IGNORED

recording method vs sound reproduction

I am not an audio engineer, but I rather found than simpler miking technique could produce better sound reproduction, but of course we have many other things which happening in the middle. I have found on recent even good records and labels like ECM for instance that sometimes the record itself is overdone, meaning I can feel/hear too much trickery going around, than the sound is dull, limited without musicality - boxy. Part of that is the layering of the studio, mixing, mastering, but maybe also miking.

If I compare old records, from 50's, 60's where we didn't have all of these good stuff in the studio and only pair of mikes was used they have beside their sound limitations something in it - musical content which cause you toe-tapping. It has nothing if high resolution or not and what sampling rate it has. Just my five cents, probably OT.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata