IGNORED

iFi Launch - Houston. We have lift-off...iUSB3.0

I do not consider my self as much of a headfier.

I use headphones however more frequently than I would like since i became a family man and at work of course. The i dsd micro has been more than a consolation in this situation since It convinced me that listening through headphones can be a genuinely enjoyable experience always giving me a good time as well as satisfying my audiophilia "illness" to a surprisingly great extent..

Now after combining It with the I Usb 3.0 the enjoyment and satisfaction of that listen has been raised to a whole new level.. The improvement in the sense of space and air around the instruments as well as of the clarity, definition and transparecy in combination with the allready pleasand melodic and rythmic character of the dac made listening through headphones for the first time a choice rather than an obligation..

Listening through headphones with this combo (and a pair of senheiser momentums on ear) made me remember the feeling I had as a kid when we visited an uncle's house where I've been listening to his records through a set of headphones mesmerized by my early exposure to true hi-fi. That last feeling was precious and I have to give my thanks to the guys at ifi for that as well...

P9261601.jpg

P9261599.jpg

Thanks for the speedy images, video and initial review Totsipaki. Do you have the original iUSB? If so, how does it compare? I will soon have both, so maybe I can compare the two and post it here. On a related note. Do you have the itube? I am on the fence with that purchase... Congrats to 3rd prize winner from the 5th!

I'm in the same boat as you but I think once I have the iUSB3.0 I'll sell the original iUSB to maybe part pay for an iTube.

Everything sounds great now so with the new iUSB3.0 I can imagine a big bump in sound quality so you have to wonder how much more the iTube will give you on top all all that...but I guess the point is more about the sound signature than quality if you get my meaning.

The reviews have all be great though and it is another sexy little iFi box so....

I'd really like to try it with my SACD player too to see what happens.

So anyway, it's on my shopping list for when I have the funds. If I get one first I'll let you know what I think :)

Guy

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this but...

Sat here waiting for my new iUSB3.0 I have been thinking a few things over :)

Bit of background first.*

I am using a Raspberry Pi running RuneAudio for audio playback.*

Although RuneAudio has its own library capabilities I am using it as a DLNA renderer only.

I use a Synology NAS to store my music which is fantastic. It comes with an app called Audio Station for managing / playing music and a mobile app called DS Audio (I'm using an iPhone and iPad).*

With the apps you simply select the playback device on your network and the music is sent (including DSD and everything else) to that device when selecting and playing music from your library.*

I have used many methods of computer audio playback/software/OSs and this is by far, when taking into account the excellent mobile apps and so on, the most effective, simplest and seamless method I have used whilst also still maintaining that audiophile quality :)

Soooo...on to the point of the post...

I am currently powering the Raspberry Pi with a custom linear power supply made by Long Dog Audio / MCRU.*

The Pi is then connected via USB to an iUSB then a Gemini USB cable to an iDAC2

In theory, as the iUSB3.0 has 2 sets of USB ports, I could use output 1 data and power with the Gemini cable to the iDAC2 and the output 2 power only connector to power the Raspberry Pi as opposed to using using the linear power supply as the iUSB3.0 should supply cleaner power than the linear supply - correct?

However, I was wondering whether it would actually make any difference anyway as the iUSB3.0 not only provides clean power to the DAC but now regenerates and reclocks the data signal - so is the power/noise inside the 'computer' as much of a problem with the iUSB3.0 as it was before?*

I mean I already have a linear power supply anyway. So, other than having 'one hub to power them all', the quality difference would be non-existent? Or would it?

Guy

Anyone else got their iUSB3.0 yet? Thoughts, pictures?

I won at Head-Fi but since here in Spain the official distributor (Zococity) doesn't have it in stock yet I have to wait several weeks... It's a shame but I can't do anything rather than wait and keep enjoying my micro iDSD. As soon as I receive it I'll take some shots and give my initial impressions.

Regards,

Rafael

Mine should be here today! Ordered from Music Direct and they shipped yesterday from Chicago, I'm in St. Louis....I get things the next day.

