IGNORED

Design a PC/Server for ROON and HQ Player

sgr

Miska: Forgive me it this has been asked before, but will HQPlayer be using some of the new 20x0 features such as tensor cores, DLSS and such? If not, then it might make sense for a 1080ti over a 2080 in both price and performance.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

33 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

it shuld be the 8700k ?

and GPU 1080ti maybe?

I don't understand.

As I mentioned, he can do xtr DSD512 with an i7-8700 (not K...) and no CUDA offloading... which means no GPU help...

Based on this, i9-9900K without a separate GPU should be pretty good... if I build one, I can confirm for sure. It's all guessing until I see it with my own eyes.

My build will be fully new, which is different to Jussi's excellent point about using existing CPU and existing motherboard and RAM - in this case of having existing components, adding an RTX 20280 GPU can be quite cost effective, for sure.

7 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I don't understand.

As I mentioned, he can do xtr DSD512 with an i7-8700 (not K...) and no CUDA offloading... which means no GPU help...

Based on this, i9-9900K without a separate GPU should be pretty good... if I build one, I can confirm for sure.

It's all guessing until I see it with my own eyes.

If you go this route, please check for rate family changes too. In my set up, that is where the GPU seems to work the most. Then again, I am using an old i7 3770k and a gtx1060. I can do most everything but XTR and shifting families such as 48k>22MHz. The latter pegs my GPU, the former pegs both IIRC.

Forrest:

6 minutes ago, 4est said:

If you go this route, please check for rate family changes too.

Good point.

Before I go this route, I will check with the guy who has the i7-8700 and see if he can do 44.1 to DSD512x48 and 48 to DSD512x44.1 with xtr non-2s.

I'm not going this route for experimentation 😁

I'm not concerned with the Closed Form filter, so it's really just the full suite of all poly-sinc filters I'd like to be able to do non 2s at DSD512, xtr being the most difficult of course.

5 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

Doing it without stuttering is something else ??

Yes, nobody likes or wants any kind of stuttering, not even a little bit, including the guy reporting with the i7-8700 😉

5 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

esp we are looking at DSD1024 later

Well Jussi has a Holo Spring2 with DSD1024 input, but it has sweet spot at DSD256, not DSD512...

So don't get too excited with DSD1024 too quickly 😉

Well it has 6 cores and 12 threads vs 6700k 4 cores.. 

yes the addn cores will help 

I dont really know 

On the days my SM200 Ultra Neo plays Nice abd can do DSD512 polysinc hb w/o stuttering I still find Dsd256 richer! Dsd512 has airier stereo soundstage but sounds Thinner!

Sweet spot is Dsd256 at least for me..

4 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Actually there is a reporting on Roon forum that i7-8700 can do xtr at DSD512 without CUDA offloading... no mention of closed form though.

That's very interesting indeed.  If I was thinking about upgrading my cpu and mobo I would seriously consider this option.  However, I think getting a GPU is unavoidable anyway for those of us that want to experiment with the various new filters that miska  creates so I figure I will take the plunge now and hopefully get a few more years from my cpu and mobo. 

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Intel has fumbled 10nm for so long that I'm seriously considering AMD Ryzen 3000 series with 500 series chipset for my next build if the product is available mid-2019 as rumored.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Before I go this route, I will check with the guy who has the i7-8700 and see if he can do 44.1 to DSD512x48 and 48 to DSD512x44.1 with xtr non-2s.

It would be first computer so far where anybody gets the first case running! :)

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

As I mentioned, he can do xtr DSD512 with an i7-8700 (not K...) and no CUDA offloading...

Good if that works, but I'm a bit suspicious. My 6950X can just barely do that, utilizing about 90% of all 10 cores. GTX1080 cannot do it. But RTX2080 can.

With -2s version, sure, no problem.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Just now, Miska said:

Do you have a link of any info what it is supposed to have?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-3000-cpu-everything-you-need-to-know/

Scroll down to the Desktop section.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, 4est said:

Does HQP even use SLI?

