IGNORED

Bach Cello Suites - David Watkin (24/96)

Another version of the Cello suites - seriously?

This one, as described on my blog, is really worth it. I really hope this will be my last version (probably until the next...)

David_Watkin-J_S_Bach_The_Cello_Suites.jpg

Gramophone Award Nominees – Baroque Instrumental – A Quick Note Before It’s Too Late | musicophilesblog – from Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

It sounds really great as well, and is a genuine 24/96 recording.

01-01-Suite_No_1_in_G_Major_BWV_1007_I_Prelude-SMR.m4a_report.png

Where did you find the 24/96 download? I only found Redbook.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Did not even think of looking for this one at HDTracks. Thanks.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Where did you find the 24/96 download? I only found Redbook.

Seems to be available at all the usual suspects:

Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 6.03.50 PM.png

Here's the link for HDTracks:

http://www.hdtracks.com/david-watkin-j-s-bach-the-cello-suites

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Yes, I like the Eijlander, it's very nice and beautifully recorded. The Watkin well deserves its award, though. I find myself listening to it over and over.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Yes, I like the Eijlander, it's very nice and beautifully recorded. The Watkin well deserves its award, though. I find myself listening to it over and over.

There's something about the "vintage" cello sound that is enthralling, besides his rather sensitive performance. I find I enjoy Rachel Podger's recordings quite a bit, too - again, I think it's something about the combination of the (obviously) fine musicianship and the period instrument.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 4 weeks later...
It's a cello, not a silent dog whistle. The main thing is there is no artificial cut-off.

The question is if these higher frequencies make any difference in sound quality, if they in fact are below 100dB... I guess the only way to find out would be to compare the recording to a redbook version.

Nothing above 16 kHz makes any direct difference to sound quality for an adult. Nothing above 20kHz for a child. What is relevant is the presence or absence of a sharp cutoff (and even then, probably only important if poorly implemented). But you know that already. Instruments like cello and piano have very little high-frequency content, so the 24 bit property is probably more important than the 96kHz limitation (48 kHz cutoff).

The question is if these higher frequencies make any difference in sound quality, if they in fact are below 100dB... I guess the only way to find out would be to compare the recording to a redbook version.

A 16-bit 44.1 kHz version wouldn't only have a lower upper frequency limit in comparison to the 24-bit 96 kHz version; it would also have lower bit depth and different filtering artefacts. Also, your playback equipment would behave differently with files of different resolutions, regardless of the waveforms encoded in the files. If you heard a difference, how would you know whether that was solely due to one version containing frequencies that aren't in the other version?

Am I interpreting the graph correctly that most of the ultrasonic frequencies on this recording are below 100dB?

Hi Hiro. If I understand your question correctly, the ultrasonic frequencies appear to cross the -100dB point (that is, where they are 100dB down from as loud as the signal can get) at about 32kHz. Is that responsive to what you wanted to know?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

How does it compare to Janos Starker's performance?

Sorry, haven't heard Starker.

By the way, to give some notion of -100dB, the difference between your ear up against a car horn and a quiet listening room is somewhere around 80dB.

Starker is obviously a classic, and very well recorded.

Watkin takes a slightly faster pace, but without feeling rushed at all. Between the two I'd chose Watkin.

When I first heard Starker's performance on SACD it was a truly spiritual experience for me.

I may check the new Watkin release one of these days...

A 16-bit 44.1 kHz version wouldn't only have a lower upper frequency limit in comparison to the 24-bit 96 kHz version; it would also have lower bit depth and different filtering artefacts. Also, your playback equipment would behave differently with files of different resolutions, regardless of the waveforms encoded in the files. If you heard a difference, how would you know whether that was solely due to one version containing frequencies that aren't in the other version?

A comparison with a 24/48 version would be more fair, though a test involving a standard redbook PCM version could still be interesting. Unless the SQ on this download is so great that no CD version can possibly touch it...

Hi Hiro. If I understand your question correctly, the ultrasonic frequencies appear to cross the -100dB point (that is, where they are 100dB down from as loud as the signal can get) at about 32kHz. Is that responsive to what you wanted to know?

It's hard to see from the graph where the exact point of the ultrasonic frequencies reaching the -100dB level is (28~32), but yes, your interpretation of the graph is in line with mine, give or take a few hertz.

When I first heard Starker's performance on SACD it was a truly spiritual experience for me.

Same for me, even though I had listened to half a dozen other versions before. I haven't listened to Watkin yet so cannot compare. So far, my personal ranking is:

1. Starker on Mercury SACD
  2. Fournier on Tokyo FM SACD
  3. Navarra on Calliope-Kisselhoff SACD
  4. Tunnicliffe in 24/192 (Linn)
  5. Rysanov (viola) in 24/44.1 (BIS)
  6. Rostropovitch on EMI CD
  7. Wispelwey on EPR CD (2012)