Sign in to follow this  
The Computer Audiophile

Delightful DAC Week :~)

CMedia is not only only maker of USB interfaces for DACs. There are Amanero, XMOS, etc. If Schiit really wanted to, they could have upgraded the dated USB Gen 2 board in Gungnir... but that would really shrink the difference between Gumby and Yggy. :)

I have had Yggy for quite a while. Sold BADA2 shortly after. Also had Hydra Z and prefer Yggy USB input more than Hydra-z output AES into Yggy. With hydra-z you do get more bass but lost the Yggy's Magic 3D imaging and instrument separation.

With Yggy in my system I have permanently stopped searching for a better DAC. I just don't think a better sound can be obtained without spending A LOT more.

Yggy does have its own sound signature (which luckily suit my taste perfectly) and not for everyone, so do give a try first. And yes it does need a good burn-in when brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main system: iMac A+ -> LH Lightspeed USB -> Schiit Yggy DAC -> Nordost TYR XLR IC -> Pass Labs XP20 Preamp -> Nordost TYR XLR IC -> Pass Labs XA60.5 Mono Amps -> MIT ACT MA SC -> Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 8

Second desktop system: iMac A+ / TIDAL -> LH Lightspeed USB -> LH Labs Geek Pulse Infinity -> Nordost TYR RCA IC -> Firstwatt J2 -> MIT AVT2 SC -> Omega Super 7 mini

CMedia is not only only maker of USB interfaces for DACs. There are Amanero, XMOS, etc. If Schiit really wanted to, they could have upgraded the dated USB Gen 2 board in Gungnir... but that would really shrink the difference between Gumby and Yggy. :)

Yeah, there's got to be a nefarious explanation. It couldn't possibly be that the supplier that makes the part they've specified for their design, and with whom they have a contract, has limited supply.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I remember that it took Mike quite a while to get the USB to its current level. I don't think he is interested in starting all over again. Plus imaging supporting two different sets of drivers. Schiit doesn't like that. :)

Main system: iMac A+ -> LH Lightspeed USB -> Schiit Yggy DAC -> Nordost TYR XLR IC -> Pass Labs XP20 Preamp -> Nordost TYR XLR IC -> Pass Labs XA60.5 Mono Amps -> MIT ACT MA SC -> Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 8

Second desktop system: iMac A+ / TIDAL -> LH Lightspeed USB -> LH Labs Geek Pulse Infinity -> Nordost TYR RCA IC -> Firstwatt J2 -> MIT AVT2 SC -> Omega Super 7 mini

Audio equipment changes hands all the time for various reasons. Compatability, tastes, finances, WAF, etc.

It shouldn't be interpreted as meaning there's an issue with the product.

Merely an observation, not a judgement. Quite possible that it doesn't suit everyone's taste/current budget account, etc.

Mac Mini (+Tidal) -> WiFi -> Bluesound Powernode 2i (Audioquest NRG Z3) -> JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v1)

Back in the early 1970s, before I founded Theta Electronics, the tube audio products company, I had a busy part time biz rebuilding Dynaco Tube Amplifiers. At that time I had converted to the tube based practice for my own system, convinced that tubes sounded better than the solid state gear of that era. In my ramblings, I met John Koval, a man who had designed a modification for the old Qual ESL loudspeakers which made them sound much better. “The mod gets rid of a 5 db bump in the 200-400 Hz region which makes them much flatter” he explained. I told him that I was enchanted with the sound of tube amplifiers and preamplifiers. He explained that as long as the frequency response was the same and the levels were precisely matched, there was no way anyone could tell any amps/preamps apart in blind A/B tests. He had built a custom box that matched levels and randomized any two amplifiers or preamplifiers with a pushbutton to switch between them. Bullschiit, I thought, what about the solid state A/B box and its sonic signature.

Intrigued, I built a similar box with passive relays and a passive attenuator. Damn, if he wasn't right. It is really difficult to tell differences in an instantaneous blind A/B test between tube gear that I built versus some commercial gear that I was not particularly fond of. I used to bet John beers that I could tell the difference. Usually, I won at 7 out of 10 picks or so – the best I ever did was 9 out of ten. But it was really hard.

