IGNORED

ECdesigns

I had another set of ears come and listen to my system. He often auditions systems and has a good ears... My friend was extremely impressed by the UPL+MOS DAC "combo":  the pitch black background, the level of detail, the completely natural and realistic delivery ("analog" like, to quote him).

He summed up the listening session by saying that this was a revelation and an "intense musical experience". 

I hope others will get a chance to listen to the UPL player along with the DAC as it really sets a new standard, in my opinion, for digital playback. 

22 hours ago, hopkins said:

For the record, I have no link whatsoever with ECDesigns, just a very satistfied customer, eager to spread the word...

Thanks for the updates, expectation bias now in full flow for  when I receive mine after holidays in new year! 

46 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I had the ECDesigns Mosaic UV (still have it in fact). Before that, I have had a number of DACs over the years.

It will be interesting to test the UPL drive with another DAC that has Toslink input, to check whether the "magic" comes essentially from the UPL, or whether it is from the combination of the UPL and MOS DAC. 

That's a good point.

Curious to know the other DAC's that you owned from other brands.

2 hours ago, beautiful music said:

That's a good point.

Curious to know the other DAC's that you owned from other brands.

A lot over the past 15 years, not all of which I can remember (not in any order): Ayre QB9, Calyx Femto, Dangerous Music Source, a few Wadia (Wadia 25 and others), Mytek 192, Bel Canto, etc...

What is your point ?

Hi all,

I can confirm that the EcDesigns Mos16 is exceptionally natural sounding dac. However it needs good source and amplification. I tried it first with basic sources and it was not that good. Cd transport + Ifi spdif purifier did the trick. Now I think it is the best dac that I have had and maybe even better than the Theta Gen V-a that I had. Not so dynamic sounding but very natural. I like it it very much. Doesn`t get me stressed when listening to music :) It is interesting that there is so many "ways" to build good sounding dac, one weights a "ton" and another is light as feather but both sounds good.

6 hours ago, n-a said:

Hi all,

I can confirm that the EcDesigns Mos16 is exceptionally natural sounding dac. However it needs good source and amplification. I tried it first with basic sources and it was not that good. Cd transport + Ifi spdif purifier did the trick. Now I think it is the best dac that I have had and maybe even better than the Theta Gen V-a that I had. Not so dynamic sounding but very natural. I like it it very much. Doesn`t get me stressed when listening to music :) It is interesting that there is so many "ways" to build good sounding dac, one weights a "ton" and another is light as feather but both sounds good.

This is similar to Mosaic T16. I use W4S RUR for regenerating the signal before it goes into EC Designs own TOSLINK converter. I am even thinking about Intona before the RUR to decouple computer from the RUR. I guess what you need is something like Mutec to convert USB into a good optical signal. 

Macbook Pro 2015 > JCAT XE USB > Matrix X SPDIF3 > AyES > Mutec MC3+ > EC Designs PowerDAC B > Topping Pre90 > Wadia a102 > Cardas SE9 cables > John Blue JB3 speakers. All Clear cables Cardas IC, AyES, Beyond & XL

15 hours ago, n-a said:

Hi all,

Concerning the "not so dynamic" aspect with lesser quality sources this is exactly my experience, briefly using a Chromecast, for example. I guess the MOS is very revealing of the source (contrary to what I naively expected you cannot turn a bad source into something good). 

I do not have a good explanation for this. With a good source (I use the UPL) it is as if there was complete "transparency" and the music is just there for you to explore and immerse yourself in. There is absolutely no harshness and it is completely relaxing. I can listen to it all day and night.. it is a little surprising at first, but soon very addictive!

Thanks for your feedback. Glad you like it ! Let us know after some time if your impressions changed. It took me a few days to get accustomed to it.

P.S. concerning the "dynamics", I have found out that I can play the MOS/UPL at a louder volume than I was used to, due to the lack of any "harshness" in the sound (especially the higher frequencies). The blacker background, better extension of the notes, makes it all extremely involving and "life like".

21 hours ago, hopkins said:

@Norton

Could you try the UPL with the Toslink input of your Resonessence DAC ? I am curious to know whether the "magic" comes from the UPL, or the UPL+MOS combination. Thanks

The magic is obviously the DAC. I hear it everyday in the form of (very similar) Mosaic T.
The UPL is "just" the sugar on the top.

The Sabre-Resonessence is completely different design and vibe. 

Macbook Pro 2015 > JCAT XE USB > Matrix X SPDIF3 > AyES > Mutec MC3+ > EC Designs PowerDAC B > Topping Pre90 > Wadia a102 > Cardas SE9 cables > John Blue JB3 speakers. All Clear cables Cardas IC, AyES, Beyond & XL

21 hours ago, hopkins said:

@Norton

Could you try the UPL with the Toslink input of your Resonessence DAC ? I am curious to know whether the "magic" comes from the UPL, or the UPL+MOS combination. Thanks

I may get around to that in time, but at the moment I’m just enjoying listening to the UPL/MOS combo, truly  outstanding.  Next  priority will  be trying the MOS with my Bryston BDP via UTOS so that should give a good idea of the DAC’s role in this (i.e is it just as good without UPL?)  I suspect both the UPL and MOS are bringing something significant: detail retrieval from the low noise floor of the UPL, refinement and unfatiguing sound from the MOS.

1 hour ago, M_audio said:

The magic is obviously the DAC. I hear it everyday in the form of (very similar) Mosaic T.
The UPL is "just" the sugar on the top.

The Sabre-Resonessence is completely different design and vibe. 

We will find out when more trials are done. I do not have a good source outside the UPL, and I do not intend on investing in one. If I bring it over to compare at others' homes I will report back.