IGNORED

Chinese 9V linear PS w/REGEN

4est might be. I use a very similar one (looks the same, from another e-Bay vendor) and like it better than both the MeanWell and iFi's new iPower.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> ISO Regen -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I use it and it works fine - seems to have good quality too. Upgrade with a SBooster Ultra and you will be really satisfied.

How did you get an sbooster? Doesn't look like they ship to the US . . . unless I'm missing something, which is always a possibility.

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?

Mac Mini (w/Audirvana; MMK; JS2; ext SSD); AQJB; Curious USB; Regen; Curious (20cm); Yggdrasil; anti-cable 6.2 ic; Cary SLI-80 Sig (NOS tubes); diy VHaudio airlock sp; Merlin VSM's (sadly, last iteration); Cardas Clear & VHaudio Flav 4 pwr cords; Tripp Lite iso trans; diy power box; Syn Res ART; diy Shakti Hallograph (4); Bybee room neutralizers & signal enhancers; Furutech GTX outlets; Stillpoints Ultra SS & mini

There are actually a number of these Chinese 9V linear power supplies on eBay from companies such as Breeze Audio, TeraDak, Talema/Jays Audio, and Zerozone. Their maximum DC output amperage varies, and some of them have user-adjustable output voltage.

So, what is the optimum operating voltage and amperage for the REGEN, where no 5V is required to power or handshake with the DAC? We know that the stock MeanWell SMPS is 7.5V/3.3A.

There are actually a number of these Chinese 9V linear power supplies on eBay from companies such as Breeze Audio, TeraDak, Talema/Jays Audio, and Zerozone. Their maximum DC output amperage varies, and some of them have user-adjustable output voltage.

So, what is the optimum operating voltage and amperage for the REGEN, where no 5V is required to power or handshake with the DAC? We know that the stock MeanWell SMPS is 7.5V/3.3A.

John Swenson has posted a couple of times (or more) on this. I don't know if there is anything on the UpTone site. You can try a forum search as well.

My personal recollection of what he wrote, for what it is worth, is that running the Regen a little warmer (about 9v) might improve SQ a little, but you didn't want to run too high a voltage lest you shorten the Regen's running life. But finding what John and Alex have written is of course the most reliable guide.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> ISO Regen -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Answer to the question I posed earlier:

https://www.sbooster.com/usa-resellers

Mac Mini (w/Audirvana; MMK; JS2; ext SSD); AQJB; Curious USB; Regen; Curious (20cm); Yggdrasil; anti-cable 6.2 ic; Cary SLI-80 Sig (NOS tubes); diy VHaudio airlock sp; Merlin VSM's (sadly, last iteration); Cardas Clear & VHaudio Flav 4 pwr cords; Tripp Lite iso trans; diy power box; Syn Res ART; diy Shakti Hallograph (4); Bybee room neutralizers & signal enhancers; Furutech GTX outlets; Stillpoints Ultra SS & mini

John Swenson has posted a couple of times (or more) on this. I don't know if there is anything on the UpTone site. You can try a forum search as well.

My personal recollection of what he wrote, for what it is worth, is that running the Regen a little warmer (about 9v) might improve SQ a little, but you didn't want to run too high a voltage lest you shorten the Regen's running life. But finding what John and Alex have written is of course the most reliable guide.

Jud, thanks for your help. According to the UpTone REGEN page: 6V-9V, >1.5A is acceptable. The JS-2 runs it at 7V.

The Zerozone 30VA 9V/2.77A looks like it has a voltage-adjustment screw. Not sure, but for $78, I may give it a shot.

Screen shot 2015-09-06 at 5.41.39 PM.png

Or is it better to wait for the new UpTone power adapter? What is your thoughts ?

The dedicated UpTone adapter would be my first choice. We all want to support Alex and John, however, that product is still over a month away from production, and they are only planning to produce 250 units initially. With at least 1,300 REGENs already sold, there's going to be a mad rush for these things, and we don't yet know how much they are going to cost.

A $60 Chinese R-core LPS seems like a reasonable alternative in the meantime. Not that I'm dissatisfied with my REGEN just the way it is with the stock SMPS, so, I have not made a decision one way or the other.

John Swenson has posted a couple of times (or more) on this. I don't know if there is anything on the UpTone site.

Jud,

Yes, there is a good explanation of the Regen input voltage range there, under "Q&A / FAQ". I just recently referenced it to see if I could use a 12volt PSU with my DAC (yes with caveats...).

The dedicated UpTone adapter would be my first choice. We all want to support Alex and John, however, that product is still over a month away from production,

I'd guess that the UTA power 'thingie' probably won't hit the street until December, so plan accordingly. I'm thinking of that eBay Chinese 12v 4A LPSU ($125) for temporary duty with 2xRegens, then for my Mac Mini, once the 'whatchacallit' actually arrives.

I'd say this is a sound strategy. The Breeze Audio PS in the OP's link is available in 12v. One could buy that, reduce the Vout if required and later use it for a hard drive or something.

I'd guess that the UTA power 'thingie' probably won't hit the street until December, so plan accordingly. I'm thinking of that eBay Chinese 12v 4A LPSU ($125) for temporary duty with 2xRegens, then for my Mac Mini, once the 'whatchacallit' actually arrives.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Acousticsounds.com has the sbooster ultra for the Regen . . . coming in.

It's on their site, available for order.