IGNORED

Which media player?

Looking for advice on alternate media players to JRiver as I've finally had enough of all the bugs and lack of support now. I'm running a Mac Mini so they need to be OSX versions.

QNAP NAS > Gig ethernet > Mac Mini > USB > Chord Qute EX > Pre Amp

I've already tried the following and looking to see if there are any others I should be trialling?

Audirvana+.............So far this is my favourite and the sound quality blows JRiver out of the water

Roon......................Brilliant interface and functionality but doesn't sound anywhere near as good as A+

iTunes & bitperfect...Works well and sounds ok but don't want to convert my flac library to ALAC

HQPlayer................Really basic interface and no remote functionality - non starter.

System 1

Audio Note OTO SE Phono

Audio Note AN-j He

Mac Mini 2015 OSX 10.11, Roon

Chord Hugo

Systemdek iix 900 / Audio Note Arm One v2 / Goldring 1042

There is a library manager Muso that works great with HQPlayer.

HQPlayer Really basic interface and no remote functionality - non starter.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Why not just stick with A+? I think half the battle is finding a player that works reliably with your particular setup. What is A+ lacking for you?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Why not just stick with A+? I think half the battle is finding a player that works reliably with your particular setup. What is A+ lacking for you?

+1

A+ was my favorite in the Mac OS arena.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

A+ is my favorite, too, but I'm keeping a very close eye on the progress of the Roon/HQP collaboration. My suggestion: go with A+ now and keep an open mind with respect to future software developments.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

• 2 weeks later...
Looking for advice on alternate media players to JRiver as I've finally had enough of all the bugs and lack of support now. I'm running a Mac Mini so they need to be OSX versions.

QNAP NAS > Gig ethernet > Mac Mini > USB > Chord Qute EX > Pre Amp

It looks like the problem you had with the Chord and integer mode may be the same as one we just discovered:

New Mac Mini stuttering on playback

It appears to be a firmware bug but you might be able to set audio to Hardware default and get it to work.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com