IGNORED

Design a PC/Server for ROON and HQ Player

sgr

54 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Please forgive my noob question regarding GPU, I've never used one before.  Does anyone us e one with Windows Server 2016 OS?  I'm considering the Asus ROG Strix RTX2080 08G OC and I see drivers for Windows 10 but not Server 2016.

I run WinServer 2016 CORE and Nvidia GTX 970 GPU. Just upgraded to WinServer 2019 Core. Of course running HQPlayer Desktop for Windows.

I just downloaded the Windows drivers for GTX series from the NVIDIA Website (the RTX drivers were also another category for download) 

Install WinServer 2019 on a new formatted Samsung 860Pro 256gb SSD and ran taskmgr.ext with CNTRL+ALT+DEL and your mouse now works. Under File Menu /Run : a dialog box pops up and you just insert the USB thumbstick with the NVIDIA drivers .ext and press return on OK . The drivers will install and it should be signed off security wise from NVIDIA. Everything works CUDA under HQPlayer 3.5.2 latest version . No problem. 

Kelvin

15 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

I run WinServer 2016 CORE and Nvidia GTX 970 GPU. Just upgraded to WinServer 2019 Core. Of course running HQPlayer Desktop for Windows.

I just downloaded the Windows drivers for GTX series from the NVIDIA Website (the RTX drivers were also another category for download) 

Install WinServer 2019 on a new formatted Samsung 860Pro 256gb SSD and ran taskmgr.ext with CNTRL+ALT+DEL and your mouse now works. Under File Menu /Run : a dialog box pops up and you just insert the USB thumbstick with the NVIDIA drivers .ext and press return on OK . The drivers will install and it should be signed off security wise from NVIDIA. Everything works CUDA under HQPlayer 3.5.2 latest version . No problem. 

Kelvin

Thank you Kelvin thats great to know.  So I can most likely just use the Win10 drivers for Server 2016.  Now I just need to save my pennies for the Asus STRIX ROG RTX2080.  I didnt realize GPUs were so expensive! The cheapest I found was $700 on ebay.  I was thinking they cost no more than $100.  LOL!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

1 hour ago, tboooe said:

Now I just need to save my pennies for the Asus STRIX ROG RTX2080.  I didnt realize GPUs were so expensive! The cheapest I found was $700 on ebay.  I was thinking they cost no more than $100.  LOL!

LOL same, I nearly fell off my chair.

I wonder, is a i7-9700K a smarter purchase @Miska , for non-2s upsampling to DSD512?

Smarter only as in, it can pull it off and is significantly cheaper?

Or is it unknown if it can do it?

Even the i9-9900K is cheaper and is 95W TDP, so fanless can be an option.

2 hours ago, tboooe said:

I didnt realize GPUs were so expensive! The cheapest I found was $700 on ebay.  I was thinking they cost no more than $100.  LOL!

18.9 billion transistors don't come for free, but relatively they are very inexpensive due to huge market, much more than just audiophiles... Same as for CPUs. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses, but together can put out some incredible performance...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

25 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

LOL same, I nearly fell off my chair.

I wonder, is a i7-9700K a smarter purchase @Miska , for non-2s upsampling to DSD512?

Smarter only as in, it can pull it off and is significantly cheaper?

Or is it unknown if it can do it?

Even the i9-9900K is cheaper and is 95W TDP, so fanless can be an option.

For CPU's you also need to factor in price of the motherboard and RAM. GPU's come with the board and RAM too. Then it suddenly doesn't look all that different in the end. And if you have something like 9900K + RTX 2080Ti you already have quite a lot of combined processing power. 

2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I didn't know this. So you just need to add a CPU to the GPU's board?

No, what miska is saying is that to make a cpu work you need to add a mobo, ram, PSU etc so you just can't compare the cost of a GPU to a cpu.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

7 minutes ago, tboooe said:

No, what miska is saying is that to make a cpu work you need to add a mobo, ram, PSU etc so you just can't compare the cost of a GPU to a cpu.

Oh yes. What I meant was a really powerful CPU like i7-9700K is half the price of the RTX 2080.

You will always need a CPU, so take the motherboard + RAM to work out. 

