IGNORED

Nina Simone Little Girl Blue

Are you sure this was mono? Why does it have the huge "STEREO" on the cover? In any case, my eclassical 24/96 remaster is in stereo.

According to wikipedia...

The original 1958 album was released in mono, but a second issue the following year, by Bethlehem Records (SBCP-6028), was stereo. It was also released in 2003, on the Charly label, as Jazz as Played in an Exclusive Side Street Club.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I just got this one, phenomenal sound and music.

I got the CD last year and the music and sound are fantastic. I will get the high res as well, this is one of my favorite albums.

Any source for the mono version?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I got the CD last year and the music and sound are fantastic. I will get the high res as well, this is one of my favorite albums.

Any source for the mono version?

BTW... The Nina Simone documentary on Netflix is great.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

I've been listening to this album since I was 18 months old, and have been collecting original vinyl pressings and digital versions for decades. I have 7 vinyl pressings (2 in mono) and about 8 different digital masterings (some MUCH worse than others). The eClassical 24/96 is not bad, though they do go a bit heavy on the noise reduction, wiping out acoustics between phrases along with the tape hiss.

In all my research, I never found evidence that two tape machines (one mono and one stereo) were run at the sessions. I doubt they even recorded more than 4 tracks to make the mix, but I could be wrong. So while there were mono pressings, the album came out at a time when not everyone had stereo pick-ups, so the mono release may just have been a mastering off the stereo tapes--summed of course. The mono LPs I have of it does not elicit that "oh wow, the bass is so much better" reaction that some other, originally mono releases do. (I admit that I do not have a proper mono cartridge.)

Aside from a fair bit of musicality, piano realism, and cymbal rightness/wrongness differences, the various digital masterings do differ quite a bit in how hard they left/right pan instruments and vocals.

Since I am sure one of you is going to ask, my favorite digital mastering of this wonderful record is the 1992 Bethlehem (#30042)

http://www.discogs.com/Nina-Simone-Little-Girl-Blue/release/2938093

I have lots of other early and late Nina on vinyl and digital, but this very first record of hers is still my favorite. She is quite something on the piano on it as well. Just after this first record she did a bunch on the Copix label, but those recordings were terrible (and on vinyl almost unplayable so bad were the pressings), quite sad.

And yes Miguel, I really enjoyed the new doc on Netflix as well.

BTW, here is the photographic evidence from 1963. The back of the photo says "Little Boy Blue," and my mom confirms she wrote that because I was clapping (in front of my father's Fisher 500C--which I still have) to Nina's first album which played constantly in our house also with The Romeros performing Rodrigo, and Miles Davis "Sketches of Spain."

19391d1435276877-uptone-audio-regen-listening-impressions-baby-alex-original-scan-.jpg

Since I am sure one of you is going to ask, my favorite digital mastering of this wonderful record is the 1992 Bethlehem (#30042)

http://www.discogs.com/Nina-Simone-Little-Girl-Blue/release/2938093

Interesting. I have the 2013 reissue CD which I think sounds quite nice, but of course the only comparison I have is some godawful CD issue that well, doesn't do the music justice. I too have found this to be my favorite of her albums - at least those I've listened to.

As for the documentary, it is great but also shows a lot of humanity - both powerful and sad - highly recommended.

system pics

Can you be more specific Miguel about which reissue you are referring to? Label, catalog number, maybe even barcode # as well. Really helps as this tittle has been through so many hands…

Jimmy Bond, Nina Simone, Al Heath - Little Girl Blue (Remastered) - Amazon.com Music

system pics

That one is for certain the CD version of the eClassical/Acoustic Sounds 24/96 download--the remaster engineering credits are the same and one Amazon reviewer made the same comment about heavy-handed noise reduction (which rides and breaths with the presence or absence of cymbal/hiss).

How about the (to be released this month apparently) SACD?

Not sure about that SACD, but Acoustic Sounds links on the same page to the above d/l, so unless they really did get tapes and redo it for the umpteenth time, I bet it is the same or similar. I don't have an SACD player, I really do think the 1992 Bethlehem (#30042) is very close to the tapes, and it is not as if those tapes have a huge amount to benefit from hi-res. Plus the original tape stock itself was likely not the best, so whatever is still being used to remaster is not original and is already cast in digits. The 1992 might have been from some early tape copies--and spun back on some warmish Ampex machine--but that tape is probably not around or in good shape anymore.

