IGNORED

ECdesigns

19 hours ago, matthias said:

How big is the impact of the feeding PS to the UC 5V modules on the SQ?

When you replace the SR4 as feeding PS with something more ordinary what happens to the sound?

Maybe with one of the bigger Apple 5V PS?

Thanks

Matt

A. I don't do a lot of back and forth comparisons as I don't have much time or inclination but when something is enough of a positive difference I try to gain an understanding why and adopt it. The UCs for powering are to me without question a convincing benefit but I wouldn't know how to definitely the improvement (in percentages for instance..?).

I'm curious if you follow up on suggestions and what your experience/opinion is too as another reference point... 

B. I've not done a straight comparative test between the PH SR4s & other one but have in the past used a lesser 5V psu to feed the UCs and it was similar benefit.

C. No don't have one of those

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

Just my  2 öre on the Stax topic. My MOS 16/ UPL 16 mates very well with the Stax SRS-3100 combo (L300 headphones + amp). Stax headphones allows you to listen through the music and hear every detail, and they scale up  exceptionally well to what is delivered to them from the MOS/UPL combo.

I think @hopkins should bring his gear to the store, or borrow a pair of Stax headphones and amp and spend some time with them at home. As always taste is individual and electrostatic headphones has a distinct sound which is perhaps not for everyone. On the other hand there are tons of good headphones out on the market.

2 hours ago, nattflax said:

Just my  2 öre on the Stax topic. My MOS 16/ UPL 16 mates very well with the Stax SRS-3100 combo (L300 headphones + amp). Stax headphones allows you to listen through the music and hear every detail, and they scale up  exceptionally well to what is delivered to them from the MOS/UPL combo.

I think @hopkins should bring his gear to the store, or borrow a pair of Stax headphones and amp and spend some time with them at home. As always taste is individual and electrostatic headphones has a distinct sound which is perhaps not for everyone. On the other hand there are tons of good headphones out on the market.

The ECD sources/DACs are great with headphones, for sure, and I am sure they would be good also with Stax - will be difficult to test that combo however !

I have another small portable headphone - Topping NX4.  When plugging the NX4 into my computer directly (it has USB input) or even using the ECD DAC as a source (it also has a line in), the sound is really poor... It destroys the benefit of using the ECD units as a source. You can read on audio “science” review how the NX4 measures really well - don't want to open up another debate (objectivity vs. subjectivity) - but it is funny to see how these excellent measures lead to such poor sound. Hard to believe what is said about it: "The DSD NX4 has impressed me greatly. It would be my choice for a portable headphone+DAC or a stand-alone desktop DAC for that matter. All the positive vibes on this unit are indeed true."

The ECD Mosaic UV has a good headphone section - it is bulky to use only for that on my desk, but it sounds much better than the NX4 - not even close...

Plugging the phones directly out of the SVC is good also, but I think I prefer using the headphone section of the UV. Must be the impedance issues we talked about.

I wonder whether ECD will come out with another headphone solution or not - not very clear at this point.

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

The ECD sources/DACs are great with headphones, for sure, and I am sure they would be good also with Stax - will be difficult to test that combo however !

I have another small portable headphone - Topping NX4.  When plugging the NX4 into my computer directly (it has USB input) or even using the ECD DAC as a source (it also has a line in), the sound is really poor... It destroys the benefit of using the ECD units as a source. You can read on audio “science” review how the NX4 measures really well - don't want to open up another debate (objectivity vs. subjectivity) - but it is funny to see how these excellent measures lead to such poor sound. Hard to believe what is said about it: "The DSD NX4 has impressed me greatly. It would be my choice for a portable headphone+DAC or a stand-alone desktop DAC for that matter. All the positive vibes on this unit are indeed true."

The ECD Mosaic UV has a good headphone section - it is bulky to use only for that on my desk, but it sounds much better than the NX4 - not even close...

Plugging the phones directly out of the SVC is good also, but I think I prefer using the headphone section of the UV. Must be the impedance issues we talked about.

I wonder whether ECD will come out with another headphone solution or not - not very clear at this point.

yeah, ASR is a joke. probably paid by topping actually

From what I understand, ECD will offer a headphone Power DAC and a speaker Power DAC

🙃

9 hours ago, murphythecat87 said:

yeah, ASR is a joke. probably paid by topping actually

From what I understand, ECD will offer a headphone Power DAC and a speaker Power DAC

wonder whether ECD will come out with another headphone solution or not - not very clear at this point.

the problem with this company is everything seems obscure , the tech used , what product you can get now or in near or long future ?      and don't make mistake i had a ECd Mosaic dac few years ago and very like his sound and sold it because of his unique Toslink input..

the actual or future fractal dac could interest me again but this thread is so confusing sometimes for a basic customer like me  🙃

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

1 hour ago, juanitox said:

🙃

the problem with this company is everything seems obscure , the tech used , what product you can get now or in near or long future ?      and don't make mistake i had a ECd Mosaic dac few years ago and very like his sound and sold it because of his unique Toslink input..

the actual or future fractal dac could interest me again but this thread is so confusing sometimes for a basic customer like me  🙃

The products you can get now are on their website.

Future products mentioned for end of 2021: PowerDAC (for speakers, headphones).

Recently mentioned was an  improved optical input (DAPI) for the DAC but no info on when and whether current DAC will be "upgradeable". 

As for the technology, you can refer to their website or their posts on DIYAudio.

Hope that helps. 

Mosaic 16 T DAC fed by Waversa Wstreamer. Mucho better than Macbook Pro output.

waversaTDac.jpg

Macbook Pro 2015 > JCAT XE USB > Matrix X SPDIF3 > AyES > Mutec MC3+ > EC Designs PowerDAC B > Topping Pre90 > Wadia a102 > Cardas SE9 cables > John Blue JB3 speakers. All Clear cables Cardas IC, AyES, Beyond & XL

15 hours ago, hopkins said:

I find it extremely difficult reading up on a good headphone amp. Normally, I am quite good att reading up on components to find out if they are worthy an audition.  My main criteria is that an amp should be able to drive and make a Sennheiser HD 6XX plus a  Beyerdynamic T880 600Ohm sound good. When it comes to headphone amps my head starts to ache. In my research so far I've found a Canadian boutique OTL valve amp that may fit the bill. Unfortunately, it is 1 800 USD and an audition is next to impossible.

This brings me to EcDesigns response to Mathias at diyaudio.com about being able to drive headphone with their new kit.

"Q:Would it make sense to launch a one-box-solution (DAPI and FractalDAC in one case)?

A:Yes, we plan to offer an affordable medium power entry level version that is primarily intended to be used with (pre) amps but is powerful enough to directly drive 32 ... 600 Ohm headphones. Prototype is already up and running and is being thoroughly tested."

Still quite vague, but probably worth waiting for if the new kit is able to drive 600 Ohm headphones properly. Their new proposition will probably be less than 1800 USD.

13 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

"This push-pull OP-amp based voltage regulator offers very low noise over a large frequency range (DC ... 21 MHz) and can instantly correct sudden dips and peaks that typically occur in digital audio applications. Decoupling is no longer critical. We tested these regulators in the Medium PowerDAC and the improvement is huge and is in line with the theory." 

Thanks for sharing, very interesting.

Do you know if they will use this in the PowerDAC only or for the FractalDAC and maybe U192 as well?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

3 hours ago, matthias said:

Thanks for sharing, very interesting.

Do you know if they will use this in the PowerDAC only or for the FractalDAC and maybe U192 as well?

Matt

Not sure but sounds like all the developments are going into the PowerDAC project.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

New to this forum and this is my first post! Hello everyone!

I'm interested in the UPL96ETL and I have a lot of questions as I'm pretty clueless at this moment. 

My main purpose is to get the UPL96ETL and hook up an external ssd drive with all my wav music files on it. My preamp is an emotiva xmc-2. I would like to hook it up directly to my preamp through the digital coaxial. Will I need an external usb power adapter for the UPL96ETL if I hook it up this way? I do not want any internet connection at all, so how do I acess my music without internet on the UPL96ETL? 

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a little confused on how the UPL96ETL works. I want to make

sure I'll work for me.

I currently have a Cambridge CXC transport and how would the UPL96ETL compare when it comes to pure soun quality?

Thank you!

4 hours ago, panasonicst60 said:

New to this forum and this is my first post! Hello everyone!

I'm interested in the UPL96ETL and I have a lot of questions as I'm pretty clueless at this moment. 

My main purpose is to get the UPL96ETL and hook up an external ssd drive with all my wav music files on it. My preamp is an emotiva xmc-2. I would like to hook it up directly to my preamp through the digital coaxial. Will I need an external usb power adapter for the UPL96ETL if I hook it up this way? I do not want any internet connection at all, so how do I acess my music without internet on the UPL96ETL? 

