IGNORED

Design a PC/Server for ROON and HQ Player

sgr

11 hours ago, jabbr said:

Nice! Those 9900ks are gone I think. I’m still going back and forth on the i9-10x vs Xeon 2200 series, PCIe 16 for both my GPU and NIC

It depends on a shop, here one local shop still has 20 in stock.

11 hours ago, jabbr said:

So anyways, which CPU has better AVX512 clock rates?

What I've found Xeon W-2245 is maybe the best in that respect. Unless you are OK to cut number of cores to half and go quad core for which there is W-2225.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

What I've found Xeon W-2245 is maybe the best in that respect. Unless you are OK to cut number of cores to half and go quad core for which there is W-2225.

Is the AVX512 speed still important when also using a CUDA engine ... eg RTX 2080?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Is the AVX512 speed still important when also using a CUDA engine ... eg RTX 2080?

Or let me ask a different way, how much does CUDA acceleration reduce the use of AVX512? 

Some of the new i9-10 chips have an impressive all-core boost but perhaps AVX512 power draw keeps the cores throttled at base? Assuming CUDA eliminates AVX512, then the CPU should be judged at fasted boost speed. Assuming CUDA doesn't change AVX512 then processor should be judged at base speed.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Or let me ask a different way, how much does CUDA acceleration reduce the use of AVX512? 

Some of the new i9-10 chips have an impressive all-core boost but perhaps AVX512 power draw keeps the cores throttled at base? Assuming CUDA eliminates AVX512, then the CPU should be judged at fasted boost speed. Assuming CUDA doesn't change AVX512 then processor should be judged at base speed.

I don't know yet how those new chips behave with AVX512, needs to be tested. Potentially especially EC modulators (that do much more computations) can still benefit from AVX512 also in form of larger registers, given that clocks don't get throttled too much.

On 3/24/2020 at 11:58 PM, Miska said:

I don't know yet how those new chips behave with AVX512, needs to be tested. Potentially especially EC modulators (that do much more computations) can still benefit from AVX512 also in form of larger registers, given that clocks don't get throttled too much.

Miska

I am looking at building an AMD Ryzen 3950X based CAS, will use HQP. I understand that this processor does not support AVX512. You have constantly talked about AVX512 for your CAS build. How critical is this? In the overall scheme of things?

Thanks

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

1 minute ago, zerung said:

I am looking at building an AMD Ryzen 3950X based CAS, will use HQP. I understand that this processor does not support AVX512. You have constantly talked about AVX512 for your CAS build. How critical is this? In the overall scheme of things?

It depends on the model, current desktop CPU's like i9-9900KS doesn't support it either. "Only" up to AVX2 (which is based on 256-bit register set).

I just want it for my development machine because it makes it easier to test things during development cycle.

14 hours ago, Miska said:

It depends on the model, current desktop CPU's like i9-9900KS doesn't support it either. "Only" up to AVX2 (which is based on 256-bit register set).

I just want it for my development machine because it makes it easier to test things during development cycle.

Thanks Miska. So that does not make issues for me to consider for now.

Folks

My parts list for CAS (Roon/HQP) is as follows:

Please give me your comments.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 
MSI MPG X570 Gaming PRO Carbon WiFi Motherboard (Or Sim)
Apacer RAM 2660 (Or Sim) - Still thinking about the total RAM?
32GB Optane card
Jcat Femto Net
Jcat Femto USB
Turemetal UP10 fanless case

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

18 hours ago, jabbr said:

I bit the bullet and ordered a Dell 5820 with the W-2245

With the W-2255 which provides some extra cores and same turbo speed the cost is very effective

image.thumb.png.1a99a0c91fae6cf9813f60caa2705a6c.png

I just think I'm going to go the building route with the silent fans and board and chassis

But the cost of the workstation is undeniably good

image.png

36 minutes ago, luisma said:

I just think I'm going to go the building route with the silent fans and board and chassis

But the cost of the workstation is undeniably good

Yes, also I can't easily get any Xeon W-2200 parts at reasonable prices at the moment. So ... hmm ... looks like the i9-10900k is looking fast (>5 Ghz) but no AVX512 ... the i9-10900X has AVX512 and more PCIe but no faster than the W-2245 ... this confused me a bit (K vs X 😆) ... the version I ordered has Ubuntu 18.04 pre-loaded which also saves a few bucks. 

Yeah if I were going with a "K" part then you can watercool etc. I know lots of folks like to use their own cables and optimize electrically and certainly a silent PC is great if the PC is in the same room as your audio equipment but my approach is to go for the highest performance, use the highest possible rates with HQPlayer and best filters, and then use a great isolation network.

This is a great thread, but I've always thought it was misplaced in the "Software" sub-forum, so I started a new thread where I'll post my performance stats with my new Xeon W-2245 workstation (hint, without the GPU it can already handle everything except DSD512 EC

• 3 months later...

greetings

I wonder if I can get some advice

I only listen to tidal now 

set up

chord mojo--- avid integra--- harbth 5shl plus 40th anniversary

Avid Integra amp it has no remote control

my dac for the time being is chord mojo and i have the chord poly, sometimes i use the poly but most of the time i use the mojo connected by usd to my computer

i like to be able to control the volume from my couch without always having to reach out to the amp, and maintain the sound quality.

i am now considering roon with hq player to a have good digital volume control, as using the digital volume control of tidal apps i feel the sound quality is not as great as using the volume control on my amp

would using hq player with roon be a good move to use them to control volume