IGNORED

Why does Amarra have a "dealer" network?

Andrew S.

One thing I do not understand is why SS would employ a dealer network. What use is that?

Anyone into computer audio generally knows enough to load the program - or can work it out. They know enough to follow instructions. What do the "dealers" know you don't? If you go for support it always ends up back at SS, unless you are a complete and utter computer audiophile novice ie want someone to set it all up for you. In which case you wouldn't be looking at Amarra. And almost certainly not at computer audio.

In Australia what the distributor/dealer knows about computer audio you could write on the back of a postage stamp. Why should I pay a retail margin for him being a post office. Ditto VRS. What do they bring to the table that SS doesn't? Expertise? In what. Mailing iLok's? Passing on emails?

Why not simply wholesale Amarra, offer 30 day free trial dl's with the option to buy a license during that time. Works for 99% of the world.

This is a SW product that happens to be an audio component, not the other way around.

All IMHO etc etc

Cheers

Andrew

Best Wishes

Andrew

The goal of Sonic/Amarra will be to induce non-technical audiofiles to use Amarra. For this, competent dealers will be an absolute requirement in order for Sonic to properly 'scale'. Every time Jonathan has to answer an email from a customer, that's time taken away from improving the product for the rest of us.

On the other hand, I'm loathe to think that perhaps a significant portion of this expensive software goes to a dealer as a typical retail margin.

In my case, I chose Vincent/VRS as my dealer, if mainly to pay homage to his being the one who convinced Sonic to build Amarra. I don't expect to need them for much, if at all.

clay

distribution channels (includes sales, retail outlets, shelf space, mix of related products etc). Then,

2) advertisement

3) publicity

4) service

5) support

and so on...

Order of importance from #2 on varies with product.

Sonic pays for the dealers to provide these services out of the profit margin it charges for its DACs, software, etc.

Cheers,

James[br]

Possibly to be able to sell according to local laws and regulations. Compare with hdtracks.com that, at least when I checked the last time, will not sell to you unless you're a US citizen. This if I remember correctly due to taxes etc.

Just a thought, I'm not defending the phenomena..

:D

Thanks for your replies and I see your points.

I just wonder, in this digital world, if the traditional distribution channels are valid, particularly for sw. Most sw companies tend to offer slightly crippled trial dl's - which is exactly what SS do on their website - which you can then convert into a fully functioning product by buying a licence online. In SS's case to purchase you have to "buy" through a dealer.I wondered about this when I bought my Mini through the "dealer" here.

After waiting 2 weeks for the material to come to me via the dealer the first thought when I received the actual "package" containing install CD, iLok and some home office printed materials was - why is this being sent out? the physical installer was already out of date, the materials would have just as easily been in a pdf on the website and the iLok? well my views on that are well known at this point. Stupidity personified.

It seems from my own experience (and from what I can see here) that almost every question gets sent back to Jon at SS in any event: it being (mostly) bug related. What can a "dealer" possibly do when it is source code related. Presumably the idea is to get the sw to a point that the (excellent) support is not constantly required.

I'm really not sure about the publicity argument - I would suggest in this day and age anyone into computer audio would well and truly know about Amarra without some dealer touting it. 90% of research is done on line these days.

Someone getting into computer audio usually researches it online and then asks their friends. I know I have helped a few friends with their computer set ups. Most of you will have as well.

As an aside my experience is that most consumer audio dealers - at least here - really do not know much about computer audio. Primarily because they don't have a box they can plug in, sell and forget about, warranty claims aside. Which is why asynch USB should be so successful: it is plug and play ie a box.

SW is a totally different kettle of fish.

I suppose the other problem I have with the distribution model SS have adopted is that it doesn't know if it is Arthur or Martha. It seems to be some weird mix of pro (who largely know what they talk about) and non pro (who usually do not) dealers selling to a consumer market which is largely online in any event. All the while asking the consumer to pay for a (redundant) dealer's margin.

Again I raise this question here so (hopefully) SS will actually have a look at their business plan and decide what it is they are trying to achieve and whether they are really going about it in the most sensible manor. I would suggest VRS can be compensated for their input by other means - if it requires compensation.

Just my 2 cents.

ps - compliance with local laws and regulations? for sw? You don't pay sales etc tax for sw purchased abroad. Our Govt long ago gave up trying to police that one. All it does by adding a 'dealer' here is raise the price by 10% - our "GST" (if by nothing other than the opportunity cost of having it subject to that tax).

Best Wishes

Andrew