IGNORED

ECdesigns

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2019 at 1:12 PM, hopkins said:

The MOS DAC did not do as well.

@hopkins thanks for the report.

Just to clarify, the UPL was used into the Pavane in place of the Ambre?

When you listened to the MOS, was this fed by the Ambre or UPL?

What I/c were you using between MOS and source?  I have found the EC designs kit to be very cable dependent, with best results (as ECD suggest) with short  single strand plastic toslink.  When I tried the MOS with a well regarded brand of glass cable the sound definitely degraded to my ears.

Hi,

The UPL was used into the Pavan in place of the Ambre, then we switched to the MOS DAC (always using a short single strand plastic toslink). 

The DAC was just switched on, without any warmup.

We will be testing it again tomorrow in the same configuration, so I will give it time to warm up. I am also going to use the ECDesigns SVC preamp.

Will update this weekend.

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

Will update this weekend

Thanks.  The Pavane is what, 10x the price of the MOS?  So, if things prove close tomorrow .......

I presume that the UPL worked fine with optical in of Pavane?  There’s advice on ECD site now that UPL only works with DACs with certain SPDIF receivers.

SO I had the opportunity to listen again to the ECDesigns MOS 16 DAC, with the UPL as a source, in the same setup (Audio Note AN speakers - wonderful, and tube preamps/amps). This time, I left the MOS DAC turned on for 30 minutes before playing it, and it was very satisfying ! We did not compare it at length with the Metrum Pavane DAC. The MOS DAC does bring out all the benefits of the UPL. Compared to the Pavane, I felt that it had perhaps a more "direct" sound, and the Pavane was more refined (or polite)... difficult to say, and I may be a little biased :)  

The UPL once again "shined". This time it was compared to the same source (Metrum Ambre), but with an Aqvox "audiophile" switch plugged in to the Ambre. The benefit of the switch was heard, but it did not raise the system to the level of the UPL. Streaming through the Ambre still provided a "flatter" sound, which seemed to "struggle" in comparison with the ease and detail of the UPL. 

Some have reported that the MOS DAC may not sound very dynamic with other sources than the UPL, and it seems to me this could be more a problem in the sources used than in the DAC itself, which I really enjoyed in this setup (I enjoy it in mine as well, but the Audio Note speakers are a step up from my Harbeth P3ESR Anniversay edition speakers, with superior dynamics). The DAC does not seem to add or substract anything, and that is the way I like it !

Thanks @hopkins I’ve been using my MOS, via UTOS, with a Bryston BDP1 as Roon endpoint and have been pleased with the sound, although UPL is still a marked step up in SQ.

My one frustration is the single input on MOS and thus plugging/unplugging of sources - UPL for ultimate  SQ,  BDP for convenience. As they are so cheap maybe answer is simply 2 x MOS as I have spare preamp inputs.

I’d like to see UPL/MOS as a one box integrated player,  with a USB input (maybe via onboard UTOS if  still necessary) for an  additional source.

How did the SVC get on in your friend’s system?

• 4 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 9:24 AM, hopkins said:

I send them my UPL  to install the new output (which they call "ElectroTOS")

Thanks for the heads up. This is a separate box, a form of DD converter as I understand it, as well as  a mod to the UPL.  Does it need its own power supply?

No it is just an additional output on the back of the UPL, and they provide the cable that fits in to the toslink input of the DAC. The cable on the UPL side is a small jack. The LED, i believe is lodged in the part that fits into the DAC's Toslink connector. No added box, no added power supply - it all comes out of the UPL and there is no change to the DAC (its clocks just work better with a better signal). 

I will post a picture tonight. 

Highly recommemded! You get all the benefits of perfect galvanic isolation without the downsides of added jitter/reflections from the toslink cable, and the difference is clearly audible. 

• 3 months later...

It's been exactly two months since John and Gordon mentioned their D/A96TF with Fractal converters. Did anyone get a chance to ask them what to expect in 2020?

UPL24E certainly sounded like a winner to me, they're definitely working hard to develop apps for multiple operating systems

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/79452-building-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-738.html#post5950855

Here is what they have to say about their new product line:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/79452-building-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-post5950855.html

These will be using their new ElectroTos connection, which is an improved optical connection. No i2s connections, as far as I know. 

Projects are close to completion from what I understand (as of a few weeks ago). 

Just saw the link was already posted above. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, hopkins said:

Here is a link to an additional post on DIY Audio by John Brown of ECDesigns explaining the various novel approaches they have developped and will include in their new products:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/79452-building-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-744.html#post6031506

Very interesting developments that I plan on testing as soon as the new products are available.

Thanks.

As I read this the developments are:

a new DAC (I’m not clear what the “fractal” is all about, presumably this will still be some form of ladder DAC?) with an optical interface that will only work with ElectroTos, not regular Toslink.

the ElectroTos being an optical converter with the implication being that this  will be offered in different versions to suit the source interface at one end (?) and will be user configurable as normal Toslink or EC designs’ optical at the other end 

a new UPL with onboard ElectroTos.

Is this your take on it? I hope the new stuff will still be available  at “pocket money” prices.

I put the UPL/MOS combo back in my system yesterday and it sounded absolutely brilliant, very special in the mid range and upper bass.  And a bargain too, normally you have to spend a lot more for this level of inconvenience in hifi.  Having said that, the MOS16 alone fed by UTOS from my Bryston BDP with Roon/Qobuz sounded a lot better than any £300 DAC has a right to.

19 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Did you mean that? LOL. x-D

Actually, putting a needle on the record, plop a silver disc in to a player is much more easy than fiddeling around with digital files and labelling different directories onto an USB-pendrive. Don't get me wrong I love my MOS/UPL combination. The quality of sound is sublime. However, I can not deny with a straight face that it is not  an inconvenient operation.

Edit: Mind you that the files has to be .wav without the .info file otherwise the player goes bananas.  Using Linux it is somewhat difficult to find players that supports a Microsoft proprietary format.  Weird innit?  :)