IGNORED

ECdesigns

Is anyone here familiar with EC Design? They have two DACs in their program the Mosaic 16 (16/96 max) en Mosaic 24 (24/192 max) both have no DSD capabilities.

The claim that their DACs are bit perfect. They have have some software that can test it. While the DACs are not cheap €1500 for the 16 and €2000 for the 24. They are not super expensive. To be honest I am intrigued by them.

Info on their DACs

So what do you think? Is it worth considering them?

[br]

I'm not familiar with them but I am very interested in what they are doing. The Mosaic 16 is also offered with a built in SD card transport (not shown in their website) which appeals to me.

To anyone like me who isn't an electronic engineer but is "snake oil aware" it's very difficult to tell whether their very singular take on digital audio is brilliance or b******t. However, from what I can see John is a regular and respected contributor to DIY audio, so I'm guessing it's more likely the former.

I quite fancied buying a Mosaic 16 player, but have found their comms to date a bit patchy, I'm still not clear whether you can actually buy their stuff at the moment

Price wise the 16 appeals to me. But not being able to play 24/192 does seem to be a drawback.

Schiit Gungnir Multibit for $1250 US seems to be intended along similar lines, and will take 24/192 input.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Price wise the 16 appeals to me. But not being able to play 24/192 does seem to be a drawback.

My impression is that their objective is all about getting the very best from 16/44 (NOS DAC with onboard SD card transport ) which really fits in with what I'd like to achieve from my system.

I've been a 100% satisfied user of DNM amps for the last decade and I can see some similarities of approach. This is one product I'd really like to see Chris review. Any chance?

I am in doubt if I should buy a DAC (if I buy a new dac at all) from such a small(hobby?) company? Eventhough it might sound better then other DACs what if the DACs break down. Will I have any support? Will the company still be making DACs next year?

1500 to 2000 euro is not exactly a cheap DAC.

etc.

[br]

I am in doubt if I should buy a DAC (if I buy a new dac at all) from such a small(hobby?) company? Eventhough it might sound better then other DACs what if the DACs break down. Will I have any support? Will the company still be making DACs next year?

etc.

I guess that's down to you and your budget vs. "risk appetite". I guess though that providing they work OK from new, DACs are less likely to develop faults than other kit?

The first consideration though should be is it any good? Don't know where you are, but in the absence of any independent reviews, if the rest of the EU is like UK you have the right to cancel goods bought at a distance up to 14 days and return them for refund.

Be good to have review up on CA though..

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't be fearful of a service issue as long as the parts are not too obscure. Even the most high end DAC is a trivial device amid the products available. Most medium sized cities will have a pro audio service center that will be more than competent. A friend of mine recently fixed Taylor Swift's guitarist's (tube as I recall) amp for a show that night. I mean seriously, worrying about a warranty is one thing, but most anything can be fixed reasonably.

etc.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Nice review. I wonder if EC design will be successful. The market seems to flooded with good DACs these days. With no USB input I'm not sure how they will manage to sell any DAC.

They've good timing, with all the devices on market designed to improve the quality of the USB connection it's a breath of fresh air to have someone pop up and say "forget about all those little boxes, we've something better that stands on its own."

I'm talking with them now and while the technical details go over my head I know this will be an easier solution than upgrading my DAC and all that lies between it and my PC as I won't be concerned about mismatches and extra cabling.

I received an email back from them and was quoted $1359 on the 16-bit DAC. The volume control is $860, awaiting more information on the yet to be released amplifier. There is currently no option for SD card reader however they are working on an external unit which outputs through toslink.

From a quick search around the internet I picked up on that they sell direct and are overburdened with orders at the moment.

That must have passed me by in my searches, could you provide a link to the info?

it seems that this company love to keep us in the dark . strange website , no order info , no news about availability of the dac

i hope it is just a bad communication . i post here the same questions i have post on Diy audio :

i 'm interested by this dac but can't see any price delay or ordering info anywhere on your website. i can agree with the use of optical fiber for a dac . 20 years ago my it was the better connection for my WADIA dac.

but it was the glass ST optical not the toslink ( perhaps a better mechanical coupling with the optical receiver) .

so my question is what did you choose the toslink over the ST?

second question is for the mini-jack output , what is the benefit of this connection if 90% of the buyer will use a mini/RCA converter to use their cables ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally i have one mosaic 16 dac on order , at first i will feed it with the optical out of my modded airport express . I hope this one will be as good or better than the pcm5102 output dac of my modded airport. Time will say..

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

I also ordered a mosaic t 16/44

The contact with them was great. Gordon Brown sent me answers within a day or so. You can order on their website.

I'll use it with an Auralic Aries mini.

I will let you know on Tuesday :)

Mini jack is their preferred connection because the is less mass on the end portion of the connection. A mini/RCA converter to WBT nextgen or ETI bullet plugs is thereby recommended - as they also have low mass endings (but high prices compared to a jack)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

First impression :)

The optimal cables were still on their way (wireworld supernova 7 - 0,3m - toslink-mini toslink and wireworld nano eclipse - 1m - mini jack - RCA)

So I do have now both cables cheap old from Hama.

So I'll start with one thing only.

I also tried modern music with too much bass. And here it comes. In this one song, I had the problem that there were a row of basses. Deep -deeper - very deep. I always thought my speakers or the room would change these tones that they were all at a different volume level, but now I know. It was the former Oppo 105 and then the Aries mini.

The Mosaic T 16/44 (streamed by tidal HIFI through Aries mini) is finally very nice. It puts Norah jones in the real middle of my room. There also is some kind of relaxed playing and an impressive silence in the songs.

There must be some improvements with the clearness when I have the right cables. I'll inform you then.

One more thing. I have to put the volume a little more up on my T+A V10 tube amp. (Of course Aries mini volume control is off (necessary for bit perfect playing!)

Btw contact, payment, shipping, everything fine, no problems at all!

great to hear that everything is fine for you as i have one on the road to me too . do you think Tidal is the better player for streaming music ? ( i use Audirvana with airplay) do you have tried different higher sampling than 16/44 to see how it works ?

Hi,

AirPlay is as far as I know not the best way!! Especially because it up samples the files to 16/48 and that makes the files not bit perfect anymore.

I can't say anything about Audirvana.

Tidal was my choice because with the HIFI account you get the real CD quality of 16/44.1 I knew before that this will be more or less my only source that's why I "only" ordered the small one, not the big one with 24/192.

For the great jazz albums I use of course vinyl. Because I have almost never heard a remaster that could reach the original vinyls. (First pressings of course)

As I said I use the Auralic Aries mini; and I trust Mr. Wang who replied me to my question if the mini plays bit perfect from HIFI tidal - yes it does.

As the streamer is possible to play a pseudo 24/192 with his 17th bit of the mulibit dacs I could try it if you wish? ;)

There are certain things I like about the idea of the engineer.

It is not a dac with a TD.... It's actual D-A conversion takes place by multiple (multi bit - not the 1 bit sigma delta) resistors. This is an very old concept reinvented. I think shiit does something like this, too. And the MSB ones too, I THINK! Don't hit me if I'm wrong!

Next thing is that they have a PLL inside for the jitter problem. It's just the same thing that a mutec uses. And not having this USB is good in the way that it is galvanically decoupled. There's no need for a Regen to try to do this for you.

Please. I'm only a very interested HIFI friend. I I provided any wrong information it is not on purpose!