IGNORED

Interesting John Hiatt Find

One of my favorite albums is John Hiatt's Bring The Family. I have it at 16/44.1 (PCM), 24/96 (PCM), and 1/2.8224 (DSD). The sound on all three versions is great and the dynamic range numbers are great as well.

I was John's catalog on TIDAL this morning and noticed something called Chronicles. In the notes it said this was just a compilation of three albums, including Bring The Family. Also in the notes it said this was a remastered version. I clicked the Credits button from within Roon to see who mastered it and found it was Doug Sax. Doug has mastered some of the best sounding albums of all time, so I was very interested.

I found the Chronicles albums available for download from Pono at 16/44.1 - > https://www.ponomusic.com/ccrz__CCPage?pageKey=product&oId=of%3A39da57bc4e0342f09e493e7276f6df25&type=Album&artistId=of%3A6eb2113ab39845428c15ad27cb0a76d3

Fortunately I was able to purchase the tracks from Bring The Family without purchasing the entire set because this is all I wanted.

Anyway, I just started listening to the Doug Sax version and look forward to comparing all the versions I have :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

One of my favorite albums is John Hiatt's Bring The Family. I have it at 16/44.1 (PCM), 24/96 (PCM), and 1/2.8224 (DSD). The sound on all three versions is great and the dynamic range numbers are great as well.

I was John's catalog on TIDAL this morning and noticed something called Chronicles. In the notes it said this was just a compilation of three albums, including Bring The Family. Also in the notes it said this was a remastered version. I clicked the Credits button from within Roon to see who mastered it and found it was Doug Sax. Doug has mastered some of the best sounding albums of all time, so I was very interested.

I found the Chronicles albums available for download from Pono at 16/44.1 - > https://www.ponomusic.com/ccrz__CCPage?pageKey=product&oId=of%3A39da57bc4e0342f09e493e7276f6df25&type=Album&artistId=of%3A6eb2113ab39845428c15ad27cb0a76d3

Fortunately I was able to purchase the tracks from Bring The Family without purchasing the entire set because this is all I wanted.

Anyway, I just started listening to the Doug Sax version and look forward to comparing all the versions I have :~)

Thanks for posting. $38 for redbook remasters of stuff every Hiatt fan already has is a bit steep, but please let us know how it sounds, and how the DR numbers compare with the original CD versions.

Thanks for posting. $38 for redbook remasters of stuff every Hiatt fan already has is a bit steep, but please let us know how it sounds, and how the DR numbers compare with the original CD versions.

I agree it's a bit steep for purchasing the same thing, but fortunately it's for sale on a per track basis. Anyway, I'll publish some numbers soon.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Indeed it is a great album :) I own the SACD, but I do not think it is the version you are looking for.

Lipstick Sunset is my favorite!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: John Hiatt / Bring The Family [DSD]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR12 -2.07 dB -16.07 dB 4:01 01-Memphis In The Meantime

DR12 -1.60 dB -16.10 dB 4:46 02-Alone In The Dark

DR12 -2.07 dB -16.41 dB 4:15 03-Thing Called Love

DR12 -2.60 dB -16.41 dB 4:13 04-Lipstick Sunset

DR13 -1.96 dB -16.92 dB 4:05 05-Have A Little Faith In Me

DR12 -2.15 dB -16.47 dB 4:10 06-Thank You Girl

DR12 -2.62 dB -17.45 dB 5:52 07-Tip Of My Tongue

DR11 -2.12 dB -15.81 dB 4:03 08-Your Dad Did

DR12 -2.14 dB -16.64 dB 5:58 09-Stood Up

DR11 -2.48 dB -16.52 dB 4:10 10-Learning How To Love You

Number of tracks: 10

Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 2822400 Hz / PCM Samplerate: 88200 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 24

Bitrate: 5645 kbps

Codec: DSD64

================================================================================

DVD-Audio rip

Two questions:

1- DVD Audio Extractor used? I've used used it on mac for the grand count of 1 DVD-Audio... :)

2- Comments on the remastered Bring The Family?

Thx.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Has anyone heard the Mobile Fidelity remaster or does anyone have DR numbers for it?

John Hiatt Bring The Family MFSL Ultradisc CD 1987 RARE | eBay

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Filename

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR12 -0.87 dB -15.12 dB 01 John Hiatt - Memphis In The Meantime.wav

DR12 -0.65 dB -15.44 dB 02 John Hiatt - Alone In The Dark.wav

DR12 -0.86 dB -15.03 dB 03 John Hiatt - Thing Called Love.wav

DR12 -1.52 dB -15.75 dB 04 John Hiatt - Lipstick Sunset.wav

DR12 -3.33 dB -17.73 dB 05 John Hiatt - Have A Litte Faith In Me.wav

DR12 -1.12 dB -15.63 dB 06 John Hiatt - Thank You Girl.wav

DR13 -4.06 dB -19.55 dB 07 John Hiatt - Tip Of My Tongue.wav

DR12 -2.42 dB -16.78 dB 08 John Hiatt - Your Dad Did.wav

DR13 -0.66 dB -16.86 dB 09 John Hiatt - Stood Up.wav

DR11 -4.66 dB -18.77 dB 10 John Hiatt - Learning How To Love You.wav

Number of files: 10

Official DR value: DR12

I think it won't be any better. Old, good analogue record and high resolution brings nothing to it IMHO.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Two questions:

1- DVD Audio Extractor used? I've used used it on mac for the grand count of 1 DVD-Audio... :)

2- Comments on the remastered Bring The Family?

Thx.

I love it when I am ignored.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Here are some DR numbers from JRiver Media Center.

