IGNORED

ECdesigns

3 hours ago, mevdinc said:

Surely the information the DAC designers are sharing must be respected, if you don't find their ideas or claims realistic or achievable then that's fine too. The proof is always in the listening, none should buy any equipment purely based on other user experiences. You should always listen and decide yourselves, that's what I do.

Some of the members of this discussion group maybe seen as 'fan boys' and so be it, those who don't like the content or the claims can just move onto other topics and there are plenty on this Forum.
It's nice to read the experiences and opinions of others, that's the main purpose of this Forum, sharing our knowledge and experiences. 

I perfectly agree wwith you !

"It's nice to read the experiences and opinions of others, that's the main purpose of this Forum, sharing our knowledge and experiences. " That is the problem I was pointing out : Matthias speaks and denigrates things that he has never listened to.

I think he should just be respectful and humble. That could help ^^'

Thanks. I personally want to avoid going down that road again (tweaks, spaghetti...). But I'll be curious to follow all this. 

It feel that many DAC manufacturers seem to have given up on the idea of source immunity. The business of "source optimization" (servers, networks, cables, etc..) seems to have really taken over everything. On a French forum I have been following, for example, the use of this new Diretta protocol, which claims improvements in sound quality by changing the way network packets are send from a server to a player. You can see DAC manufacturers in Japan offering servers using this protocol. Are there benefits? Maybe. I won't be trying this to find out for myself, and it is impossible just by reading about it to know whether the sound is ultimately satisfying or whether the positive feedback is just hyperbole. You could of course say the same about everything written in this thread! 

Source and power supply immunity, however, should be fairly easy to check for oneself. So we can find out on that aspect if ECD is full of BS or not 😄 all you'll need is your current source and a "crappy" one ! Or basically take your source and remove all the spaghetti... The volume control aspect should also be easy to test (provided you have a preamp you like, or using the "Bolero test"). Once that is done, whether the DAC itself provides top quality sound or not is another story and it will be hard to gage just from reading people's opinions what the  end result is. I assume most people who currently own ECD gear will be curious to know whether it is better than their current DAC - others may remain skeptical, and that's the nature of the game.

One small correction to my last post, for those who currently own the Fractal DAC, and are wondering whether it will be relevant to "upgrade" to the PowerDAC: the DAC section remains the same (my understanding), so improvements in sound quality will really depend on this source/power supply immunity, on one hand, and the volume control/amplification on the other (depending on one's use - if using fixed outputs with an integrated amplifier, that will not be relevant). It is impossible to know now how much of an improvement that will make. 

I do expect to see better performance than the current UPL+DAC+upgraded power supply (what I use), as the signal will be "cleaner" (less jitter, less noise) but I don't expect it to be a "mind blowing" difference as I feel this combo's quality is already quite high. I expect it will be in line with past improvements (especially this "bandwidth limiter" version), with blacker background, better instrument separation and placement. These small differences do make listening more pleasurable, but I'm happy with the sound I am getting now (given my speakers/room). There's no obvious issue crying for an upgrade.

Though I have not used the U192 much lately, anytime I plug it back in I still notice a significant difference with the UPL that makes the UPL worthwhile for me in spite of its constraints. Contrary to the UPL which has me satisfied, there's often with the U192 something that bothers me and that does not sound quite "right" - perhaps distortion on some notes, or perhaps jitter affects the timing (and realism), and some fatigue after a while - difficult to describe. So differences may vary depending on the quality of the source, but I expect the benefit of the PowerDAC would be even higher if you currently use the U192, and it is an opportunity to simplify things.

I expect the volume control will offer a cleaner signal than their current SVC passive preamp, but I am not sure too many people currently use the SVC, so that comparison will be of less interest here.

For the "S" version, its a different ball game altogether, and I have no idea about that.

Will wait until we can learn more about the availability of these new products before I post again!

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if i can post it here, but i am not posting anywhere else. Since it is such a rarity - selling my EC Designs T16 NOS DAC with all the add-ons. Still top of the game. With XTOS (USB to optical converter) in the front of the DAC), you can actually see if your player is sending bit-perfect, since there is a light for that. It plays highly transparent. Put a better, fast power cable to its external LPSU, and you will get faster and tighter sound.

Goes up to 192 kHz. It plays 24bit as 17 bit, which is actually enough head-room for probly 98% of music. Contrary to popular opinion, the bits are not the resolution, the kHz determine the sampling resolution. The bits determine the dynamic space of the recording.  
As such, vinyl has less dynamics/bits from 16-17 bits. And some swear vinyl still sounds better. 
I spoke to recording and producing engineer who happened to be also a classical musician and a professor of a classical instrument at musical academy. He said one needs 24 bits only in the process of recording because they need bigger dynamic space for editing and manipulation. This sounded plausible to me with my IT knowledge.And most people cant really distinguish between 16 or 17 bits.

