IGNORED

Nina Simone Little Girl Blue

On Twitter, AP said "On Analogue Productions SACD releases, rule of thumb is DSD release in six months to a year after the SACD."

Great, so I guess that means I'll have to wait another 3 years for them to release Louis Armstrong, "Satchmo Plays King Oliver." :(

The title has been listed on their site as coming to SACD for 2 years now, and I have seen no updates at all about it. Those original tapes are not going to last forever gents!

I don't have an SACD player either. Given that, what is the best readily available version this album? CD or download.

I have the 24/96, CD versions galore, and this latest Ryan Smith remaster in SACD. The Ryan Smith remaster is far and away the best in my opinion - it's not subtle at all.

This is only available in SACD and vinyl. I will admit I have purchased the vinyl as well.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Great, so I guess that means I'll have to wait another 3 years for them to release Louis Armstrong, "Satchmo Plays King Oliver." :(

The title has been listed on their site as coming to SACD for 2 years now, and I have seen no updates at all about it. Those original tapes are not going to last forever gents!

Trudat. Ryan Smith would likely be the one who'd be doing this. I think Beyonce trumps Satchmo tho.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

I have the 24/96, CD versions galore, and this latest Ryan Smith remaster in SACD. The Ryan Smith remaster is far and away the best in my opinion - it's not subtle at all.

This is only available in SACD and vinyl. I will admit I have purchased the vinyl as well.

My guess given this guy's history is he's remixing from scratch in analog to analog, then cutting the vinyl from analog and encoding to dsd from analog as well. I've actually asked him on twitter but haven't heard back.

system pics

Just checked... The SACD has a CD layer, so you could conceivably get the SACD and rip the CD layer if you really wanted.

system pics

Interesting, could you listen to the CD layer for us and give your impressions?

This remix is done from absolute scratch as far as I can tell. It is not the same mix as the 24/96 or the CDs I have (3). So it is not a matter of degree or the fact that it's DSD. From the DSD rip I created iTunes+ files for my iphone. Even there it is night and day.

Having said this, since the mix is different I wonder if some devotees will be put of by that. Not me, the depth, tonality, bloom, and Nina's voice are off the charts in my opinion.

system pics

Is it ok to share a small snippet of a song on this forum? Is this within "fair use"?

system pics

There are supposedly ways of downgrading though I haven't tried it myself.

IIRC this involves opening the PS3 and doing some futzing inside. Possibly easier to find a suitable one on ebay.

system pics

Yes ... I was waiting for that guy to make the hardware but seems like he disappeared

You mean Mr Wicked figuring out how to rip SACDs on your mac? That would be sweet. But the PS3 works just fine.

system pics

Yes ... I was waiting for that guy to make the hardware but seems like he disappeared

If you follow the link to his blog from the thread here, I'd say the impression is one of slow progress while other life events (marriage, birth and raising of a young child) go on.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

If you follow the link to his blog from the thread here, I'd say the impression is one of slow progress while other life events (marriage, birth and raising of a young child) go on.

Life has a way to get in the way of audio tinkering...

system pics

My guess given this guy's history is he's remixing from scratch in analog to analog, then cutting the vinyl from analog and encoding to dsd from analog as well. I've actually asked him on twitter but haven't heard back.

Guess what? Just heard from Ryan Smith - he replied to my question on Twitter:

"Hi - glad you like the Nina! It was all sourced directly from the original masters. It's really an amazing record, right!"

So there you go...

system pics

Guess what? Just heard from Ryan Smith - he replied to my question on Twitter:

"Hi - glad you like the Nina! It was all sourced directly from the original masters. It's really an amazing record, right!"

So there you go...

It's seems that the same master is also available now on CD:

http://www.discogs.com/Nina-Simone-Little-Girl-Blue/release/7355649

It's seems that the same master is also available now on CD:

http://www.discogs.com/Nina-Simone-Little-Girl-Blue/release/7355649

I think that's the vinyl listed on the AS cite (look at the AP number). Also available on SACD, which has a CD layer.

system pics

You are right.

I guess it's too late for acourate browsing!

:-)

I will look for a SACD, if at reasonable cost.

Nina Simone-Little Girl Blue-Hybrid Stereo SACD|Acoustic Sounds

Reasonable? It's Nina, man! :)

system pics

And no, the download is NOT the same.

system pics