1/2.8224 DSD Version

BTF-DSD.png

PCM 24/96 Version

BTF-PCM.png

16/44.1 Doug Sax remastered Version

Chronicles.png

Where, please, does one find these editions, or rather, more specifically the DSD or 88.2 editions. I could only locate a download from Pono Music at 44.1/16 for $7+. Back to Goggle? Maybe I missed one Google that will answer my own query. BTW: the Pono download is enjoyable. Hiatt's a hit in my experience. Never realized he wrote Thing Called Love and Have A Little Faith In Me which I associated with Raitt and the film Phenomenon.

Best,

Richard

Oh! Amazon, DSD, starting at $150. I have a little faith but not prepared to spend the $150, although I spent nearly that much on a Frankie Vali double CD (laugh all you want). Also at Ebay right now for $45 or best offer.

Where, please, does one find these editions, or rather, more specifically the DSD or 88.2 editions. I could only locate a download from Pono Music at 44.1/16 for $7+. Back to Goggle? Maybe I missed one Google that will answer my own query. BTW: the Pono download is enjoyable. Hiatt's a hit in my experience. Never realized he wrote Thing Called Love and Have A Little Faith In Me which I associated with Raitt and the film Phenomenon.

Best,

Richard

Oh! Amazon, DSD, starting at $150. I have a little faith but not prepared to spend the $150, although I spent nearly that much on a Frankie Vali double CD (laugh all you want). Also at Ebay right now for $45 or best offer.

Found the DSD on ebay for $44 last week. Very nice DSD, ripped it already with my PS3 (PS3, not Sonoma, and I got all the frigging tracks! Sorry I'm reeling from a different thread). There are more to be found on ebay.

Chris got the 24/96 ripped from a DVD-Audio. Alas he won't answer my question on what he used to rip it.

Remaster is from Pono.

system pics

Found the DSD on ebay for $44 last week. Very nice DSD, ripped it already with my PS3 (PS3, not Sonoma, and I got all the frigging tracks! Sorry I'm reeling from a different thread). There are more to be found on ebay.

Chris got the 24/96 ripped from a DVD-Audio. Alas he won't answer my question on what he used to rip it.

Remaster is from Pono.

Hello Miguel,

Thank you. Sorry you're put out by other experiences. I just visited Ebay and saw a Hiatt already sold, I take it that was your purchase (or not). Now there's another for $45. I already have the remastered from Pono which I can enjoy. Perhaps Chris will get around to responding to your post.

Appreciate your thoughtful response.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Hello Miguel,

Thank you. Sorry you're put out by other experiences. I just visited Ebay and saw a Hiatt already sold, I take it that was your purchase (or not). Now there's another for $45. I already have the remastered from Pono which I can enjoy. Perhaps Chris will get around to responding to your post.

Appreciate your thoughtful response.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

After listening to it last night, I'd say I wouldn't deem the DSD version a must-have. If the remaster on Pono sounds good, then I'd just stick to that.

system pics

After listening to it last night, I'd say I wouldn't deem the DSD version a must-have. If the remaster on Pono sounds good, then I'd just stick to that.

Thank you. Actually, I played those two selections I referred to and my wife and her massage therapist asked me about them, having enjoyed the playback. Me too! BTW: I use DVDAE and MakeMKV for DVD-A, Blu-ray, DVD. And you woke me up about my Door's box-set collection in DTS which I have never ripped. Need to follow through. Sorry for the OT.

Best,

Richard

Ooops! The Doors, Perception, are DVD/CD. I was thinking of Neil Young Box Set, Neil Young Archives Volume I (1963 - 1972) (Ten-Disc Edition), sorry.

Thank you. Actually, I played those two selections I referred to and my wife and her massage therapist asked me about them, having enjoyed the playback. Me too! BTW: I use DVDAE and MakeMKV for DVD-A, Blu-ray, DVD. And you woke me up about my Door's box-set collection in DTS which I have never ripped. Need to follow through. Sorry for the OT.

Best,

Richard

Ooops! The Doors, Perception, are DVD/CD. I was thinking of Neil Young Box Set, Neil Young Archives Volume I (1963 - 1972) (Ten-Disc Edition), sorry.

Cool. I bought DVDAE and ended up using on the grand number of ONE DVD-Audio rip (which turned out great). That was Seal IV. Might use it again on those Blu-ray thingies people put out these days... Do you happen to know what format the 2-ch music is in?

system pics

Cool. I bought DVDAE and ended up using on the grand number of ONE DVD-Audio rip (which turned out great). That was Seal IV.

You could use it for Beatles 1.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

You could use it for Beatles 1.

Ah! Yes! Thank you for reminding me. I did use it for that as well. In fact it was you who clued me in re that disc having the high res tracks.

system pics

Cool. I bought DVDAE and ended up using on the grand number of ONE DVD-Audio rip (which turned out great). That was Seal IV. Might use it again on those Blu-ray thingies people put out these days... Do you happen to know what format the 2-ch music is in?

Hello Miguel,

My entire library is AIFF/DSD. I believe you can set format in advance. Or employ Max to convert to your format of choice. Hope that answers your question.

Best,

Richard

My entire library is AIFF/DSD. I believe you can set format in advance. Or employ Max to convert to your format of choice. Hope that answers your question.

Same here, AIFF/DSF. I meant to ask what resolution you get out of Blu-ray, whether it's 24/96 or other.

system pics

Same here, AIFF/DSF. I meant to ask what resolution you get out of Blu-ray, whether it's 24/96 or other.

Feeling silly trying to remember. I believe it renders at 48/24. Why? I don't know. The last Blu-Ray was CSNY 1974. Not presently able to examine my conversion. To be continued. Sorry.

Best,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip. Got mine DVD-A from Amazon today; great DR12 rip on my server now.