Macbook Pro 2015 > JCAT XE USB > Matrix X SPDIF3 > AyES > Mutec MC3+ > EC Designs PowerDAC B > Topping Pre90 > Wadia a102 > Cardas SE9 cables > John Blue JB3 speakers. All Clear cables Cardas IC, AyES, Beyond & XL

5 hours ago, M_audio said:

Not sure if i can post it here, but i am not posting anywhere else. Since it is such a rarity - selling my EC Designs T16 NOS DAC with all the add-ons. Still top of the game. With XTOS (USB to optical converter) in the front of the DAC), you can actually see if your player is sending bit-perfect, since there is a light for that. It plays highly transparent. Put a better, fast power cable to its external LPSU, and you will get faster and tighter sound.

Goes up to 192 kHz. It plays 24bit as 17 bit, which is actually enough head-room for probly 98% of music. Contrary to popular opinion, the bits are not the resolution, the kHz determine the sampling resolution. The bits determine the dynamic space of the recording.  
As such, vinyl has less dynamics/bits from 16-17 bits. And some swear vinyl still sounds better. 
I spoke to recording and producing engineer who happened to be also a classical musician and a professor of a classical instrument at musical academy. He said one needs 24 bits only in the process of recording because they need bigger dynamic space for editing and manipulation. This sounded plausible to me with my IT knowledge.And most people cant really distinguish between 16 or 17 bits.

And the price?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 11:36 PM, bodiebill said:

For what it is worth, some people report great results feeding analogue signal into high-end active speakers such as Dutch and Dutch, Kii or Buchardt. These speakers obviously include ADC. These reports made me curious and I will receive Buchardt A500's for a 45-day trial period starting in February. Not sure yet how the ECD gear will fit in such a setup, but there are many possibilities and I will experiment...

Hi bodiebill

Did you receive your Buchardt A500's speakers as yet?  If so, how do they go matched with your ECD set-up?

Cheers

Is there any idea how much watt the powerdac will produce? Would be fantastic if i could use it for my Raal, 100w.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

8 hours ago, RickyV said:

Is there any idea how much watt the powerdac will produce? Would be fantastic if i could use it for my Raal, 100w.

I would say between 6WRMS and 40WRMS for a PowerDAC-R and the addition of a Buffer and a tube. :-) But we have to wait for more precise information from ECD...

9 hours ago, hopkins said:

when it comes out, a full battery of tests/comparisons and have as many trusted ears as I can give their opinion about it.

Prem's ! ^^' I can't wait to give tjhe PowerDAC-R a try at your house Stéphane when it will be launched ! :-)

Thank you @hopkins for your thorough and well-versed reply. It really helps me with my thought process, and understanding what ECD really is developing. 

Electro-engineering is quite hard to grasp for a novice like me. Thus, my plea for a more plainly written description first and then a "technical description" (for idiots like me), and last a real technical description aimed at engineers and alike.

Basically what you are saying and the information in the blog post from ECD is that usability has been improved through their own technical development without diverting from the toslink interface. Perhaps this is even a new "paradigm" in regards to their previous trade-off between usability/file formats and best possible sound quality. The new vertical design may indicate that they intend to ditch the UPL/ETL concept.

Although, the new technical development leaves a question mark how it will affect sound quality. Obviously, sound quality will not be bad.  Hopefully it is equal or better (when the new-product-dust settles) compared to previous products. From the blog I infer that technical developments is not a trade-off bewtween sound quality and usability. You are adopting a more wait-and-see approach.

My understanding of ECD as a company, is that they give a great deal of thought, and has the technical knowledge to mitigate adverse effects of high frequency noise and (intermodular) distortion on sound quality. This is what peaked my interest for ECD.

[The]ECD "Ecosystem" will initially consist, from what I understand, of the PowerDAC and possibly a small converter for those who don't have a source with Toslink output.

This is great news for those who wish to use a usb-ouput from a computer or a Raspberri Pi with digital outputs. And possibly multiple sources through a splitter, or multiple inputs in the higher tier Power-S version.

\...\The DAPI is the term they use to refer to this "decoding/re-clocking" process. It is part of the DAC.

With your wording I understand that this is real technical development, as in lowering jitter by separating the data and clock stream in the toslink interface e.g. asynchronus-usb. Therefore lower the noise injected to the dac. Furthermore there is nifty low-level programming to determine sample rate and frequency in the data stream.

This also opens up the possibility to be more format agnostic. I love my MOS 16/UPL combo.The cleaning and washing my digital library when I want to play a new digital album is an endearing quirk. But I wouldn't mind copying some FLAC-files to a usb-thumbbdrive, or set up a streaming solution with a Raspberri-Pi. :)

The parallel data output by this micro-controller has a very low-bandwidth - allowing for less "noise" (from the micro-controller, for example) to travel along with the data and spread into the DAC.

This is excellent. From what I understand noise reduction/suppression is crucial for digital to analog sound reproduction.