IGNORED

Searching the forum

I love that the forum is here and I have learned a lot. I always try to find an answer before asking a question, but I must say I am having a very hard time searching for specific relevant information. For example, I am trying to use my iPad Mini as a remote for my headless Mac Mini. All (I think) I want to do is call up iTunes on my iPad and have it show and play the library on my Mini. (It may be as simple as Home Sharing, but I'm trying to find the best answer.)

The first searches I made were things like "Apple remote" "iPad remote" and combinations of Mini, remote, ipad, etc. (I am shying away from VNC at the moment.)

The first thread I found said there were already many threads on this topic. I can't seem to find them. I've always thought of myself as "search savvy" but it's been generally hard to find answers easily on many specific topics. Also, I'm always wary of taking advice from a thread that is even a year old.

Is there a trick? Or is it more a case of having to spend time on the forum reading many threads and beginning to get a feel for what people post and where to find things.

Thanks

I usually use Google for searching this site by entering the following into the Google search box:

site:computeraudiophile.com [search terms]

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I love that the forum is here and I have learned a lot. I always try to find an answer before asking a question, but I must say I am having a very hard time searching for specific relevant information. For example, I am trying to use my iPad Mini as a remote for my headless Mac Mini. All (I think) I want to do is call up iTunes on my iPad and have it show and play the library on my Mini. (It may be as simple as Home Sharing, but I'm trying to find the best answer.)

The first searches I made were things like "Apple remote" "iPad remote" and combinations of Mini, remote, ipad, etc. (I am shying away from VNC at the moment.)

The first thread I found said there were already many threads on this topic. I can't seem to find them. I've always thought of myself as "search savvy" but it's been generally hard to find answers easily on many specific topics. Also, I'm always wary of taking advice from a thread that is even a year old.

Is there a trick? Or is it more a case of having to spend time on the forum reading many threads and beginning to get a feel for what people post and where to find things.

Thanks

Excellent focus for the forum. I have longed for a better search engine. And further, a way to index a thread so that threads that could easily provide information as a resource is more finder friendly. How feasible indexing threads and a more user-friendly search tool for members/readers is something I would love if Chris Connacker investigated, and implemented in the best way possible.

Best,

Richard