IGNORED

ECdesigns

On 11/23/2020 at 10:04 PM, matthias said:

I remembered to try to listen to the U192ETL with my macbook Air 2013 and it sounded very good - even if the UPL96 was still better!

John uses his macbook Air and Pro to proceed to listening tests as I understood.

45 minutes ago, Ben75 said:

I remembered to try to listen to the U192ETL with my macbook Air 2013 and it sounded very good - even if the UPL96 was still better!

John uses his macbook Air and Pro to proceed to listening tests as I understood.

Yes, I think there might be a reason why they use MacBooks.

I am curious about the first serious listening tests with the new ARM based Macs. These seem to get USB host controllers from ASMedia which might be superior sounding than the Intel ones.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

On 11/23/2020 at 11:13 PM, murphythecat87 said:

the annoying thing is even restarting the computer doesnt fix the issue. the only way to have the pc recognize the U192 is by removing the usb then reconnecting. this never happened with the Utos

I never had that problem while I was using the U192. Maybe there is a conflict with another driver on your PC? 

On 11/23/2020 at 11:13 PM, murphythecat87 said:

the annoying thing is even restarting the computer doesnt fix the issue. the only way to have the pc recognize the U192 is by removing the usb then reconnecting. this never happened with the Utos

Can loose fitting USB cable/connectors be the cause?

Matt

The disconnection is a problem with XMOS chips or their implementation, I dont know the cause but have encountered a few times in DACs using XMOS for USB, some weren't affected though. I think it maybe might have something to do with ESD protection getting false triggered somehow. 

7 hours ago, hopkins said:

- ECD is working on improvements that will level the playing field between all sources, and should provide a "definitive" solution to all this (this is not my personal opinion...it is based on information communicated by ECD).

Do you have any info when they will be releasing such a solution?

Will this be before launching the PowerDAC?

Thanks

Matt

5 hours ago, Vincent des Champs said:

To proof this, one should introduce an ultra high end source (like the  GrimmAudio MU1 player) comparing with the UPL solution.

My local hifi dealer is willing to accept the challenge and test it with several high end streamers (10k+ sources).

Even though I am still a little skeptical ECD is delivering the purest available ‘audio chain’, I am so curious! 

That would be interesting indeed! 

15 minutes ago, hopkins said:

No info. AFAIK it is what they are working on with the PowerDAC and am not aware of another product. 

I suppose then ECD means the DAPI receiver will be this solution:

"The USB / Toslink / Coax DAPI receiver receiver we are now working on will replace the USB-only DAPI receiver if it performs equally well.
So we plan to use one universal DAPI receiver for future projects"

Matt

5 minutes ago, matthias said:

I suppose then ECD means the DAPI receiver will be this solution:

"The USB / Toslink / Coax DAPI receiver receiver we are now working on will replace the USB-only DAPI receiver if it performs equally well.
So we plan to use one universal DAPI receiver for future projects"

Matt

Yes, exactly what i am referring to. 

6 hours ago, Vincent des Champs said:

To proof this, one should introduce an ultra high end source (like the  GrimmAudio MU1 player) comparing with the UPL solution.

This is a great idea 😃

The Grimm MU1 might not be the perfect candidate since it has no proper USB outputs.

Does your dealer have a Taiko Extreme as well?

Anyway you can do the comparisons without the FractalDAC.

Thanks

Matt

22 minutes ago, matthias said:

This is a great idea 😃

The Grimm MU1 might not be the perfect candidate since it has no proper USB outputs.

Does your dealer have a Taiko Extreme as well?

Anyway you can do the comparisons without the FractalDAC.

Thanks

Matt

Because their products will evolve/improve, comparing the Fractal DAC may actually be more relevant? The UPL alone used with another DAC may not be so distinctive. Maybe comparing UPL+Fractal vs any high end source+DAC? 

14 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Because their products will evolve/improve, comparing the Fractal DAC may actually be more relevant? The UPL alone used with another DAC may not be so distinctive. Maybe comparing UPL+Fractal vs any high end source+DAC? 

IMO, the comparison should be made with the FractalDAC:

UPL>>FractalDAC

vs

Various "Superservers">>U192>>FractalDAC

The "Superservers" must have then USB output.

Matt

Just now, matthias said:

IMO, the comparison should be made with the FractalDAC:

UPL>>FractalDAC

vs

Various "Superservers">>U192>>FractalDAC

True, but this would would be a comparison between

€333 >> €635

vs

>€10.000 >> €333 >> €635

so even if the latter would be as good as the first, I would not change anything in my setup.

and with the coax-ready DAPI, maybe I could finally try (as I cannot imagine a Taiko Extreme to be cleaner than this):

SDTrans384 >> Power DAC

(€550 >> €???)

:-)

audio system

29 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

True, but this would would be a comparison between

€333 >> €635

vs

>€10.000 >> €333 >> €635

so even if the latter would be as good as the first, I would not change anything in my setup.

and with the coax-ready DAPI, maybe I could finally try (as I cannot imagine a Taiko Extreme to be cleaner than this):

SDTrans384 >> Power DAC

(€550 >> €???)

:-)

Yes, the UPL and the SDTrans384 are a steal but you can not do streaming with Qobuz with them.

Further it would be interesting to compare the quality of the "Superservers" with the ECDs.

But the question is if it makes sense to do these comparisons before DAPI is launched.

BTW: Does the SPDIF output sound the same as I2S output of SDTrans?

Matt