IGNORED

Antelope DA Review

Happy

Hi, I'll be at Sweetwater in a few weeks, so I'll talk to Robert about this.

You should indeed connect the OCX to the Lynx AES16 (and turn SyncroLock off). Connecting it to the DA is designed to provide additional outputs, when needed for large studios. The DA is a "Distribution Amplifier" which de-jitter's the BNC input and the sends that signal out it's BNC outputs. The improved sound you're hearing on the AES thru can only be from ground isolation in the DA. The AES thru is not de-jittered, as it is in our Zodiac Plus, which was designed to have that capability. That thru is only there for cases when the DA needs to clock to an external AES signal and distribute it, the thru is there as to not interrupt the use of the AES audio signal.

To be honest, I think for your system, you'd be much better off with a Z+ than the OCX and DA, which are designed for Pro Audio, specifically cases where a rig consists of multiple digital devices with clock inputs. In addition, the Zodiac Plus has Trinity-level clocking inside, which is now five years newer and updated beyond both the OCX and DA. I am only trying to clarify the products to you, not trying to sell you more, as you've already purchased about the same money on those two units you have.

Regards,

Marcel

It's a direct digital amp (DAC+AMP) which sounds best with a digital input. It can handle analog inputs but has to resample the signal which is less than ideal. So, the Zodiac wouldn't make much sense in my setup unless I get rid of the NAD (not likely at this point).

I know the OCX may be an older model but I am confident I will hear better sound over the Lynx card, right? If I want better clocking, I can still use my setup and add your Atomic clock onto the OCX, right?

I may have misunderstood Robert or more likely not explained my setup very well, so don't take it out on him; I am just a lawyer with limited technical ability. :)

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Marcel,

I may now underStand what you are saying. Does the Zodiac have both W/C in AND W/C out? If that's the case, then I get what you are saying. I could use the Zodiac as master clock and take the AES from the Lynx. Can I still upgrade to atomic without the OCX; does Zodiac have atomic clock input?

Thanks so much for your help,

Michael.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

If someone wants to add a Zodiac+ and keep a card like Lynx AES in their system, and use AES, compare these configurations:

Lynx as transport with Zodiac clocked via Lynx AES output (or dedicated Lynx word clock output BNC cable)

Lynx as transport with OCX as master clock for Zodiac & Lynx via dedicated BNC

With all this talk of seeking a master clock as close to DA conversion, doesn't the Lynx as transport still make a large impact, because it "controls" the timing; no matter how much jitter reduction is done at/after the PLL in the DAC?

I'm curious of the Trinity-level clocking in the Z+ is void (or "impaired") when using AES and clocking over AES (or dedicated BNC from a card like Lynx), and rather that users would be only be receiving the full benefit of the Z+ Trinity-level clocking/de-jittering when the Z+ is in Async USB mode....?

If users wanted to retain their Lynx card, for example, would a dedicated word clock syncing to DAC and transport via 75-ohm BNC result in higher fidelity....?

Basically, a comparison between possible the "home/prosumer" user with Async USB vs. someone with mastering rig, ADC, external clock, etc.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote