IGNORED

Design a PC/Server for ROON and HQ Player

sgr

26 minutes ago, dminches said:

Kal, the fans are much louder than the pump.  Frankly, I don't think I have ever heard the pump itself.

You mentioned using a Corsair cooler.  Can you please specify exactly which model you have used?  I've never really considered liquid cooling but for my upcoming i7-9700k build I may go this route.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

6 minutes ago, tboooe said:

You mentioned using a Corsair cooler.  Can you please specify exactly which model you have used?  I've never really considered liquid cooling but for my upcoming i7-9700k build I may go this route.

I used the Corsair Hydro Series, H100i PRO.  You just have to check compatibility with your socket and your case.  You need to check the size of the fans and associated radiator and what your case can fit.

Which case are you planning on using?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

2 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I've been told otherwise but that's why I wish there was reliable and comparable test info.

The pumps that are used to cool the entire case can be noisier. The pumps used just for the CPU are small and quiet.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

3 hours ago, dminches said:

The pumps that are used to cool the entire case can be noisier. The pumps used just for the CPU are small and quiet.

That is entirely logical, of course, but several fabricators have suggested otherwise.  In this, I feel blind without either usefully comparable measurements or hand's on (or ear's on) experience.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I have an Alienware Aurora G1 (10 yrs old?) with factory liquid cooling, no leaks, and the air fans are much louder.  I do not think I have ever ever heard the liquid pump.  My QNAP is loudest when rebooting during a firmware update.  Note that both devices are far away from my primary music listening.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

13 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

I have an Alienware Aurora G1 (10 yrs old?) with factory liquid cooling, no leaks, and the air fans are much louder.  I do not think I have ever ever heard the liquid pump.  My QNAP is loudest when rebooting during a firmware update.  Note that both devices are far away from my primary music listening.

That's been my experience too.

23 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

I have my i7-6950X server in the listening room corner, connected directly to T+A DAC8 DSD (and has RME HDSPe AIO card for digital inputs). It is quiet enough that I cannot register difference with dB meter from listening place whether it is on or off. My breathing is so much louder.

Since many of my machines are running 24/7, I'm sometimes a bit concerned what happens when they eventually fail...

Usually spinning 3.5" HDD's tend to be the loudest and most problematic part. But that server doesn't have any. Only M.2 SSD for the OS. All media is accessed over network from a different room. (2.5" laptop HDD's can be quiet)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been looking to PC configurations here and they are over 1500 euros with i9 9900 ks and minimum or no ssd, 16 go RAM ; why not a bargained PC

such as https://www.amazon.fr/Memory-PC-i7-9700K-Graphics-Windows/dp/B07NCXK66H/ref=sr_1_8?adgrpid=67646500294&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7-94cnJ5gIVlJ3VCh2EAQJWEAMYAyAAEgLhYPD_BwE&hvadid=341630382846&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9055186&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1o3&hvqmt=b&hvrand=6516408233405086463&hvtargid=kwd-562296177505&hydadcr=7972_1754989&keywords=intel%2Bi9%2B9700k&qid=1577029143&sr=8-8&th=1

that includes i7 9700 for 769 euros (9900 is 200 euros more) ?

will I be able to use ext2/asdm7EC and convolution @ any rate ( to DSD 128)?

On 12/22/2019 at 5:48 PM, Le Concombre Masqué said:

I have been looking to PC configurations here and they are over 1500 euros with i9 9900 ks and minimum or no ssd, 16 go RAM ; why not a bargained PC

i9-9900KS CPU is about 650€ alone, just for the CPU... Being a limited edition, for example in Finland it is pretty much out of stock now.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:18 PM, steveoat said:

Are the Nvidia RTX 2060 or 2070 good options to use with HQ Player.

My current CPU is an AMD Ryzen 3800X.

Hard to say, I have only RTX 2080 and 2080Ti. And I was surprised how much faster 2080Ti was compared to 2080.

But as rough ballpark, GPU shouldn't be cheaper than the CPU, or otherwise it will cause just slowdown (CPU is waiting for GPU to complete work).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 7:45 PM, Miska said:

One option for motherboard is the one I used recently, see here:

Among other things you get special low noise USB ports.

Hi Jussi

I noticed you had good results with this board. 

I notice it has 2 ATX 12v cpu power connectors, do they both need to be connected or can you just use No1?

