IGNORED

Delightful DAC Week :~)

Very very few recordings are true 24 bit .

There's no system capable of rendering a 24 bit dynamic range. 20-21 bits gets down into the thermal noise of the electronics.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Very very few recordings are true 24 bit .

Again, let's not confuse dynamic range of the equipment with bit rate of the recording. Not the same thing.

Yggy and plenty of other DACs can playback 24 bit recordings. Basically no DAC has dynamic range greater than 21 bits, for the reason Jud stated above.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I struggle with buying anything I cannot pronounce!

Jealous? Who me? Schiit yes! If I weren't off the merry-go-round I'd be all over that Yggy.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I struggle with buying anything I cannot pronounce!

How hard would it be for you to say "Lamborghini"? :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

How hard would it be for you to say "Lamborghini"? :)

Lamborghini is easy to say ... Egoista is more difficult.

That's why I want an Aston Martin.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

You want an Aston Martin because your British.

Well that too...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Lamborghini is easy to say ... Egoista is more difficult.

That's why I want an Aston Martin.

I just say 'Countach!'.

I'm not too difficult.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

For me, Yggy break-in was crazy. Performance was "good" for about 300 hrs (150ish playing music). I've "somewhat" believed in break-in before, but in the past it's been "yeah, I think I hear a difference now". In this case, however, a switch was flipped, taking me instantly to truth of timbre in real space. Never before did a component say "OK, now I'm ready, let's listen to music". Which I am now doing, re-listening to everything.

For me, Yggy break-in was crazy. Performance was "good" for about 300 hrs (150ish playing music). I've "somewhat" believed in break-in before, but in the past it's been "yeah, I think I hear a difference now". In this case, however, a switch was flipped, taking me instantly to truth of timbre in real space. Never before did a component say "OK, now I'm ready, let's listen to music". Which I am now doing, re-listening to everything.

If you have a lot of experience with this DAC, maybe you could tell us a little more about it. Without any spoiler alert so we can still enjoy Chris' review. Just to start the salivation... :)

If you have a lot of experience with this DAC, maybe you could tell us a little more about it. Without any spoiler alert so we can still enjoy Chris' review. Just to start the salivation... :)

Just getting into jotting impressions, so it will be a week or so. Thanks for the interest!

300 hr. break-in=12.5 days. Rather schiity return policy

is 15 days w/5% restock + shipping. Definite potential

for some excitement.

pb-

Aren't we audiophiles a finicky bunch. First I was saving my money for a 2Qute DAC then out of nowhere Mike Moffat, seemingly overnight, achieves Guru status with a statement product that opens up another portal to musical bliss.

So far I have $1,137 saved up for my next DAC. Now I have to decide on buying the reasonable priced Gungnir multibit or continue saving for the whole enchilada, the Yggy. By the way, I reward myself $150 per month for getting my ass up for work every morning. Audio is how I choose to spend those disposable entertainment dollars.

I'd like to wish Mike Moffat and Jason Stoddard all the best.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

Aren't we audiophiles a finicky bunch. First I was saving my money for a 2Qute DAC then out of nowhere Mike Moffat, seemingly overnight, achieves Guru status with a statement product that opens up another portal to musical bliss.

So far I have $1,137 saved up for my next DAC. Now I have to decide on buying the reasonable priced Gungnir multibit or continue saving for the whole enchilada, the Yggy. By the way, I reward myself $150 per month for getting my ass up for work every morning. Audio is how I choose to spend those disposable entertainment dollars.

I'd like to wish Mike Moffat and Jason Stoddard all the best.

I upgraded my DS Gungnir to the Multibit and have had several opportunities to listen extensively to the Yggy. The Multibit or Gumby as it has been branded now gets you real close to the Yggy. We will put them head to head in another week or so to do a complete evaluation. So far, the best $500 I have spent on audio. $2,300.00 isn't horribly expensive in the hobby but $500 for the upgrade was a no brainer.