IGNORED

iDSD Pro

4est

Hi,

For RMAF, the Pro iCAN will makes its debut there. For launch in early October.

The Pro iDSD is still going through some major work (more on features+software coding than anything else). It is expected late November.

Once we have more details to divulge we shall. We prefer to only announce publicly once it is 'soup' as this is the flagship series of the iFi range and we plan to take our time with it to make it as jaw droppingly good as possible.

In the meanwhile, some shots of what we have given out.

Pro iCAN

The Stax Energiser model is not included.

iCAN Ver0.377.jpg

Pro iDSD

iDSD Ver0.375.jpg

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[h=1]Helicarrier 1 - request permission for take-off[/h]

Copy helicarrier 1, permission granted...

LL

and

LL

See you at the Canjam. wink_face.gif

(pls excuse the rough pics - but they are taxiing on the runway for Denver)

Helicarrier 2 is still in the hangar - it won't be at RMAF. Crew chief Thorsten and his team are working round the clock - the only thing that has remained the same is the name. All else has been radically changed.

[h=1]It's Friday so here you go....[/h]

Unfortunately, we cant upload a pdf to here but we will upload it to website soon.

The GE5670 is so good that it has become a standalone product for 6922 customers. The 'NOS 6922' valve/tube set will go live in the next few days.

WARNING: despite the same 9-pin setup, because the pin outs are different, it is not a 'straight swap.' One needs special adapters which AMR/iFi developed:

Cheers.

[h=1]'Skin' says it is okay to show the Rear Panel[/h]

As this is very close to the production version, we are chuffed to divulge the rear panel.

LL

[h=4]Rear Panel (Left to Right)[/h]

Left (1): 4 x Inputs (1 x Balanced/XLR and 3 x RCAs)

Middle (2): 1 x Outputs (Balanced & RCA)

Right (3) lower: switch for 3.5mm and 6.3mm jack balanced/Single-Ended

Right (4) upper: 15v DC in (actually 9v to 18v DC) and DC loop through

Connector for Electrostatic module jecklinsmile.gif

Yes, the Pro iCAN is a full line-stageregular_smile%20.gif

May I ask besides USB OTG (which I imagine the idsd pro will support) will there also be APTX Bluetooth and MQA support ? I mean I know that the first is very handy (not the best for quality though) but the second one would also be very useful ..If It ever takes off.. Tidal may support It..

Finally have you maintained the use of the quad BB chip's in the new design or have you moved to something different ..more pro like the ESS or AKM sort ?..

The main reason that made me sell my Mytek 192 to fund a new dac is future proofness besides hope for something even better. The performance of the idsd micro (I already own) for It's price gives me substantial reason to hope for something really special that will balance between pro and hifi qualities evenly and blow me away like my previous dac did three years ago...

Thanx

Hi,

Quad Burr-Brown remains as that is a cornerstone our the uniqueness of iFi DACs from the nano iDSD through to the Retro Stereo 50. ESS, we had that in the iDAC and while we felt we pushed it to the limit, there were some things that one cannot just overcome.

MQA, we cant comment on another manufacturer's product. But it wont be in the iFi range for the foreseeable future. What we can say is that it makes most sense at the upstream player software rather than the downstream DAC stage.

Wireless play, we prefer not to say anything unless/until it becomes soup as a lot is up in the air.

Thanks

May I ask besides USB OTG (which I imagine the idsd pro will support) will there also be APTX Bluetooth and MQA support ? I mean I know that the first is very handy (not the best for quality though) but the second one would also be very useful ..If It ever takes off.. Tidal may support It..

Finally have you maintained the use of the quad BB chip's in the new design or have you moved to something different ..more pro like the ESS or AKM sort ?..

The main reason that made me sell my Mytek 192 to fund a new dac is future proofness besides hope for something even better. The performance of the idsd micro (I already own) for It's price gives me substantial reason to hope for something really special that will balance between pro and hifi qualities evenly and blow me away like my previous dac did three years ago...

Thanx

Hi,

We are working in this direction and once it is soup, more will be revealed. But until then, we prefer not to confirm or deny anything. As we dont want to promise something we cant deliver on.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
iFi, how about an update? The only reason I have not bought an Yggy yet is because I'm waiting for the iDSD Pro. How much longer? Thanks.

We really appreciate your waiting for the Pro iDSD. The Pro iCAN will launch at the end of Feb. The Pro iDSD is expected in May/June. There is some nice new tech that is not public yet and we wish to incorporate it. Until it is soup, we wish to stay mum.

This is the flagship (except for the AMR stuff) so we will only release it when we know there is nothing quite like it.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The iCAN Pro is out early April.

The iDSD Pro is not imminent. The iDSD Pro is expected in June. It is possible that the prototype makes it for Munich in May.

The MSRP is still at the moment expected to be US$2,000 (ex-tax) but this is our best guess until the features are confirmed.

On the marketing side, the full specs are not released to us until close to the launch - like the iCAN Pro we have had to wait.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

iFi USA

Official distribution handover

iFi.jpg

Southport, UK – 18th April 2016

iFi has taken over distribution from Avatar Acoustics.

