IGNORED

Bach Cello Suites - David Watkin (24/96)

Same for me, even though I had listened to half a dozen other versions before. I haven't listened to Watkin yet so cannot compare. So far, my personal ranking is:

1. Starker on Mercury SACD
  2. Fournier on Tokyo FM SACD
  3. Navarra on Calliope-Kisselhoff SACD
  4. Tunnicliffe in 24/192 (Linn)
  5. Rysanov (viola) in 24/44.1 (BIS)
  6. Rostropovitch on EMI CD
  7. Wispelwey on EPR CD (2012)

Wow, I've never dared to do a ranking. My previous favorite was Isserlis, but both Fournier and Starker are legendary classics.

I've written about it here: Bach Cello Suites – Purity at the highest level | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

But this is a bit tragic, last recording on the cello;

David Watkin gives a definitive period instrument account of Bach’s six solo Cello Suites. It should be in any Bach lover’s collection. One can only marvel at Watkin’s range of colour, his elegance, his verve, variety and spontaneity – above all his understanding of line and pulse. He has long been one of the top cellists around, as soloist, quartet player and principal cellist of the Scottish Chamber Orchestra. This is his final statement as a soloist. A shoulder condition has forced him to stop playing. He will devote his energies, in part, to conducting. Whatever our regrets, we can expect this phenomenal musician to make a mark on the podium too.

the guardian.
Another version of the Cello suites - seriously?

This one, as described on my blog, is really worth it. I really hope this will be my last version (probably until the next...)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20583[/ATTACH]

Gramophone Award Nominees – Baroque Instrumental – A Quick Note Before It’s Too Late | musicophilesblog – from Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

It sounds really great as well, and is a genuine 24/96 recording.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20584[/ATTACH]

We have Pablo Casal to thank for turning this otherwise obscure suites into a block buster. His recording of it is available but in mono transferred from 78 rpm vinyl.

When I first heard Starker's performance on SACD it was a truly spiritual experience for me.

I may check the new Watkin release one of these days...

Starker on SACD is my favorite. I don't know if it is available as download.

But I always enjoy other performers (assuming they are good!).

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Starker is obviously a classic, and very well recorded.

Watkin takes a slightly faster pace, but without feeling rushed at all. Between the two I'd chose Watkin.

Very interesting... Your opinion matters a lot to me.

BTW... I now remember I was never able to find Starker's in SACD and bought the 24/176 from hdtracks, which is surely ripped off of the SACD.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Same for me, even though I had listened to half a dozen other versions before. I haven't listened to Watkin yet so cannot compare. So far, my personal ranking is:

This is totally awesome... I'm guessing you like this piece! ;)

system pics

How could this possibly be better than Niki Minaj!!??

Jimmy sweetie darling... A plate of charcuterie is better than Niki.

system pics

But this is a bit tragic, last recording on the cello; the guardian.

Just listened to Suite #1... Amazing... Inspiring...

system pics

What about Casals?

system pics

What about Casals?
Casals archive recordings made suites famous, as already been told here and elsewhere. At the same time, Casals set a tradition of romantic approach to this pieces, which was followed and effectively depleted by mid-century performers. Fortunately, many wonderful sets from musicians who are searching new (or "new old") approaches are available. Fresh-air Thedeen and Beschi renditions, zen approach from ter Linden (stripped down Bach, nothing in a vein of Rostropovich over-emotional self-admiration), crafty delicateness of Jian Wang, gravity-free transparency of Queyras, playfulness and irony of Schiff.
Casals archive recordings made suites famous, as already been told here and elsewhere. At the same time, Casals set a tradition of romantic approach to this pieces, which was followed and effectively depleted by mid-century performers. Fortunately, many wonderful sets from musicians who are searching new (or "new old") approaches are available. Fresh-air Thedeen and Beschi renditions, zen approach from ter Linden (stripped down Bach, nothing in a vein of Rostropovich over-emotional self-admiration), crafty delicateness of Jian Wang, gravity-free transparency of Queyras, playfulness and irony of Schiff.

Beautiful summary!

Great, thanks.

system pics

If I remember correctly, Starker and Wispelwey recorded it twice. Which recordings are we referring to in this case?
I believe at least 3 recordings of complete set from Starker are available presently, but he recorded it 4 or 5 times. However, listeners refer to his early recording on Mercury. His late recording for RCA is not so exciting, imho. Wispelwey recorded suites two times for Channel Classics and third time for some obscure label wich is called Evil Penguin. All three recordings are good, again, I believe most prefer second for Channel Classics from 1998.

Thanx. Been a while since I last listened to my collection of cello suites. Should put them into a playlist for comparative listening over the weekend with regular Coke with crush ice.

If I remember correctly, Starker and Wispelwey recorded it twice. Which recordings are we referring to in this case?

Starker: I am referring to his recording for Mercury, available on SACD. HDTracks sells a 176.4kHz 24bit SACD rip.

Wispelwey: I am referring to his third recording, for Evil Penguin Records.