IGNORED

Design a PC/Server for ROON and HQ Player

sgr

4 minutes ago, dctom said:

Thanks for the clarification. I am going to use an i7 9700T 35w  and the MB is pretty efficient power wise so hopefully amperage draw will not be too high and system will run at a lowish temperature. Will use a separate power supply for the 24 pin ATX.

Do you plan on using HQPlayer to run any upsampling with this setup?

Yeah its a balance really between low temp and processing power. I use an i3 at the moment which can upsample to 2 x DSD at a struggle depending on filter used but gets very warm. The combination of the 9700T and Asrock MB should run a lot cooler at 128DSD without any stress and in "theory" improve SQ. The HDplex case is supposed to be able to deal with CPUs up to 95w. The system might even mange 256, time will tell😀

39 minutes ago, dctom said:

Yeah its a balance really between low temp and processing power. I use an i3 at the moment which can upsample to 2 x DSD at a struggle depending on filter used but gets very warm. The combination of the 9700T and Asrock MB should run a lot cooler at 128DSD without any stress and in "theory" improve SQ. The HDplex case is supposed to be able to deal with CPUs up to 95w. The system might even mange 256, time will tell😀

Let us know if it passes the smoke test!  And we want pictures if it doesn't!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my near final parts list for PC server that will be used for Roon > HQPlayer &  Photoshop tasks (not video).

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/chrisvh/saved/

I already have the 9900KS processor, and am about to acquire all the other parts, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions to tweak? It's been about 4-5 months since I assembled this list (which was solid at the time), but maybe something new out there for RAM or drives that might make more sense?

TIA

11 minutes ago, ChrisVH said:

Here is my near final parts list for PC server that will be used for Roon > HQPlayer &  Photoshop tasks (not video).

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/chrisvh/saved/

I already have the 9900KS processor, and am about to acquire all the other parts, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions to tweak? It's been about 4-5 months since I assembled this list (which was solid at the time), but maybe something new out there for RAM or drives that might make more sense?

TIA

Deleted, answered my own question in that 10 bit color requires that GPU.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

On 8/20/2019 at 8:14 AM, rando said:

This continues to be a sticking point after reading this.

Which is why I listed two commercially viable retailers more than capable of meeting your commercial needs and working towards a parts list they will use to build it for you.  Once that is set we can address improving audio performance for your leisure time. :)

Late to the party, here, but...  There are just as good computer builders in every town.   Want to ship your system back when it breaks?  I didn’t think so.  Not the best recommendation in my view.

34 minutes ago, elan120 said:

I just put together my server with i9900KS few weeks ago, but since my build is only used as a server, the RAMs used may not be applicable to you, but since these Apacer WT ECC UDIMM offer excellent SQ, it is well worth to consider.

Just that 9900K(S) doesn't support ECC RAM...

I just upgraded my Windows development machine to i9-9900KS with new 1000W PSU, Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard and Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 2666 CL13 RAM. Same RTX 2080Ti GPU continues on it as before. And the performance is as expected, all cores can run at 5 GHz without trouble. It is also actually pretty quiet even at full load. First time I'm testing BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 instead of Noctua ND-H15.

Many of the HQPlayer algorithms are heavy on memory access, so amount of cache and RAM speed are critical.

P.S. Amount of power cables is a bit of a mess, because motherboard alone takes four power cables, plus two power cables to the RTX2080Ti....

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

Late to the party, here, but...  There are just as good computer builders in every town.   Want to ship your system back when it breaks?  I didn’t think so.  Not the best recommendation in my view.

I'm absolutely sure the only person whose input he was going to settle for lives in a Nordic country many miles from him or his system integrator. 

In the absence of any social or enthusiast cues.  I did in fact take his intent to play no active part in the selection, shopping, or construction of a multiple use box right through to it's most natural end.  A paid shopping consultant that would take him the distance.  Your commendation, late as it is in coming to the fore, would not have impacted this in the least.  ;)

On 1/24/2020 at 1:25 PM, Miska said:

First time I'm testing BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 instead of Noctua ND-H15.

P.S. Amount of power cables is a bit of a mess, because motherboard alone takes four power cables, plus two power cables to the RTX2080Ti....

Any result on the Dark Rock 4 vs Noctua?

Regarding the 'mess' of power cables, would you build with a different (bigger) chassis if you could start from scratch? If so, what chassis?

6 minutes ago, ChrisVH said:

Any result on the Dark Rock 4 vs Noctua?

Dark Rock 4 is a bit smaller than the Noctua. But I would say roughly about as quiet, so no big difference in cooling performance or sound level of the fan. So I would say both are good options.

With Dark Rock 4 I cannot use two of the RAM banks (ones closer to CPU), at least with HyperX Predator. While Noctua with cooler mounted only in the middle allows this better.

10 minutes ago, ChrisVH said:

Regarding the 'mess' of power cables, would you build with a different (bigger) chassis if you could start from scratch? If so, what chassis?

I don't think it can get much bigger. There is one step bigger Fractal Design case, but then cable reach could become an issue. Now the CPU power cables (2) are routed behind the motherboard plate, making things a bit cleaner.

18 minutes ago, dctom said:

Using audiolinux OS

It is running HQplayer 2xDSD with ADSM7EC nicely, sounds very good at the moment - I guess there will be some burn in.

cpu temp 32-36 degC,  core 1 runs at about 90%, 2,3, and 4 are at about 5/9%. Don,t know why No1 core is running at such a high useage?

Something is going wrong in the OS.

It should look more like this, this is from i5-7600T (Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS with my kernel and HQPlayer Embedded 4.14):

Screenshot_2020-01-30_01-46-37.thumb.png.db5e0f154e4837a1c7a1b5a40b38563c.png

Looks like a nice computer build! :)

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Building a new HQPE server ... between the Intel i9-10900k and AMD Ryzen 9 3900X : https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-10900k-vs-amd-ryzen-9-3900x-cpu-benchmarks-leak/

Will use 2080 GPU

Prediction on best for HQPe ... highest rates / best filters ? Plan both stereo and digital crossover ... so 2-8 channels DSD512 ... ? DSD1024

Likely the Intel part is better due to higher per-core speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

@jabbr  I'm assembling the components for an i9-9900KS build and stumbled across this review that has some comments about the Ryzen 3900 being better at heavily loaded multi-thread operations.  The 3900 max speed is 4.6GHz vs the 5.2 they got OC'ing the KS.  Not sure how the 10900K stacks up.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-9900ks/20.html

Have you purchased / progressed with the build yet?