This whole deal made me wonder if I was crazy hearing differences between amps. If what John said was true, and many others have said in the passing 40 years or so, there is no point for an audio hobby involving anything other than transducers. WTF?

So I tried something new – I still did the blind A/B tests passively, matched levels, but allowed long-term listening to each; at least an hour or two with known recordings. Guess what! Suddenly I knew which was what. I tried it out on John B and Mike and Dave and all my other audio buddies. They called it too – tubes vs a bad solid state preamp. Every friggin' time. My enthusiasm had returned. This taught me that the human ear is an integral, NOT differential device. The audio science police traditionalists no longer dampened my enthusiasm.

So much for the blind A/B instantaneous naysayers. All that matters is frequency response, they say. People can't hear anything much above 20KHz in their prime, less later. The ear has a short memory, it is all bias, blah, blah. They should take up a different hobby, say stamp collecting.

Thanks to Dr. Heil, the inventor of the Heil AMT speaker who shared this experiment with me over 40 years ago, Consider this: I am 67 years old – my high end extends to just under 15KHz (not bad for and old fart). I can play two pulses 200 microseconds in length separated by 20 microseconds and clearly hear two pulses. Not unusual until one considers that 20 microseconds corresponds to a square wave of 50KHz. And then, there is the time domain – home of spatial cues which audio science measurement traditionalists ignore. I believe that in the quest for the best sound, an open mind is the most important asset. I will even listen to cables, even though I believe in my heart that all technology about cables is well known. Who knows, even an old fart like me could be surprised.

Until then, yet another retelling of my old John Koval saga is 40 year old news to me.

I have had Yggy for quite a while. Sold BADA2 shortly after. Also had Hydra Z and prefer Yggy USB input more than Hydra-z output AES into Yggy. With hydra-z you do get more bass but lost the Yggy's Magic 3D imaging and instrument separation.

With Yggy in my system I have permanently stopped searching for a better DAC. I just don't think a better sound can be obtained without spending A LOT more.

Yggy does have its own sound signature (which luckily suit my taste perfectly) and not for everyone, so do give a try first. And yes it does need a good burn-in when brand new.

Ah, here's the comparison that we never ever get in reviews and one that really interest me...sold your BADA for the YGGY...certainly gets me very curious to hear the YGGY. (and I have owned the BADA series one since new and was a month or two too old in serial number to upgrade to series two, dammit!)

Thanks,

WDW

Bow down to the Norse Gods . I have drunk from the Tree of Life , The Mighty Yggdrasil and have eaten its Schiit .

It taste good !

Hyperbole?

Or, tell us more.

Back in the early 1970s, before I founded Theta Electronics, the tube audio products company, I had a busy part time biz rebuilding Dynaco Tube Amplifiers. At that time I had converted to the tube based practice for my own system, convinced that tubes sounded better than the solid state gear of that era. In my ramblings, I met John Koval, a man who had designed a modification for the old Qual ESL loudspeakers which made them sound much better. “The mod gets rid of a 5 db bump in the 200-400 Hz region which makes them much flatter” he explained. I told him that I was enchanted with the sound of tube amplifiers and preamplifiers. He explained that as long as the frequency response was the same and the levels were precisely matched, there was no way anyone could tell any amps/preamps apart in blind A/B tests. He had built a custom box that matched levels and randomized any two amplifiers or preamplifiers with a pushbutton to switch between them. Bullschiit, I thought, what about the solid state A/B box and its sonic signature.

Intrigued, I built a similar box with passive relays and a passive attenuator. Damn, if he wasn't right. It is really difficult to tell differences in an instantaneous blind A/B test between tube gear that I built versus some commercial gear that I was not particularly fond of. I used to bet John beers that I could tell the difference. Usually, I won at 7 out of 10 picks or so – the best I ever did was 9 out of ten. But it was really hard.

This whole deal made me wonder if I was crazy hearing differences between amps. If what John said was true, and many others have said in the passing 40 years or so, there is no point for an audio hobby involving anything other than transducers. WTF?

So I tried something new – I still did the blind A/B tests passively, matched levels, but allowed long-term listening to each; at least an hour or two with known recordings. Guess what! Suddenly I knew which was what. I tried it out on John B and Mike and Dave and all my other audio buddies. They called it too – tubes vs a bad solid state preamp. Every friggin' time. My enthusiasm had returned. This taught me that the human ear is an integral, NOT differential device. The audio science police traditionalists no longer dampened my enthusiasm.

