IGNORED

ECdesigns

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love my UPL16 and MOS16 combination on my Whammy HPA via a BP tube preamp. It just so 'analogue' sounding - unfatiguing (even without the tube pre).

I would however like to try the diy electro-tos if I could find out more about connecting up at the UTOS or the UPL. I emailed EC Designs but no reply was forthcoming.

Can anyone tell me how I can try this or refer me to a link? I might buy the pukka cable.

I want to read much more about the new gear before I spend again. It would be good to see it reviewed in a respected publication.

• 2 weeks later...

I get so much pleasure from my vinyl set up I wonder if I should just be content with a digital system for background listening.

Mind it has cost quite a lot of money for the former even buying second hand (Pink Triangle PT1 vectored/Zeta arm/Transconfiguration cart). I imagine it would take some beating with a digital system.

• 3 weeks later...

These are very sweeping statements. Loudspeaker least important?

EC are designing equipment that cleans up the digital signal removing as much of the jitter, noise etc as possible.

If they are doing as good a job as I expect it won't matter what state the signal is in - within limits obviously.

As for the actual music - well the best music in the world will sound cruddy through a 60s transistor radio.

7 minutes ago, matthias said:

These guys seem to be very innovative.

So I fear at the very moment you buy something from ECD it is already outdated.

I am curious about the Fractal PowerDAC 🙂

Matt

I bought my UPL16 and MOS16 plus UTOS stick believing this set-up would last me years. I am disappointed that good as the equipment is, I know that things have moved on. I feel that a year's ownership is far too little to be thinking of replacement. I mostly buy second hand but I thought I should buy new this time. I'm disappointed TBH.

From my reading of comments on the new EC Designs products I get the impression that they offer very good value for money. I wonder though if expections are perhaps a little unreasonable. Providing a streaming source from a device costing as much as a small car will I'm sure deliver some increase in SQ.

Comparisons can kill satisfaction in hifi as I'm sure we've all found.

As good as John's engineering is, these products are built to a certain budget - happily one that many normal mortals can afford. Maybe at twice the price some further minor improvements could be made to filter nasties from streaming sources.

It's all about diminishing returns though isn't it.

20 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

The only way you can tell for sure is in your own system and I highly recommend you try if you can - if you are looking for a cost effective, refreshing sound quality.

I am indeed a fan of EC Designs producs having bought the UPL16 and MOS16. I am just wary of spending again when I have owned their previous products only a year. I am happy though that the MOS16 sounds better - in particular more natural than my old Schiit Mobi MB. 

I may try making an electro-tos type lead to see what more performance I can wring from the DAC.

For serious listening I tend to go to my vinyl but I am excited that EC Designs are making these strides in improving digital audio. Good mc cartridges aren't cheap!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 6:39 PM, gstew said:

If a typical digital source uses 30% of the things needed to produce the best sonics and a really good one uses 90% of them, his designs use 150% because he's using some very unique techniques either ahead of common usage or that really are proprietary to his designs.

Sorry - I don't understand this, 

12 hours ago, tapatrick said:

This will create a transparent signal path which is impossible to obtain with analogue circuits and is virtually free of any distortion or degrading. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

You should remember that many people like some distortion providing it's their preferred type. Look at SET amplifiers and at Nelson Pass First Watt designs. 2nd order distortion can give that 'singer in the room' feeling. Strange but true.  

On 8/2/2020 at 9:24 PM, hopkins said:

As explained previously, I do not see the PowerDAC affecting the resale value, in itself, of the current U192 + Fractal. The only thing that could is if they come out with another similar set of improved products. 

I worry that the current line up will be the UPL16 + MOS16 + UTOS of next year. I would like to see upgrade options.

• 5 months later...
19 hours ago, hopkins said:

The real issue, IMO, will be for people who also use analog sources (I do). For those, it will mean either:

A - keep your current amplification, upgrade to the new entry-level DAC/DAPI, and keep all your current sources

B - keep your current amplification for analog sources, and get a PowerDAC for digital only (PC, CD player, TV...). You'll nead a speaker switch. 

C- replace your current amplification + DAC with the PowerDAC and get an ADC for your analog sources. 

I find it difficult to believe anybody would invest a lot of money in a good vinyl or RTR deck and then put it through a/an additional  digital stage expecting not to lose information.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, szczemirek said:

I'm happy owner of DA96ETF with U192ETL.

1. ECdesigns are niche products nearly not resalable on second hand market.

2. I have no any chance for listening DAC before buy.

3. No any professional and objective reviews about new DAC. Sorry @hopkins but for me you are lover not objective listener.

4. Price: all together DAC with IRC and UT96 nearly 1.500EUR plus delivery and TAX.

All the best.

Well I bought the MOS16 and UPL16 thinking I was set for life. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, hopkins said:

I tested digital cables of various lengths:

- short Toslink cable versus 2 meter Toslink using the UT96

- U192 connected to the powerDAC using the short ElectroTos cable supplied by ECD, then adding a 10 meter coax extension 

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00SWYTZLG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_dl_D37ZX8PZN1RJDGYMTV5F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Could not hear any differences. 

As we know longer cables add jitter, I conclude from this that ECD's solution does handle jitter well. I would have to run the same tests with another DAC, which will be for some other day. 

I cannot understand how a cable can add jitter. I know it means pulses will be more rounded off due to multipath propogation but I don't see how pulse timing can jump about.

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2023 at 2:36 AM, Perri said:

I chose the Starget for fit as I think they are good at price per value/sound point and chose the SEPC as they are meant to be good on digital circuits though sometimes they can be harsh oscillations supposedly . I have Blackgates Nichicon Muse and Audionote Kasei etc etc but chose these for some reason and so far they do not irritate me and I like the sound a lot lol .

It does seem that ECDesigns U192 and variants do limit the sound quality and good back the DAC but finding out what will improve upon it at a price per value spot is hard to do .

Spending over 600 on such a unit I think is not sensible .

Not sure I understand this sentence.

I am interested to hear reviews on the Powerdac B.

The other power dacs I find aesthetically challenging and I have no wish to change my loudspeakers. They also seem to be a solution which rules out analogue sources like phono.

I cannot see any sense in using an ADC, especially when I own a very good MC phono amplifier.

Still wondering about buying a used previous generation EC D system but once the brave new world in audio they have fallen into disfavour in the same way as my MOS16 set up.

Power Dac B is looking increasingly desirable but I'm wondering if I need to spend extra on peripherals. I have a combined headphone/optical output on my MacBook but I still have the ATOS usb to toslink from my MOS16.

The limitation is I believe playing >96Khz files without splashing £££ on a usb convertor with Electrotos. I'm wondering if I would miss out at all and doubt I would hear any difference between files of 96 khz and 192 Khz with the same bit depth.

https://www.videoproc.com/resource/why-24-bit-192-khz-music-downloads-make-no-sense.htm

• 1 month later...