IGNORED

Getting Music from MacBook Pro to my AVR

It seems many in the forum have MacBooks. I am wondering what people are using to play their music from the Mac through their hi-fidelity audio system? I am currently using Apple TV, which I assume is considered a DAC of sorts?

What are other solutions that would provide higher sound quality?

Mike

Most dacs above the next price level ($350 or so; CA DacMagic, MF V-Dac, Apogee, etc.) will provide better quality conversion than the ATV. With the rare exception, most dacs fit into their price categories making "you get what you pay for" valid. However, once you get to the really high end stuff, maybe a $4000 dac will best a $10 000 dac or whatever. That's what all the buzz is about the MH ULN-8: a $6000 A/D/A that bests the $20 000 stuff (maybe, depending on whose ears listen).

Your title says "MacBook into AVR" - by this do you mean AV Reciever? If so you can do optical digital, either direct or via network device such as Apple TV or AirPort Express, and I to a spare digital input on the AVR. Your next step for improving quality is a standalone DAC.

Really can give little more than general advice unless we know what AVR or other HiFi kit you have already and a budget.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.