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

Ok fellas...got my iUSB3.0 and as soon as I put in system and within 10 seconds, sound quality and background went up 2or 3 notches! Yes....a worthy improvement!

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rothers.

We didnt hear from you by end of 9th October.

So the prize went back into the hat. The next name out is: AudioElf (nice name bty).

You have won an iUSB3.0:

LL

Please pm us.

Congratulations.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

Hi Rothers.

So the prize went back into the hat. The next name out is: AudioElf (nice name bty).

You have won an iUSB3.0:

LL

Please pm us.

Congratulations.

Congratulations, Eloise! Looking forward to your review. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi Rothers.

You have won an iUSB3.0:

LL

Please pm us.

Congratulations.

Wow thanks... Of course this is all a plot to get me to buy a USB DAC too isn't it?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine yesterday. Thanks! I'm going to give it some time, but initially there is an immediate and audible difference between the earlier version and this one. Greater clarity, I think. More transparent. Treble seems a little brighter. Just a little less background noise, perhaps? I'll need to give it more time, of course. But I'm impressed and grateful to have this.

• 3 months later...

Being one of the first to get the iUSB3.0. through this thread's competition in September makes me kind of obliged to share my experience with It so far.

Please keep in mind I am not a professional reviewer and this is not a formal review, just my humble experience so please bear with me

This fall I had a very nice time with the iDSD micro-iUSB3.0 combo on my main rig during which I even questioned my purchase of the new dac to take It's place. I use my Ifi portably and In My man cave system alot though, so It had to be "Released" .

After that period my Ifi iUSB3.0 spent some weeks at a friend's system attached to his own iDSD micro (and was reluctantly returned) and before taking Its place where I used It "trevelled" a little making some new friends..

During that "travelling" period those last weeks, I have put the micro iUSB 3.0 through It's paces, In an attempt to clarify just how much of an improvement It makes on the dacs It is attached to and during this time It has accompanied some Illoustrious "acquaintances"

First of all It has been attached to It's more natural companion the micro I dsd. Both In mine as well as my friend's micro the iUSB3.0 adding the iUSB3.0 to the chain had a listenamble Improvement in transparency and soundstage, listenable enough to make the addition a very serious asset especially if the, Micro I dsd, is playing though a high end system where the difference is not only obvious but is considered mandatory, If the micro I dsd is used as the main and principal dac on such an expensive hi -end system -something It is pretty capable of- especially with the addition of the iUSB 3.0 in my opinion.

To cut a long story short If you are wondering wether the additional cost of the iUSB 3.0 makes the micro I dsd a dac worth the extra cost, my answer is yes because the micro I dsd is a dac more capable than Its price suggests, adding the iUSB 3.0 helps It unleash that serious potential. So yes adding a 450 eur cost to the 560 eur dac maces for a very capable and competitive 1000eur worth result. Add the flexibility, user friendliness and feature richness and It puts the combo In It's own category compared to the competition.

The second dac I have tried the iUSB 3.0 with was the Mytek 192 DSD DAC. The matching was not without some issues mainly due to the custom and "aged" USB receiver of this DAC. After careful studying of the computer audio setup manual for this dac from Mytek support page, trouble free playback was accomplished (with only minor pops form time to time).

The difference though was very big in terms of transparency and soundstaging big enough to be hghly recommended, at least for a demo try with this rather idiosyncratic but very good dac which was clearly refreshed and upgraded with the addition of the iUSB 3.0.

Third In Line was the Mytek Brooklyn. This dac is very modern and very good raising the reference bar for It's category and at 1995eur It aint' cheap.. Adding the iUSB 3.0 was first of all trouble free. I simply attached the iUSB 3.0 between the Dac and My mac Mini and It did not interfere even in very high bitrate playback which was trouble and glitch free.

Soundwise there was a clear improvement in the mid high transparency of this already very transparent dac which sounded like a spreading of the mid-high frequency spectrum making everything sound wider and more oviously defined ans "silkier" also the bass and dynamics of this dac were rendered gentler and softer though clearer, not blurred in any sense. To sum up the difference was more than obvious, so obvious that It changed the dac's overall character pleasantly but intensely, so ..If that is your cup of tea.. yes you will never detach the iUSB 3.0 from It.