AMR/iFi would like to thank Avatar Acoustics for their immense contribution since 2007. The new launches, product awards and national dealer network is second-to-none. Avatar Acoustics will always remain much respected.

iFi USA; a wholly-owned subsidiary of AMR/iFi will handle the expanding retail network and all the demands hitherto required of such a major operation. It is fully committed to serving our customers as we enter the next growth phase.

For further details, please email [email protected]

Any plans to put the iCan Pro up on your website soon? People are already talking about it but seems rather unofficial until it's on your site. Part of your suspense building strategy perhaps? It's definitely working.

Hi,

We are rolling out the Pro iCAN as we speak. The Pro iDSD is likely to be July.

There are features that are not on the market yet that we are testing and if we can put it in, we shall. Though we may not be able to put it in.

Thanks,

You reviewers always get the first taste. I'm envious. Must be hard everytime u have to return good sounding gear.

Hi

We have the Pro iCAN official launch at Munich. 4 May. Something to involve everyone - it should be quite nice.

Before then, we have the iPHONO2 on 25 April and the iPurifier 2 Type A on 9 May

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

[h=1]iFi Quad DSD Sampler Album – Native DSD Music[/h]LL

We would like to thank our very kind friends at NativeDSDMusic.

To celebrate the launch of the Pro iCAN, they have offered this very special ‘sampler’ recorded in dsd256 (natively) for all our readers.

iFi Quad DSD Sampler Album - Native DSD Blog

https://nativedsdpresents.nativedsd.com/albums/NDSD002-ifi-quad-dsd-sampler-album

The coupon code QuadDSD

The code is valid for three weeks only. The code gives a 100% discount.

The music is as follows:

Track 1: Groovy and hypnotising percussion music..

Album & Artist:

• Yarlung Records: YAR 15195DSD – Smoke & Mirrors Percussion Ensemble

DSD Track:

• Vanish – track 1 - Udacrep Akubrad (Dorman) 8:41

Track 2: Jazz vocals and guitar, to dream away..

Album & Artist:

• Just Listen: JL002 – Thomas & Eva

DSD Track:

• 8 Ensembles in 1 Bit - track 5 - Early Autumn (Herman) 2:47

Track3 : Bach's famous Cello Suite, what a genius..

Album & Artist:

• Navis Classics: NC15003 - Joachim Eijlander

DSD Track:

• Bach: Cello Suites - track 1 - Prelude (Bach) 2:33

Track 4: 1,2,3 - 1,2,3 - Waltz with Chopin's wonderful piano music..

Album & Artist

• Eudora Records: EUDDR 1402 - Josep Colom

DSD Track:

• Dialogue: Mozart & Chopin – track 10 - Waltz in A Minor, Op. 34, No. 2

(Chopin) 5:58

Enjoy the tunes natively on your Stereo50, micro iDSD, micro iDAC2, nano iDSD!

Thank you very much NativeDSDMusic!

NativeDSD.com

NativeDSD's 20% discount on the previous Quad DSD tracks - Album version!

The overwhelming wave of feedback about this first ever Quad DSD (256fs) Sampler Album included many complements about the choice of tracks! The percussion ensemble on track 1, the voice/guitar jazz duo on track 2, the baroque solo cellist on track 3 and the classical pianist on track 4... Well, guess what?

Those 4 Quad DSD albumson which those 4 tracks can be found are now available with a 20% discount!

Once any or all album(s) are in your cart, apply the coupon code: 4xQUAD

** Valid through June 30th, on the Quad DSD (256fs) downloads ** Any DSD 256fs purchase generates the free option to download the Double DSD (128fs) and DSD (64fs) versions as well!

1). Smoke & Mirrors - Vanish

by: Yarlung Records (YAR15195)

https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/smoke-mirrors-vanish

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26905[/ATTACH]

2). 8 Ensembles in 1 Bit

by: Just Listen (JL002)

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/jl0028-ensembles-in-1-bit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26906[/ATTACH]

3). Bach Cello Suites (Vol. 1)

by: Navis Classics (NC15003)

https://navisclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/NC15003-bach-cello-suites-vol-1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26907[/ATTACH]

4). Dialogue (Mozart & Chopin)

by: Eudora Records (EUDDR1402)

https://eudora.nativedsd.com/albums/mozart-chopin-dialogue

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26908[/ATTACH]

• 4 weeks later...
I love iFI micro iDSD and I'll buy iCAN PRO.

I'm waiting PRO iDSD DAC...

We understand as the marketing dept is just as eager. Our design team said RMAF is when the Pro iDSD should be available for demo. They are working like crazed people on this. Cheers.

Can we have more information on XMOS isn't it you just buy and use right

Here you go. This is sourced from development information on the micro iDSD that we uploaded over on Head-Fi.

iFi-XMOS solution: all out 8-Core CPU and ground-up coding

With software design, when it comes to the usability factor, Apple is the undisputed king.

No, we cannot match Apple, yet we can still try our very best to improve the usability factor as humanly possible with each and every new product.

