IGNORED

Library Management in prep to NAS

Hi All,

Recently I went through my entire iTunes library & re-burnt all AAC files into higher res (mainly AIFF....not really sure why?) as I was quite shocked to see how many albums had been ripped in lower res files? I also have a few flac files but not many.

I'm now looking to set up a NAS & would like to update / manage all metadata associated with my music files as using iTunes to do this is just giving me the irrits! x3 copies of the "Queens of the Stone Age" album???

Also, having recently purchased the A+ app & trialled Audirvana 2.2, I was quite shocked to see how little metadata was saved in iTunes so when I pointed Aurdirvana at my files, it all turned to #%&! This resulted in the ipad app not being that user friendly as I like to see my album art & have spent a fair bit of time collating these.

In any case, I wasn't convinced of the SQ Vs PureMusic2 anyway - why is Audirvana so loud? I had to reduce it to about -12 db compared to PM2?.

Just on album art, where do people save the jpeg files or do they get saved with the metadata? I have a separate file called "album art" but I've notice a similar file in iTunes? How do people manage album art?

So, any recommendations as to how I should proceed in setting up my library in prep to move it to a NAS & what apps are useful to manage metadata & album art etc..

One final question, I'm also saving my library to a SSD to run of my MacMini, do I need to save the entire iTunes folder with all the "media" files etc.. or just the "Music" folder? I will redirect my MM to use the SSD as my library.

Cheers all

Matthew

Man Cave: 2CH: VPI Aries Scout + Hana SL MC Cart > Gold Note PH-10 / PS Audio PW Transport / Innous ZEN Mini Mk 3 (ROON Core) + LPSU > PS Audio DirectStream Jnr > Ayre KX-5 > Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblocks > Dynaudio Focus 380's HT: Sony 4K BD > Sony VW60 > Integra DRX3.1 > Dynaudio X24 Centre + Monitor Audio rears. Family Room: 2CH: Matrix Mini-i 3Pro > Bel Canto Pre3 > Bel Canto REf500s 2CH AMP HT: Sony UHD BD > Denon X4000 > Dynaudio Emit 20 + X22 Centre + in-ceiling B&W's.

Cables & Misc: Man Cave: PAD Musaeus & Antipodes Komako XLR's / Bills Pinnacle Speak Cables / Audio Principe & Voodoo Power Cords + Isotek Aquarius Power Conditioner Family Room: Audio Principe XLR's, Speaker & Power Cables / Elijah USB cables.

Tubes: 12AX7/ECC83: NOS Telefunken 1963, Mullard CV492, Brimar + Stock Elecktra Harmonix. 12AU7/ECC82: NOS Valvo E80CC's, 1963 RCA "Conn" Organs Long Plate Clear tops, RCA Blackplates, Tungstrum + Stock Electra Harmonix.  KT120: Tsung-Tol

Hi All,

A few folk over on stereonet in Australia have mentioned that the new OS El Captan should fix up some of the metadata issues, is this correct or is a dedicated app still the way forward?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers Matthew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man Cave: 2CH: VPI Aries Scout + Hana SL MC Cart > Gold Note PH-10 / PS Audio PW Transport / Innous ZEN Mini Mk 3 (ROON Core) + LPSU > PS Audio DirectStream Jnr > Ayre KX-5 > Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblocks > Dynaudio Focus 380's HT: Sony 4K BD > Sony VW60 > Integra DRX3.1 > Dynaudio X24 Centre + Monitor Audio rears. Family Room: 2CH: Matrix Mini-i 3Pro > Bel Canto Pre3 > Bel Canto REf500s 2CH AMP HT: Sony UHD BD > Denon X4000 > Dynaudio Emit 20 + X22 Centre + in-ceiling B&W's.

Cables & Misc: Man Cave: PAD Musaeus & Antipodes Komako XLR's / Bills Pinnacle Speak Cables / Audio Principe & Voodoo Power Cords + Isotek Aquarius Power Conditioner Family Room: Audio Principe XLR's, Speaker & Power Cables / Elijah USB cables.

Tubes: 12AX7/ECC83: NOS Telefunken 1963, Mullard CV492, Brimar + Stock Elecktra Harmonix. 12AU7/ECC82: NOS Valvo E80CC's, 1963 RCA "Conn" Organs Long Plate Clear tops, RCA Blackplates, Tungstrum + Stock Electra Harmonix.  KT120: Tsung-Tol

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

Just on album art, where do people save the jpeg files or do they get saved with the metadata? I have a separate file called "album art" but I've notice a similar file in iTunes? How do people manage album art?

For a library that is being used both as an archive AND for playing, I would advise embedding the artwork AND saving a "folder"/"cover" jpeg file in the album folder. I would generally try to get as high quality as possible. That will cover virtually all bases.

In reality, different music players introduce different constraints. For example, some have limits on resolution, so you sometimes end up compromising somewhere.

So, any recommendations as to how I should proceed in setting up my library in prep to move it to a NAS & what apps are useful to manage metadata & album art etc..

Do you intend on using iTunes in the future?

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

• 1 month later...

I am not an expert in Apple formats, but to burn AAC (lossy compression) into AIFF (most of the time uncompressed) is not going to improve SQ. Once a file is compressed - ie lossy - there is no way back to lossless (native or compressed) formats.

EDIT if you happen to have some of those albums on CD it would be much better to re-rip them in a lossless format (FLAC or ALAC).