There is a colorful history about this album and the rights to it--and a big nasty fight with the Charley Records guy (possibly even involving a knife IIRC), so the true original tapes have probably been back and forth and stolen more than once. This title is not like Kind of Blue or some other well-documented, well-preserved artifacts where provenance can be traced.

How about the (to be released this month apparently) SACD?

Godammit! I have to buy yet another one???

Just purchased the 24/96 from eclassical. Love it.

system pics

That one is for certain the CD version of the eClassical/Acoustic Sounds 24/96 download--the remaster engineering credits are the same and one Amazon reviewer made the same comment about heavy-handed noise reduction (which rides and breaths with the presence or absence of cymbal/hiss).

Did read that, but listen for yourself. I think her voice sounds quite present in my system. And Ongaku's tubes jiggle when I play "My Baby Just Cares For Me"

Not sure about that SACD, but Acoustic Sounds links on the same page to the above d/l, so unless they really did get tapes and redo it for the umpteenth time, I bet it is the same or similar. I don't have an SACD player, I really do think the 1992 Bethlehem (#30042) is very close to the tapes

Arghhh. I must find a copy.

There is a colorful history about this album and the rights to it--and a big nasty fight with the Charley Records guy (possibly even involving a knife IIRC), so the true original tapes have probably been back and forth and stolen more than once. This title is not like Kind of Blue or some other well-documented, well-preserved artifacts where provenance can be traced.

Even more eager now. Thank you Alex! You've spun yet another bad obsession in me. Dammit.

system pics

BTW... The Nina Simone documentary on Netflix is great.

This is news to me, Thanks Miguelito.

Alex, another example then of a well done cd bettering a 'hi rez' version. I'd love to get a better recording, but I may wait till we hear about the sacd release.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

I just looked again at the SACD listing of LGB at Acoustic Sounds. Not only is it in stock now, but it says it was mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound. Maybe it said that before an I missed it. So that should be very different from the 24/96 d/l by John Sigmon, Alex Nappi, and Dana Pedersen that I got off eClassical and did not like due to heavy-handed NR.

Now I wish I had an SACD player!

Have a great weekend everyone.

ALEX

darn, I would've gotten that sacd...perhaps I still will. Thanks for the heads up Alex.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

• 2 weeks later...
Godammit! I have to buy yet another one???

Just purchased the 24/96 from eclassical. Love it.

Got the new Ryan Smith mastered SACD. Gorgeous. It sounds a bit better than the 24/96 to my ears, but in my opinion the 24/96 is pretty darn good to start with. If anything the SACD makes her voice a bit more real.

I don't perceive any more tape hiss than on the 24/96 (to answer someone's comment about the tape hiss supression also removing some of the shimmer of Nina's voice and cymbals). However, I have not listened to the 1992 release.

system pics

Got the new Ryan Smith mastered SACD. Gorgeous.

Did a careful comparison last night with the 24/96 version.

In short: The Ryan Smith remaster in DSD is a MUST HAVE. The difference is monumental.

You have to listen to understand what I'm talking about. This must have been done off of the master tapes - the mix, tonality, presence and precision are off the charts and miles away from the 24/96 version, which I thought was pretty good.

That's it folks.

system pics

Did a careful comparison last night with the 24/96 version.

In short: The Ryan Smith remaster in DSD is a MUST HAVE. The difference is monumental.

You have to listen to understand what I'm talking about. This must have been done off of the master tapes - the mix, tonality, presence and precision are off the charts and miles away from the 24/96 version, which I thought was pretty good.

That's it folks.

I'd probably buy it even though I already have the 24/96, but I'm most certainly not going to buy an SACD player just for one album.

Any chance of a DSD download anywhere?

I'd probably buy it even though I already have the 24/96, but I'm most certainly not going to buy an SACD player just for one album.

AS does not have a DSD download, only the SACD. But I have a PS3... :)

system pics

AS does not have a DSD download, only the SACD. But I have a PS3... :)

Analogue Productions has a few DSD downloads on AS. I imagine this will become available as a download at some point.

system pics

I don't have an SACD player either. Given that, what is the best readily available version this album? CD or download.