I ran into this when I was building 

On 1/5/2020 at 8:56 AM, dctom said:

Hi Jussi

I noticed you had good results with this board. 

I notice it has 2 ATX 12v cpu power connectors, do they both need to be connected or can you just use No1?

I ran into this when I was building my hqp PC.

I ended up using a 750 watt Cosair PS that had two atx12v connectors.  Its overkill for my PC, but made the build easier, and its a nice supply.

Otherwise, I found an adapter that  lets you take another 12v power, probably pcie, and has a atx12v connector on the other end.

Didn't save the link, but I know they are out there if you look.

I also saw some builds where guys connected just one of those connectors, I guess it really depends how much power your processor is pulling. 

24 minutes ago, dctom said:

Have gone for a different board now to avoid the issue, an Asrock Z390 phantom ITX/ac it only has the one connector.

I wouldn't see two atx12v connectors as a problem, but as an opportunity for improvement. At the beginning I only used an atx12v connector on my gaming board ASUS ROG Maximus XI Gene. No problem.

With the the second atx12v connector with doble single Keces P8, the system runs even more smoothly. I think a good linear power supply is a win. Double is better. 😁

At least with any bigger Seasonic or Corsair PSU, it shouldn't be a problem to run two 12V connections. Reason they do it is to avoid heating the cables and power loss at high current draws. It depends on the PMIC/PMU whether the system requires both connected.

At least I can tell that bigger RTX-series Nvidia GPUs really need two 8-pin power connectors. If they are not connected, the card will start up only enough to display text that you need to connect needed power cables.

I have seen some reports of cable heating problems when adapters are used. If the cable starts to warm up, there is certainly also power loss at that point.

On 12/23/2019 at 5:09 PM, Miska said:

Hard to say, I have only RTX 2080 and 2080Ti. And I was surprised how much faster 2080Ti was compared to 2080.

@Miska  Which specific 2080 TI model did you get?  I'm guessing you got one of the 11GB RAM models, but did you go for a Turbo or OC Gaming model?  Thanks!

42 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

@Miska  Which specific 2080 TI model did you get?  I'm guessing you got one of the 11GB RAM models, but did you go for a Turbo or OC Gaming model?  Thanks!

It is ASUS STRIX-series (because they are fairly quiet with big cooling system that runs fans only as needed). Order confirmation says "GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG Strix OC".

On 12/23/2019 at 5:09 PM, Miska said:

But as rough ballpark, GPU shouldn't be cheaper than the CPU, or otherwise it will cause just slowdown (CPU is waiting for GPU to complete work).

Thank you Miska.I have left my gtx1060 in and on but cannot say it makes a difference with my i9.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

7 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

I wouldn't see two atx12v connectors as a problem, but as an opportunity for improvement. At the beginning I only used an atx12v connector on my gaming board ASUS ROG Maximus XI Gene. No problem.

With the the second atx12v connector with doble single Keces P8, the system runs even more smoothly. I think a good linear power supply is a win. Double is better. 😁

I get your point, it's just that I want to use my Paul Hynes 12v psu to connect directly to the cpu ATX.

38 minutes ago, dctom said:

I get your point, it's just that I want to use my Paul Hynes 12v psu to connect directly to the cpu ATX.

The Hynes PSU should have enough wattage but use the heaviest gauge cables you can get our hands on!  Like Jussi said, you don't want voltage drop due to resistance heating.

8 hours ago, dctom said:

Thanks for the replies.

Have gone for a different board now to avoid the issue, an Asrock Z390 phantom ITX/ac it only has the one connector. It uses less power than the Aorus and runs a bit cooler, I want to use passive fanless cooling.

27 minutes ago, dctom said:

FWIW...the typically one 8-pin EPS connection with 18AWG is capable to supply more than 235W of power, so the limiting factor is PHD SR7 at 12V/10A, and not the motherboard.  Either ITX or ATX motherboard will work fine with one 8-pin EPS connected with HQPlayer running DSD256/EC7 upsampling.  Having two 8-pin EPS connected will help lower the overall impedance, which should contribute to better performance/SQ.

Thanks for the clarification. I am going to use an i7 9700T 35w  and the MB is pretty efficient power wise. So hopefully, amperage draw will not be too high and system will run at a lowish temperature. Will use a separate power supply for the 24 pin ATX.