IGNORED

Delightful DAC Week :~)

I group of us in our local audio group will be doing a shoot between one member's Yggy and my Gumby. It should prove interesting. I upgraded my Gungnir to the Gumby and I am certainly glad I did. The Gumby is a significant improvement with better dynamics, low level detail and a better sense of space. While I believe it is possible that the soundstage width may be a tad, and I am not sure about it, I will have to listen some more, narrower, the front to back depth of the Gumby is noticeably better. The liveliness of a drum kit is also much more realistic without being harsh. The Gumby is more detailed than the DS Gungnir, more dynamic and easier on the ear. It is, in short, a much better sounding DAC than the DS Gungnir and well worth the $500.

I group of us in our local audio group will be doing a shoot between one member's Yggy and my Gumby. It should prove interesting. I upgraded my Gungnir to the Gumby and I am certainly glad I did. The Gumby is a significant improvement with better dynamics, low level detail and a better sense of space. While I believe it is possible that the soundstage width may be a tad, and I am not sure about it, I will have to listen some more, narrower, the front to back depth of the Gumby is noticeably better. The liveliness of a drum kit is also much more realistic without being harsh. The Gumby is more detailed than the DS Gungnir, more dynamic and easier on the ear. It is, in short, a much better sounding DAC than the DS Gungnir and well worth the $500.

I agree wit you . It was possibly the best 500 bucks I've ever spent for an upgrade .

As I have a Yggy coming in too , I'm interested in upcoming comparisons !

I don't think I've heard a dac under 2k that can beat the MB Gungnir overall .

I agree wit you . It was possibly the best 500 bucks I've ever spent for an upgrade .

As I have a Yggy coming in too , I'm interested in upcoming comparisons !

I don't think I've heard a dac under 2k that can beat the MB Gungnir overall .

Jimmy, does Gumby include the "Burrito" closed form filter? And, if you know, is it a true balanced design? TIA!

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

Why no USB Gen 3 option for the Gumby multibit? I'm willing to pay a premium for that option.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

Regarding the Yggy, the beginning of the video in this link has some very interesting comments from Bob Katz and Tyll:

Big Sound 2015: Biting the Bullet with Bob Katz | InnerFidelity

AWESOME idea and video! Can't wait for Day 2…

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Oh, no doubt. I say allegedly, cause I get the feeling it will take even longer. Marv (Purrin) who beta'd the prototype does concur that the time goes down over time, but still needing 4 or more days after he turned it off. Not sure how long Gungnir Multibit will take, but I am looking forward to it settling.

I've actually only read of one person selling his Yggy, everybody else loves them. And the wait is now to the end of September. And I agree, that's why their name is Schiitt, cause they don't give a rats ass about the bull, stuff.

I sold mine as well.

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition / Stax SR-009, SR-007 MKI, SR-007 MKII

Lumin A-1 Network Player

iPAD Pro / JRemote App

JRiver 21 / unRAID NAS

Is it even a fair comparison? The Total DACs are 3 - 15+ times more expensive.

It's a fair comparison when Schitt talks about it (the FAQ page for the Yggy) being competitive with or better than anything on the DAC market.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I sold mine as well.

I think you were the one I read having sold it. In another note, the Gungnir MLB that I received on September 3 finally started to sound settled two days ago, and resembled what I heard in the Schiit show last night. At that point I put in the Regen and properly started to listen, and enjoy it. Eleven days it took but the wait is worth it, in my experience, as it starts to show better midbass control and more granular volume modulation of the differing lines. The detail I actually heard from the time I warmed it up, but sounded a little busy. Everything fell into place yesterday, aurally.

I should find out how long it takes to get back to this state after it is turned off, but I'm not in a hurry to find out, just yet.

Audio equipment changes hands all the time for various reasons. Compatability, tastes, finances, WAF, etc.

It shouldn't be interpreted as meaning there's an issue with the product.

Especially when it's a grand total of what, 3 or 4, out of hundreds?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

First of all, woot! Fun times!

Second the numbers mean plenty; just have to try to understand which numbers mean what. Lots of misinterpretation by well meaning folks who want to oversimplify the world (aided by marketing that is only too glad to tell you if you've just got the Wizz-Bang 101 process happening inside your DAC, it's the *best* *sound* *evah*!!).

Thx Jud. Every time I read numbers don't mean anything my stomach turns!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Got it, now I understand. Maybe sometime in the future when USB Gen 3 are more plentiful, a USB Gen 3 upgrade for the Gumby multibit might be offered.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter