IGNORED

Need a link for a USB cable

I have read through a number of threads regarding USB cables. I'm no stranger to buying expensive cables. The Cardas cables in my stereo system were only slightly less expensive than a villa in Spain. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have spent anywhere near that kind of money on cables. I'm not passing judgment on audiophiles who do, just saying I wouldn't do it again.

So, I am trying to take wgscott's advice and find a usb cable for no more than $10-20. I looked on Monoprice and Blue Jean and I'm confused (since they start at under a buck). I am trying to connect the USB port on my Rega DAC-R to a 2014 Mac Mini (which will only be a few feet away). Can someone provide the correct link/part desription to a decent USB cable. I don't know if I need a USB a male to male or...??? I just need to be led by the nose to a decent cable.

Thanks very much. Everyone has been very helpful as I wade into the quicksand.

I have read through a number of threads regarding USB cables. I'm no stranger to buying expensive cables. The Cardas cables in my stereo system were only slightly less expensive than a villa in Spain. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have spent anywhere near that kind of money on cables. I'm not passing judgment on audiophiles who do, just saying I wouldn't do it again.

So, I am trying to take wgscott's advice and find a usb cable for no more than $10-20. I looked on Monoprice and Blue Jean and I'm confused (since they start at under a buck). I am trying to connect the USB port on my Rega DAC-R to a 2014 Mac Mini (which will only be a few feet away). Can someone provide the correct link/part desription to a decent USB cable. I don't know if I need a USB a male to male or...??? I just need to be led by the nose to a decent cable.

Thanks very much. Everyone has been very helpful as I wade into the quicksand.

This topic has been debated endlessly. I don't need to tell you that USB cables range in price from $2 to over $1,000. I believe, based on my own testing, that there is an audible difference between USB cables. I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to limit your budget to $20 on a USB cable. If I told you that a $44 cable might sound better than a $20 cable, would you spend the extra money? The Supra USB is one of the most highly regarded USB cables here on CA. I use this on my desktop system.

Notice the connectors shown. Those are standard USB "A" male to USB 2.0 "B" male plugs. That's what you need.

I would also strongly suggest that you look into the Uptone Audio REGEN device ($175) to connect to the USB input on your DAC. Nearly all its users here report significant improvements in SQ with this add-on. There are a plethora of threads on CA discussing the REGEN.

Supra USB 2 0 for Audio 1 Meter 3 28' What Hi Fi 5 Star Rated Made in Sweden | eBay

I also like this USB cable ($50), which I use on my main system:

Kimber USB Cu

I am trying to take wgscott's advice and find a usb cable for no more than $10-20. I looked on Monoprice and Blue Jean and I'm confused (since they start at under a buck). I am trying to connect the USB port on my Rega DAC-R to a 2014 Mac Mini (which will only be a few feet away). Can someone provide the correct link/part desription to a decent USB cable. I don't know if I need a USB a male to male or...??? I just need to be led by the nose to a decent cable.

Even though your Mac mini has USB3 ports, what you want is a USB2 cable, so that the end that goes in your DAC will be the right plug. Specifically, what you want is a USB 2.0 Male A to Male B cable. The "A" end goes the the mini; the "B" end goes to the Rega DAC-R.

Here's a 3-foot one (very affordable!) at Monoprice:

3ft USB 2.0 A Male to B Male 28/24AWG Cable - (Gold Plated) - Monoprice.com

And here's the page at Blue Jeans Cable:

Data Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

At Blue Jeans you need to scroll down to the dialog entitled "USB 2.0 Cables: Black jacket, type A to type B connectors" and pick the length you want (only a little less affordable than Monoprice).

Disclaimer: I'm not endorsing these specific cables, nor am I advocating the use of any old cable in one's audio system. I'll say, however, that I recently purchased a pair of Blue Jeans's "top-of-the-line" speaker cables and have been very impressed with their quality. Also, my fairly pricey Audiophilleo came with a short generic USB cable, and I use that as part of the USB->S/PDIF chain in my main system, along with somewhat more audiophile-grade Audioquest Cinnamon USB and WireWorld Ultraviolet S/PDIF cables (both of which are way prettier than generic cables).

At the prices for the cables linked above, I don't think it hurts much to try either or both and see how they "sound."

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Belden Gold, true 90 ohm cable meeting the USB spec (most don't), $9 for 6 ft length on Amazon.

Blue Jeans USB cables, according recently to the guy who runs the joint in an email to me, are sourced from the same Chinese factory that makes 90% of the USB cables in the world. Why bother.

Thanks for replies. I am ready to pull the trigger, but... I can't quite find the recommended cables. I tried to find the Belden Gold cable on Amazon, but can only find the Belkin Gold. Is there a specific link to the $9 Belden? Also, I looked at the Blue Jean Belden cable and it's $1.50. Is that the one?

Thanks.

My error, sorry, meant Belkin. Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z5T2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

As the minimum I suggest buying an AQ Jitterbug ($50) and a Wireworld Starlight cable ($100) . Unfortunately our friends across the Atlantic seem to have lost their high frequency hearing in recommending cables like Supra and Vertere, wish I hadn't wasted the money on them. If you want to spend more, buy the REGEN first ($175), you may decide then that you need go no further.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system