The question is what can and can't the i7-9700K do I guess.

But even the i9-9900K is cheaper than RTX 2080. But unless someone can confirm what these CPU's can and can't do, it's just guessing of course.

On the other hand, Jussi has an RTX 2080 so you know exactly what it can and can't do in advance (lower risk purchase).

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

Is it still cheaper with the motherboard and same amount of RAM included? RTX 2080 comes with 8 GB of GDDR6. RTX 2080 Ti comes with 11 GB of GDDR6.

I'm probably missing something very obvious because this GPU world is very foreign to me - even before HQPlayer, I never played any PC games, so there's a lot I don't know.

But this RAM that comes with the RTX 2080 can only be used by the GPU? Or does this RAM mean you don't need to purchase additional RAM for the main motherboard?

The main motherboard itself needs to be there for either CPU alone, or CPU + GPU, so we can take that out of the costing for comparisons? There are really cheap motherboards that can support i9-900K, like ASRock B360 Pro4 Motherboard

Just now, Em2016 said:

But this RAM that comes with the RTX 2080 can only be used by the GPU? Or does this RAM mean you don't need to purchase additional RAM for the main motherboard?

Yes, it is specific for the GPU.

1 minute ago, Em2016 said:

The motherboard itself needs to be there for either CPU alone, or CPU + GPU, so we can take that out of the costing? There are really cheap motherboards that can support i9-900K, like ASRock B360 Pro4 Motherboard

9900K also has built-in GPU, but it will sit idle not doing anything unless you do something graphics intensive like Roon or HQPlayer's "touch interface". But that built-in GPU is nothing like the Nvidia.

The i7-6950X for example, and the Xeon E5 I have don't have any built-in GPU, so for any display output a separate GPU is anyway a must.

But sure, this CPU + GPU stuff is not about cost cutting, but instead about building a computer with as much processing power as possible, cost aside.

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

9900K also has built-in GPU, but it will sit idle not doing anything unless you do something graphics intensive like Roon or HQPlayer's "touch interface". But that built-in GPU is nothing like the Nvidia.

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

But sure, this CPU + GPU stuff is not about cost cutting, but instead about building a computer with as much processing power as possible, cost aside.

Understood. I guess my only earlier point was, if the i9-9900K alone can do all of one's favourite filters in non-2s, then what extra GPU power is required (for lots of extra $$$$ for the RTX 2080)?

I'm only asking the question - we have to wait until someone can say what an i9-9900K can and can't do of course.

Until then I'm only asking questions , certainly not making a claim.

For sure though, there's no risk in following what you have working, like i7-7700K + RTX 2080. Since you have it working well, it takes all the guessing out for a purchasing decision.

Btw: Soon as I see some sale price on the i9-9900K, I plan to do a fanless build.

So I plan to find out what it can and can't do alone.

I discussed with HDPlex and they do have a fanless case that supports i9-9900K, that can also fit a specific RTX 2080 version (just in case I needed to add the GPU later if the i9-9900K alone isn't enough).

1 minute ago, Miska said:

For example on the 6950X machine I have also GTX 1080. It has exaSound e28 DAC connected. Whole point is to run upsampling to 8 channels output of DSD256 with digital room correction / digital cross-overs. 6950X cannot do it alone, and actually even with GTX 1080 it sill doesn't have enough power for all the things I want. But I will try again by replacing GTX 1080 with RTX 2080 Ti or maybe Titan V or RTX.

So use cases are for example:

1. 5.1 channel DSD64 SACD rips with digital room correction to 5.1 channel DSD256 output
  2. Stereo PCM and DSD to 4-way digital cross-over with room correction at DSD256 output
  3. Ultimate goal: enough power to have 7.1 channel hires PCM and 5.1 channel DSD SACD rips to 4-way digital cross-over with room correction at DSD256 output. That is max 32 channels at DSD256.

Other alternative is output to 8-channel Merging NADAC or 8+ channels to Horus/Hapi.

Yikes, yeah I definitely am not questioning why YOU are in need of the RTX 2080's help 😁.

You definitely need the horsepower more than me.

My use case for now is much simpler, mainly using headphones (Pro-Ject S2 DAC + THX 789 amp - incredible performance combination, for the price).

But when I get serious with speakers again, I do want to use HQP with digital room correction (probably multichannel too), so my CPU+GPU needs will definitely skyrocket, compared with now.

5 hours ago, tboooe said:

Thank you Kelvin thats great to know.  So I can most likely just use the Win10 drivers for Server 2016.  Now I just need to save my pennies for the Asus STRIX ROG RTX2080.  I didnt realize GPUs were so expensive! The cheapest I found was $700 on ebay.  I was thinking they cost no more than $100.  LOL!

Just read https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcbuildersclub.com/en/2018/11/faulty-rtx-2080-ti-nvidia-switches-from-micron-to-samsung-for-gddr6-memory/amp/

I was about to pull the trigger for a Zotac 2080tu 11gb GPU which is quite a bit cheaper than the ASUS Strix recommended by Jussi and Tom's Hardware as tge quietest 2080 GPU

Guess i hv to wait forNvidia to release V2.0 fitted with Samsung GDR4 memory

Does anyone have experience running tge Zotac 2080/ti GPUs

under load SPL is 43dbA

Planning to relocate the HQplayer PC if fitted with this Zotac GPU

Nvda share price got shellaced and during the qtrly results NVDA said Turing GPUs not selling well. Guess price cuts Coming👏👏👏👏

Double reason to wait

Kelvin

Regarding cutting cost, there are cases where adding a powerful GPU like RTX2080 is still actually cheaper. For example if one has something like i7-6700K or i7-7700K and wants to run for example poly-sinc-xtr filter, or closed-form-16M. It may be cheaper to buy 2080 ROG STRIX (1049€ here), or 2080 DUAL (789€ here) than to buy new motherboard and CPU.

With the 7700K + RTX2080 combination I can run poly-sinc-xtr also from 48k to 44.1k x512 which is important case for many DACs since they don't support 48k-base DSD rates.

7 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Nvda share price got shellaced and during the qtrly results NVDA said Turing GPUs not selling well. Guess price cuts Coming👏👏👏👏

Their sales have been cut a lot because of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency values sinking rapidly. So people don't buy lot of GPUs anymore for mining cryptocurrencies. Now one can actually get the better GPUs for gaming and other cases easily. They used to be constantly out of stock for past year or two...

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

Regarding cutting cost, there are cases where adding a powerful GPU like RTX2080 is still actually cheaper. For example if one has something like i7-6700K or i7-7700K and wants to run for example poly-sinc-xtr filter, or closed-form-16M. It may be cheaper to buy 2080 ROG STRIX (1049€ here), or 2080 DUAL (789€ here) than to buy new motherboard and CPU.

With the 7700K + RTX2080 combination I can run poly-sinc-xtr also from 48k to 44.1k x512 which is important case for many DACs since they don't support 48k-base DSD rates.

Definitely. I was more coming from the angle of a new build because I was doing these cost calculations just this past week - talking to HQPlex about if their case can support the RTX 2080. And it will be a completely new build for me. 

If you already have the CPU like those you mentioned and already had a suitable case for the GPU, then yep agree with everything above. Definitely worth crunching the numbers of just adding RTX 2080.

I hv the Rtx2080ti on my shopping list.. I resisted the 1080/1080ti as many esp Jussi hv said 6700/7700/8700k 's still cannot do the xtr and 1M /Close Form filters

Using Benchmarks for Gaming and PCMarks type tests Do Not show the truth of the above!! And the Threadrippers hv their single core slowness and HW /Driver /Bios issues!

So @Miska is spot on above!

My 6700k is run 20 hours a weekends only max as a dedicated Music Server . It us still on the 3year monthly re-payment(Great Visa Deal - Zero interest Zero down) 

So it is almost brand new.. so GTX970 leap frog straight to Asus Strix 2080ti😀

31 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

many esp Jussi hv said 6700/7700/8700k 's still cannot do the xtr and 1M /Close Form filters

Actually there is a reporting on Roon forum that i7-8700 can do xtr at DSD512 without CUDA offloading... no mention of closed form though.