTW, it's also on sale at Acoustic Sounds. They've gone to the trouble to check the provenance of albums in the past when I've emailed and asked.

I don't know the last time because I rarely purchase from them; I've certainly followed threads about such releases before, thought it would be a fine place to ask this question considering this is an HDTracks "support" section of the forum, and the other posts are all about the same question. Didn't think I'd get the response that I should buy the record myself, run it through software, then request a refund if I can prove its not worth it? Don't see that suggestion on any of the other threads, but I appreciate the Acoustic Sounds info, as I shop from them much more often.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. We actually check every single album before it's put up in the store. Anything that is upsampled is rejected.

Appreciated. I'm curious about how the checking is done, if you would be kind enough to describe the process (particularly hardware/software used). Thanks.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Here is a page that outlines our testing process:

HDtracks Quality Process | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

In order to fully test our audio we we use software such as sound forge, Music scope, audacity, and a variety of plugins.

Thank you!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Their process for checking looks like it's fairly serious.

I'm still not sure this makes them immune to this trick:

Upsample 16/44 or 24/44 to DSD and the release an SACD. Later, use the DSD layer of the SACD to produce a 24/176 or 24/88 PCM file.

This does happen sometimes with classical music that was recorded in non-high res and then an SACD produced. I've seen a few cases where middlemen (not the labels themselves) have done this and pushed the "hi-res" PCM version to reseller sites.

Some of the classical labels are honest about producing SACDs this way, but say many of their customers want SACDs, especially in multi-channel, in spite of the upsampling for SACD production.