Last was not least was the tryout of the iUSB 3.0 with the very high end as well as Illoustrious and glorious sounding Rockna Wavedream Dac. The allready flawless playback and very high price (about 7.000eur) of this dac made me very reluctant and restrained to my expectations.

First of all the user experience and matching of the iUSB 3.0 to this dac were again flawless and trouble free. We just attached It and It just did It's "magic" with out affecting playback or any other function whatsoever.

To my big, and my fellow listener's and Rocckna Wavedream Dac owner's surprise, adding the iUSB 3.0 to the chain further improved this allready stellar performer, without affecting It's overall character. Midrange body and harmonics became much fuller boddied, richer and finer filling the room with harmonics and sweet musical essences that were not as obvious before. 3D Soundstaging was improved as well!!

The difference of course was not night and day as In those reference category devices small improvements are not only difficult to achieve but also very expensive to get. The fact that this rather "cheap" -considering the overall cost of the dac- accesory made for a clearly obvious 5 to 10% improvement without affecting the overall character of the dac at all, just improving upon It, was to me unexpected and remarcable achievment since I am well aware that to get such differences at this High End Category usually costs some extra tousands of Euros not just 450eur.

The experience especially with the latest dac I have tested the iUSB 3.0 with was very revealing and rather exciting considering the abilities of this Accesory to Improve the dacs It has been attached to, where the more capable the dac It attaches to, the more impressive those improvements become.

Even though It is unlikely someone doesnt like and-or isn't impressed from It's "effect" I would at least advise for a demo of It with any dac as mandatory, especially when climbing up the dac's cost ladder. You might be missing something you can not live without and not know It yet..

The iUSB 3.0 is one of those devices that affect even the most sceptic's stubboness literally forcing them to reconsider about the usefullness of USB regenerating and mending appliances. It has certainly made an Impact on me.

Thanks for the nice review!

Thanks for the very extensive impressions.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this but...

Sat here waiting for my new iUSB3.0 I have been thinking a few things over :)

Bit of background first.*

I am using a Raspberry Pi running RuneAudio for audio playback.*

Although RuneAudio has its own library capabilities I am using it as a DLNA renderer only.

I use a Synology NAS to store my music which is fantastic. It comes with an app called Audio Station for managing / playing music and a mobile app called DS Audio (I'm using an iPhone and iPad).*

With the apps you simply select the playback device on your network and the music is sent (including DSD and everything else) to that device when selecting and playing music from your library.*

I have used many methods of computer audio playback/software/OSs and this is by far, when taking into account the excellent mobile apps and so on, the most effective, simplest and seamless method I have used whilst also still maintaining that audiophile quality :)

Soooo...on to the point of the post...

I am currently powering the Raspberry Pi with a custom linear power supply made by Long Dog Audio / MCRU.*

The Pi is then connected via USB to an iUSB then a Gemini USB cable to an iDAC2

In theory, as the iUSB3.0 has 2 sets of USB ports, I could use output 1 data and power with the Gemini cable to the iDAC2 and the output 2 power only connector to power the Raspberry Pi as opposed to using using the linear power supply as the iUSB3.0 should supply cleaner power than the linear supply - correct?

However, I was wondering whether it would actually make any difference anyway as the iUSB3.0 not only provides clean power to the DAC but now regenerates and reclocks the data signal - so is the power/noise inside the 'computer' as much of a problem with the iUSB3.0 as it was before?*

I mean I already have a linear power supply anyway. So, other than having 'one hub to power them all', the quality difference would be non-existent? Or would it?

Guy

Hi,

We also have the Pi powered by the iUSB3.0.

Please see our connection diagram.

RASPBERRY-PI.jpg

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

• 4 weeks later...

i was undecided on this ...or the newer nano iusb 3.0

...would be for my laptop -> iusb-> micro idsd-> either cans/iems or -> headphone tube amp

so will prob splurge for the micro iusb 3.0 version given it's added versatility

if anyone is wishing to sell theirs please PM me.

cheers