The micro iDSD is no exception. It really has an unprecedented level of software optimisation at both the XMOS and the microprocessor levels. As a typical user, he or she will never see but we hope they hear it.

Starting from the XMOS chipset, we employed the latest U-series XMOS Octa(8)-Core chip.

8 core.jpg.png

Traditionally for USB audio, the 6-core chip is more than enough, however we are packing in a lot of extra features and XMOS internal clock optimisations hence the two extra cores are required and give it that extra bit of ooomph.

This is like a Dual-Core versus a Single-Core computer, no comparison when it comes to benchmark tests and in use.

XMOS Programming – CPU Load Optimisation

There is the XMOS USB platform and there is iFi XMOS USB platform.

The micro iDSD uses an Octa(8) core XMOS chip (not the common 6 core). In our experience, to have the best audio performance, the loading of each core needs to be optimised. However, the XMOS development tools do not provide us with a tool (think Task Manager in Windows) to monitoring the real-time loading of each core and every core. As a result, we went ahead and developed our very own real-time load monitor for the XMOS.

We then used it to analyse the loading of each core of the stock XMOS platform for all the sampling frequencies and data formats (PCM and DSD). What we found out was that loading was not optimised for best audio performance.

Loading of an XMOS core before optimization

• Overall, a very unevenly spread and with some very high loads. You can see some have hit their "peak."

6core.png

We then went on to perform a full optimisation (took us a few months to punch through) on the core loading. Now we can sleep better at night knowing that the XMOS running on all iFi products is fully-optimised for audio and we can hear the results easily (we hope you can too).

Loading of an XMOS core after optimization

• lower and smoother loading for each and every core.
  • especially for the audio-related cores, the lowest and the smoothest.

8core.jpg

XMOS Programming – Star Clocking Scheme

There is the XMOS USB platform and there is iFi XMOS USB platform.

There is a radical ‘Star-Clock’ scheme in the iFi-XMOS implementation. This is a major departure from the traditional 'Daisy Chain' clocking scheme provided originally by XMOS which many others use.

Why? On the stock XMOS USB platform, we were not 100% happy with the overall jitter level, especially with high-speed signals. Our software team, one of whom who has military defence programming experience, spent a few sleepless nights on the XMOS standard source code and discovered that the standard XMOS used a traditional 'Daisy Chain' clocking scheme; which is perfectly fine for low-speed audio signals, but not the best topology for high-speed audio signals.

The reason he discovered this was he actually did his entire programming in Ada when he used to work for military projects. (Ada was named after Ada Lovelace (1815–1852), who is widely credited as being the first computer programmer)

For some background reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_(programming_language)

One of the reasons (of course there are many other reasons too) for doing the military stuff in Ada is because of the real-time requirements (he once working on a targeting system for an air-to-air missile system)

So everything must be in real-time and must have zero-timing error. In other words, this guy is "super timing sensitive”.

ada.jpg

After discovering this, he went on to redesign the whole clocking topology inside XMOS USB platform and utilised a 'Star Clocking' scheme which he used before in the missile targeting system (he was part of).

To put this into an audio context, parallels can be drawn from the JVC 'K2' mastering grade clocking scheme below:

jvc k2.jpg

Inside the customised iFi-XMOS, just imagine ‘what if’ all those internal XMOS software modules received their reference clocks from a single, ultra-low jitter master clock?

This is exactly what happens and improves the overall system jitter performance significantly and is easily audible as the attack and decay is better presented and everything is just more accurately executed.

• 2 months later...
Wow!.. The first thing that has obviously evlved since the debut announcement of this dac two years ago is the price... Initially below 1000 lately 1500-2000 and a little before the release above 2000 (inc tax).

I dont mean to be sarcastic. Knowing what they are capable of being an owner of an i dsd micro I am very interested to see this pro dac and listen to It. They must have done quite a job to charge that much!..

The Pro series is not the same as the original Mini series - which is what you refer to. Hence, the Pro iCAN is not the same as the Mini iCAN from back then. Hope this clarifies!

Hope everyone's having a good start to their week!

We just want you all to know that we are currently running a tour for our Pro iCAN, which we are organizing through Head-Fi.

If you're interested at all in spending some time with our flagship amplifier, be sure to check out the thread HERE!

If you're interested but don't have a Head-Fi account, feel free to contact us and we'll see what we can do for you!

In addition, we've announced some exciting news for RMAF and the upcoming months! So even if you're not looking to try the Pro iCAN, be sure to check the thread for all the latest and greatest!

Here's a sneak peek:

iCAN + iEnergiser.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Right, about that PRO iDSD thingy people talk about lately?

IT! IS! HEEEEREEEEE!

Well, almost. OK, as per usual, we can't give too much specifics, teasers will have to do the trick today... But let's take it one day at a time and dang, things are going to get heavy. Stay with us just a little longer!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29563[/ATTACH]

Juicy details are to be served very soon. In the meantime, ENJOY!

And if you feel like it, here's the official thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f30-abbingdon-music-research-ifi-audio-sponsored/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-official-thread-its-happening-folks-30086/#post588794