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a little confused on how the UPL96ETL works. I want to make

sure I'll work for me.

I currently have a Cambridge CXC transport and how would the UPL96ETL compare when it comes to pure soun quality?

Thank you!

Hi,

You can hook it up to the Emotiva's Toslink input. The UPL requires a connection to a computer (using a USB cable). The computer's USB port will power the UPL, no need for a hub. You do not need an internet connection on your computer if you are going to use that computer directly to control the playback. You could use, for example, a basic laptop computer to do this.

Another option is to have a small "screenless" computer hooked up to the UPL (a basic intel NUC, for example), and use another device to control playback: a phone, tablet, or another computer. In that case, you do not need "internet" access either, but the two computers/devices have to be able to communicate through a wifi or wired network.  Hope that helps.

I have never compared the UPL with CD playback using a transport, as ECD's DAC only works with ECD sources. You will get the most out of the UPL using ECD's DAC, but even without the DAC I would assume the UPL will provide quality at least on par with a good CD transport.

2 hours ago, hopkins said:

Hi,

You can hook it up to the Emotiva's Toslink input. The UPL requires a connection to a computer (using a USB cable). The computer's USB port will power the UPL, no need for a hub. You do not need an internet connection on your computer if you are going to use that computer directly to control the playback. You could use, for example, a basic laptop computer to do this.

Another option is to have a small "screenless" computer hooked up to the UPL (a basic intel NUC, for example), and use another device to control playback: a phone, tablet, or another computer. In that case, you do not need "internet" access either, but the two computers/devices have to be able to communicate through a wifi or wired network.  Hope that helps.

I have never compared the UPL with CD playback using a transport, as ECD's DAC only works with ECD sources. You will get the most out of the UPL using ECD's DAC, but even without the DAC I would assume the UPL will provide quality at least on par with a good CD transport.

I was looking for a more simple solution then this. Doesn't seem to be what I wanted. Adding a nuc or a raspberry pie kind of defeats the purpose for me. Too many boxes and adapters.

All I want is a box with a digital out and usb to hook up a hard drive with all my music to it and with no internet access required. Of course with great sound quality to replace my cd transport. 

Is there was something like the ECD with hdmi but with a remote control to control the main unit with out an internet connection??

How do the ECD compare to say an Allo signature in regards to sound quality?

17 minutes ago, panasonicst60 said:

I was looking for a more simple solution then this. Doesn't seem to be what I wanted. Adding a nuc or a raspberry pie kind of defeats the purpose for me. Too many boxes and adapters.

All I want is a box with a digital out and usb to hook up a hard drive with all my music to it and with no internet access required. Of course with great sound quality to replace my cd transport. 

Is there was something like the ECD with hdmi but with a remote control to control the main unit with out an internet connection??

How do the ECD compare to say an Allo signature in regards to sound quality?

I understand. I cannot really recommend anything - have not used other music players in a long time. Maybe you could open a thread in the "music server" section of the forum ? You will certainly get plenty of recommendations.

22 minutes ago, Norton said:

You could use a Bryston BDP that way ( originally designed to replace a CD transport): usb attached drive, bnc/AES/usb out, navigate via built in screen and panel buttons or remote.  But screen is small and while used BDP1s are cheap, the optional  remote isn’t.  Better to hook up to ethernet and use a tablet as browser. 

For what you describe you  could also just use a cheap fanless media PC with your choice of OS and replay software, no network, external HDD, HDMI to your emotiva and navigate via a remote and attached screen.  

The fundamental issue is that if you have a HDD  size library and you don’t want network, you are going to need a big screen to easily navigate via a remote.

I have both a BDP1 and the UPL, but would only use the latter with its own DAC ( when it easily surpasses the BDP)

I was looking at a Fitlet2 and run Audiophile Linux. So when you say the latter you mean a cheap fanless media PC right? What's a UPL?

Fresh from diyaudio:

"The S/PDIF DAPI receiver for the Fractal PowerDAC SE offers 4 selectable Toslink inputs and supports 44.1/16 ... 192/24 (limit for S/PDIF 24 bit stereo).

The S/PDIF receiver for the small and affordable Fractal PowerDAC E offers one Toslink input and supports 44.1/16 ... 192/24."

Does that mean that only the Fractal PowerDAC SE has the DAPI receiver?

Does that mean that they will produce PowerDACs only?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)