IGNORED

Delightful DAC Week :~)

Hey Guys - Just a quick post and photo to show what a delightful week it has been already :~)

The Merging Technologies NADAC and the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil both arrived!

dacs.JPG

Upper left - Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC RS

Lower left - Merging Technologies NADAC

Upper right - Schiit Audio Yggdrasil

Middle right - EMM Labs PRE2

Lower right - EMM Labs DAC2X (updated)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

After warming up the Yggdrasil this morning I just started listening to it. Holy schiit! The only other DAC that impressed me this much so immediately was the Berkeley Alpha RS. The Yggy is so so so impressive. What a great time to be in this hobby. An astounding DAC for $2,299 that competes with DACs at any price. So cool.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

After warming up the Yggdrasil this morning I just started listening to it. Holy schiit! The only other DAC that impressed me this much so immediately was the Berkeley Alpha RS. The Yggy is so so so impressive. What a great time to be in this hobby. An astounding DAC for $2,299 that competes with DACs at any price. So cool.

That is really impressive! Looks like 21 bits is good enough for good sound.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

What inputs blow you away?

What???? No I2S???????? Some people will NOT be happy. ;)

Doesn't support DSD or anything above 192 kHz either. So far just been listening through the USB input.

This DAC really proves the numbers don't mean a thing in and of themselves.

Doesn't support DSD or anything above 192 kHz either. So far just been listening through the USB input.

This DAC really proves the numbers don't mean a thing in and of themselves.

First of all, woot! Fun times!

Second the numbers mean plenty; just have to try to understand which numbers mean what. Lots of misinterpretation by well meaning folks who want to oversimplify the world (aided by marketing that is only too glad to tell you if you've just got the Wizz-Bang 101 process happening inside your DAC, it's the *best* *sound* *evah*!!).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Yes, I'll publish reviews of the both the NADAC and the Yggdrasil.

At the weekend? Or do you need till Monday? :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

What inputs blow you away?

What???? No I2S???????? Some people will NOT be happy. ;)

That will be what the Ravenna internal renderer in the NADAC sends direct to the DAC chip. The BEST way things can be done. Far better than any external renderer, even with I2S.

Can't wait to hear Chris's impressions on that :)

Interesting that the YGGY is a fixed output since many, if not most, offer fixed and variable outputs. This is even more pecular as Schiit doesn't offer a preamp in a similar price/performance range as this DAC. It does look intriguing, that's for sure.

Yes, I'll publish reviews of the both the NADAC and the Yggdrasil.

I know you don't like to do it, but some comparisons of DACs would be helpful.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

That brings the noise floor down to -155 dB or so with 24 bit data.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Chris, if you can grasp it, please explain to us what is Closed-form digital filter... I have read the schiit but...sounds like a foreign language...thanks.

What "closed form" means in mathematics is a problem that can be solved in a reasonable number of steps using "well known" mathematical functions. Without computers, it implies there is an exact solution rather than one that must be in some sense estimated (e.g., approaching a limit, as in calculus). When there is a computer or similar resource involved (such as apparently the Yggy chips), the notion of "well known" expands a little because there are "numerical" (non-exact, but very quickly done by computer) functions that can be included.

Therefore Schiit's claim could be read to mean that instead of the normal tradeoff between aliasing, ringing and phase distortions all DAC filters have had to negotiate, their filter resolves the input exactly. That would be quite a strong claim, as you can imagine. Whether that is really what they are claiming (and what the Yggy does), I don't know. But it at least appears to be implied by their statements.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

What "closed form" means in mathematics is a problem that can be solved in a reasonable number of steps using "well known" mathematical functions. Without computers, it implies there is an exact solution rather than one that must be in some sense estimated (e.g., approaching a limit, as in calculus). When there is a computer or similar resource involved (such as apparently the Yggy chips), the notion of "well known" expands a little because there are "numerical" (non-exact, but very quickly done by computer) functions that can be included.

Therefore Schiit's claim could be read to mean that instead of the normal tradeoff between aliasing, ringing and phase distortions all DAC filters have had to negotiate, their filter resolves the input exactly. That would be quite a strong claim, as you can imagine. Whether that is really what they are claiming (and what the Yggy does), I don't know. But it at least appears to be implied by their statements.

Thanks Jud,

My thoughts were...what the heck, this sounds radical...and new. With so many smart designers doing dacs, why this was never achieved before...? But yeah, I take this claims with lots of caution...