IGNORED

Cécile McLorin Salvant's For One To Love (24/96) - a review

I've just published my review on my blog, making a pretty bold claim: Will Cécile McLorin Salvant Become The Most Important Jazz Singer of Our Century? – A Review of For One To Love | From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

Unlike her previous album, there is nothing weird about the 24/96 release, and it sounds fine to my ears.

DR ranges from 8-13 with most track around10.

01 Fog.m4a_report.png

Look forward to hearing it ?

Good point about great vocalists playing against little more than elevator music.

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

And confusion starts again: ProStudiomasters sells a 24/88 version of the same album. Weird.

. . . and though Qobuz shows it as 24/96, if you go to download it, both 24/96 and 24/192 are available :/

Wish we could get the straight scoop on which is the original!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

. . . and though Qobuz shows it as 24/96, if you go to download it, both 24/96 and 24/192 are available :/

Really? Didn't notice. Just downloaded the 24/96. But as you can see in the Musiscope plot there is nothing ongoing beyond 48khz anyhow.

ProStudioMasters have a good record of answering customer enquiries of this type, as do Qobuz.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

ProStudioMasters have a good record of answering customer enquiries of this type, as do Qobuz.

Unfortunately I have yet to hear back from Qobuz on what goes on with their 24/44 version of WomanChild, when everybody else sells a 24/96 and the label tells me 24/96 is the native version.

And in spite of 3 reminders over the months I have my doubts I'll ever get a formal answer (and my money back).

Unfortunately I have yet to hear back from Qobuz on what goes on with their 24/44 version of WomanChild, when everybody else sells a 24/96 and the label tells me 24/96 is the native version.

And in spite of 3 reminders over the months I have my doubts I'll ever get a formal answer (and my money back).

I can't see this on Qobuz UK site any more; is it still on the French site (I keep getting flipped back to the UK site) ?

If you are concerned about the provenance and paying for an iffy hi-res file: it sounds great streaming in Redbook on Tidal.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

If you are concerned about the provenance and paying for an iffy hi-res file: it sounds great streaming in Redbook on Tidal.

Agree, that is always a good option. The HD Tracks ver does really sound great though. It's on sale for $15.28 there + another 15% off this weekend so the price is absolutely right. I would encourage those interested to not get too caught up in the analysis if you can get the HD Tracks version this weekend.