So much for the blind A/B instantaneous naysayers. All that matters is frequency response, they say. People can't hear anything much above 20KHz in their prime, less later. The ear has a short memory, it is all bias, blah, blah. They should take up a different hobby, say stamp collecting.

Thanks to Dr. Heil, the inventor of the Heil AMT speaker who shared this experiment with me over 40 years ago, Consider this: I am 67 years old – my high end extends to just under 15KHz (not bad for and old fart). I can play two pulses 200 microseconds in length separated by 20 microseconds and clearly hear two pulses. Not unusual until one considers that 20 microseconds corresponds to a square wave of 50KHz. And then, there is the time domain – home of spatial cues which audio science measurement traditionalists ignore. I believe that in the quest for the best sound, an open mind is the most important asset. I will even listen to cables, even though I believe in my heart that all technology about cables is well known. Who knows, even an old fart like me could be surprised.

Until then, yet another retelling of my old John Koval saga is 40 year old news to me.

I did a dual blind test here, in a thread I keep promising to resurrect and write a conclusion to. The test was two different acoustic guitars playing at the same time; here are pictures of the guitars, guess which one is in which channel. Self-declared objectivists got a two-second sample followed by one second of silence, repeated 10 times (total of 30 seconds); self-declared subjectivists got an uninterrupted 30-second sample from the same portion of the same track. So no audio memory, just what's best at telling the difference between two acoustic instruments heard simultaneously - brief snippets, as is thought best for A/B/X testing; or a longer listen, which objectivists will tell you (correctly!) is problematic when (at least one kind of) audio memory is involved. (I note "at least one kind of," because if I heard even a bad recording of the voice of my father, who passed away 5 1/2 years ago, I'd recognize it in a microsecond.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Bow down to the Norse Gods . I have drunk from the Tree of Life , The Mighty Yggdrasil and have eaten its Schiit .

It taste good !

Hey, I'm supposing I'll like Yggy too, but - eeww, gross.

Thanks!

This should be a "sticky" post. I feel like framing it for my listening room.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

It taste good !

Get some cheetos and chill. The line

between a rave audio review and a

Pink Flamingos sequel has been

blurred. haha

Get some cheetos and chill. The line

between a rave audio review and a

Pink Flamingos sequel has been

blurred. haha

Yep . I have joined the Schiit cult . I hope to become a upper echelon cult leader .

It taste good !

How Divine of you Jimmy!

mini+Roon > dCS Rossini DAC + Rossini Master Clock >

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo G2

system pics

[ATTACH]20952[/ATTACH]

Throw Back Thursdays Jimmy? (I couldn't resist)

mini+Roon > dCS Rossini DAC + Rossini Master Clock >

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo G2

system pics

What is the sound like?

What is the sound like?

If I may step in: Synthesizing all things Yggy

ever posted, dependent on your room,system

and expectations, it's somewhere between

the best dac you never heard, master of

detail location and room ambience; OR,

clinical and neutered, all about details

ruthlessly sacrificing tonality warmth and

fluiditeeeeee. I too need an informed

relevent opinion, so I have one on order.

pb-

Sounds like we need to await Chris' upcoming review! C'mon Chris - you gave us a real tease with your 'rave' initial impressions, now we're all anxiously standing by for more! ;~)

Back in the early 1970s, before I founded Theta Electronics, the tube audio products company,... ...Bullschiit, I thought, what about the solid state A/B box and its sonic signature...

Thanks, I really enjoyed your post. I have some similar stories and old arguments, missing only the part about building companies, though I did help break one. I remember hearing some very early Theta designs, and FWIW thought the Gen 5 vs. Gen 4 was a breakthrough in musicality.

I still have a Bifrost which I'll send to a beloved cousin, a music lover and budding audiophile (I'm listening to lots of redbook-to-DSD128 now). No way I'll sell it, it's for family. It's an excellent piece, strong in every aspect of sound, well-conceived and constructed! Great work!

Just watch it, Mike Moffat can kick your ass.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.