Not explicitly, but I don't know how clever the CUDA toolkit is in this respect. The documentation is not very clear about it. I could add more explicit support for it, I just need to get myself an SLI setup to test it first. But I think in fact SLI applies only to graphics and not compute. So you could as well have just two or more cards without connecting the them (using nowadays something called NVlink).

3 hours ago, redrockt990 said:

Miska/others, have you tested an overclocked 9900k with one or two 2080 Ti GPUs? Curious if a top shelf gaming rig is enough to run the most demanding filters, or if those still want more cores/threads like you get from the 7900/9900X to 7980/9980X CPUs. 

For the price you could already get a Titan V for example that has more oomph...

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Not explicitly, but I don't know how clever the CUDA toolkit is in this respect. The documentation is not very clear about it. I could add more explicit support for it, I just need to get myself an SLI setup to test it first. But I think in fact SLI applies only to graphics and not compute. So you could as well have just two or more cards without connecting the them (using nowadays something called NVlink).

Oh, now that makes sense. It is merely a resource or something then. What about the new tensor cores and such for the 20x0 cards. Would that make a difference in HQP?

Forrest:

5 hours ago, Miska said:

It would be first computer so far where anybody gets the first case running! :)

Good if that works, but I'm a bit suspicious. My 6950X can just barely do that, utilizing about 90% of all 10 cores. GTX1080 cannot do it. But RTX2080 can.

With -2s version, sure, no problem.

1517590626_ScreenShot2019-02-03at9_20_26am.thumb.png.7e4d0f6c379ef4fa49aac28c03e9de1d.png

And as you recall, his GPU usage was ~2%... CPU loading ~72% on Windows.

But only thing I'm not sure of is 44.1 to DSD512x48 and 48 to DSD512x44.1

Not that I care because my DAC supports both x44.1 and x48 rates.

So based on this, I feel (guess) the i9-9900K will be fine for me, for all the poly-sinc filters without separate GPU.

But it's only 1 data point that I'm guessing with 😁

31 minutes ago, 4est said:

What about the new tensor cores and such for the 20x0 cards. Would that make a difference in HQP?

No, Tensor cores are more specific to executing predefined AI (neural network) models for inference and maybe only partially applicable at the moment for raw DSP processing. DSP is just plenty of traditional number crunching.

When you read graphics marketing and CUDA (compute acceleration) things, the two are very weakly linked and Nvidia doesn't tell clearly what parts of the GPU are doing exactly what in CUDA scope. But likely most of the work is done by what is called "shaders" in graphics.

If you watch the video here, starting at 17:00, you can hear some story of the blocks. Notably the "New SM" part. Some of the operations may extend partially to the Tensor in terms of FMA. Terminology point of view Pascal = GTX10xx, Turing = RTX20xx.

Some more info specific to compute tasks is more in Volta launch which is more geared towards plain computing (between Pascal and Turing): 

At 20:30 they announce the Quadro GV100 and NVlink and multi-GPU. Then more about GPU computing/acceleration at 27:55.

For some entertainment on big iron, almost in Apple announcement style, starting at 54:35... :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 2:15 AM, redrockt990 said:

@Miska would it be difficult to add a benchmarking tool to HQP that could be used to gauge a PC’s abilities vis-a-vis various filters? 

HQPlayer 4 Pro can be used for benchmarking because it can be used in null output / free running mode. It now also prints out elapsed processing time on the status bar when processing completes.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, sig8 said:

What is a good MoBo and Intel processor for DSD 512 upsampling with Holo Spring 3 DAC? Currently I am running an i7-6700 on a Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 Motherboards GA-Z170X-UD5 TH.

Depending on what filter you use, the i7-6700 will handle DSD512 just fine.  I have the same CPU in a fanless case and I also have the Hold Spring L3 DAC.  I use the ext2 filter and the only issue I have is when I try to convert DSD64 or 128 to 512.  The other issue is that the CPU load is 60-70% and the temp gets up to 70c.  I am going to upgrade to a i7-9700k CPU in an actively cooled case.  The Mobo I chose is the Aorus z390 pro.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments