IGNORED

Design a PC/Server for ROON and HQ Player

sgr

This is my build, designed to run headless Roon server + HG Player. Its fanless.

Streacom FC5 Alpha Fanless Case

Gigibyte GA-H170N-WIFI

6th Gen Intel Core i7-6700 Processor;

Streacom ZeroFlex 240;

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz ;

Samsung 850 Evo 250Gb M.2 SSD; Samsung 850 Evo 2Tb SSD;

TP Link PCIe GbE Fiber Network Card w/ Open SFP - yup fiber - Merging Nadac via FMC & SNP transreceivers.

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit OEM;

Thanks a lot for posting your configuration, will be very helpful for everybody! I was wondering about the CUDA stuff - is there a parameter that is crucial when choosing a CUDA compatible card - RAM for example? Or some computing capability as with CPUs?

• 4 weeks later...

Hj cjf,

I did feel exactly the same way as you do, in fact you probably know more than me about computers. I didn't know what Debian is, what is Jessie, deamon, image... In fact I asked several times if this or that piece of HW was going to work for a NAA and I got no reply but that is OK, I took the time to read a bit more on forums and I was able to do it all myself. It would have been easier, a lot easier for many people if there was a list of equipment, then a 1.2.3 of what to push and write in weird windows popping up but I guess a man can do only a few things at a time, Miska has done a great job of the software and it more important for me as the HQplayer sounds wonderful. You are in no hurry,I guess it is only going to get better with time, you should have seen it in the beginning ;)

At least for me the delay in DSC2 development is more painful than figuring out which filter to use, and choosing the filter is a PITA as well :)

Dear Miska,

I hope I did not sound disrespectful, I just felt the frustration that cjf experienced. But it is not supposed to be easy, is it? I have spent countless hours exchanging speaker cables and power cords to no significant effect, relative to that trying to understand what is a NAA and what is Debian was actually fun and in the end ultimately rewarding.

You gave us more than we were hoping for - those images are great for example are great, being spoon fed is nice sometimes :) And let it not sound as criticism but it would be nice if there is a line in the NAA description - NAA is a device that has to be able to run "this" software, basic requirements are "that". As well as - HQplayer requires CPU/RAM/HDD to run, best results obtained by CPUs with X number of cores and Y speed, CUDA video cards needs to have Z parameter higher than..., the more RAM the better(for example). I hope to be able to buy the freaking i7 6700K but in the mean time if there is an old working station with some kind of Xeon that is out of fashion and is not a million dollars that would be great, I just don't know what is important for the math in HQplayer- speed, number of cores, speed of RAM or some kind of bus... I think it was naughtyboy whose advice was that the CPU needs to score more than 8000 on a certain scale - is that OK because that was a great advice and I could easily check what is on the market locally and wait for a good deal?

You will not believe how profoundly uneducated some people like me are regarding computers. But as a friend of mine put it - I have no experience in shooting squirrels and I do not intend to gain any, I am a bit old to learn Linux though I tend to believe I am not so stupid ;)

All that with deepest respect for your generosity to provide the HQplayer to the public.

• 2 months later...

Thanks! As I said in the other thread - there are not many people ready to spend the time and money to try the million variables in practice, I have greatest respect for what you are trying to do and honeslty wish that the world reads a bit more about your server. Is there a way you can talk to a computer manufacturer to do a custom board for you?

I need a bit of advice as well,I am also planning a build as Miska's and I was asked by my personal comp advisor what type of stress do I expect on the 6700k and I could not answer right away so guys please help with a few words...

The computer will be created just for the HQplayer upsampling to DSD512, no games, just causal browsing apart from audio. It will be in the listening room but tucked away so it needs to be silent as possible. I am going for the Fractal Design R5 as case and it can accomodate a Nofan 95C which is totally passive and can really handle 95W even though it gets a bit hot.

Now comes the question - if I expect a serious load on the CPU it is better to have a silent coller with a fan, something like the Noctua NH-U9S which is very quiet and can handle a lot of stress as well. But there is nothing quieter than just metal so if the Nofan 95C can take care of it it is much better as it also does not need any service.

• 3 weeks later...