IGNORED

Delightful DAC Week :~)

• 2 weeks later...
My time is limited, trying to get my Schiit together for RMAF, but I cannot resist some quick comments to several of the above posts. Lots of taps permit a much higher slope in the transition band performance, a higher frequency response before the transition band begins (in our case .98 of nyquist), and much more attenuation in the stopband. The filter indeed rings, as all finite impulse response filters do., and it does indeed alias at 700 and something Khz, which is easy to filter in the analog domain without screwing up the sound. There is nothing faith-based about this filter, nor any exemptions from sampling theory. A frequency and time domain optimized filter is NOT mutually exclusive. The key word is optimized; not perfected. The filter has been tested by a non-partisan user here:

yggdrasil technical measurements

Those users with good time domain response speakers are well equipped to hear spatial cues should be impressed if imaging is a priority for them. Such cues are far more difficult to hear on headphone systems, but should be audible with the best phones.

All Schiit specs are very conservative; I have been doing this a very long time since I built and sold the very first D/A converter back in the 1980's. I have built not just for myself but for many other companies dozens of designs, from multibits at the beginning to ds designs and now back to multibits again. (They sound waaaaaaaaay better!) It took several years to reapply all of my original audio technology to modern industrial/defense/medical D/A converters; at Schiit, I am now migrating the technology downwards into all of our upgradable DACs. If you do not believe me, or think I am some carnival barker with a straw hat and a cane selling nebulous sound as euphones or something, then just do not buy my stuff. There is plenty of other stuff out there. One of my favorite sayings is that God could appear to me and tell me how to build the perfect DAC and there are those out there who would accuse me of false claims or numinous science.

Schiit audio really is a populist audio company. We want to offer the best value products. It therefore has limited products in its line; simplifying the line makes us more efficient. We try to pack in as much as possible at every price point. Understand, we make DACs from $100 to $2300. Generally, our products are compared to products selling for much more. We do not offer multi-colors or D/A converters with volume controls built-in. The Yggy has high enough output to be used with an external attenuator. So get one if that is what you want. We cannot please everyone.

Mike , I will be the first to admit I was skeptical of the multibit claim until I upgraded my D/S Gungnir to Multibit . I was simply speechless when I heard the transformation and that was cold immediately out of the box .

I was so impressed I bought a Yggdrasil immediately and look forward to hearing it .

I am no longer a skeptic regarding

multibit dacs.

I group of us in our local audio group will be doing a shoot between one member's Yggy and my Gumby. It should prove interesting. I upgraded my Gungnir to the Gumby and I am certainly glad I did. The Gumby is a significant improvement with better dynamics, low level detail and a better sense of space. While I believe it is possible that the soundstage width may be a tad, and I am not sure about it, I will have to listen some more, narrower, the front to back depth of the Gumby is noticeably better. The liveliness of a drum kit is also much more realistic without being harsh. The Gumby is more detailed than the DS Gungnir, more dynamic and easier on the ear. It is, in short, a much better sounding DAC than the DS Gungnir and well worth the $500.

I agree wit you . It was possibly the best 500 bucks I've ever spent for an upgrade .

As I have a Yggy coming in too , I'm interested in upcoming comparisons !

I don't think I've heard a dac under 2k that can beat the MB Gungnir overall .

• 2 weeks later...