IGNORED

Unable to access my NAS form Win 10

I see this problem showing up all over and not just Win 10, but I see few solutions. Is this a prevailant issue?

The Problem -

I am having a tough time mapping or accessing my Synology NAS so that I can use the folder in Asset running in Win 10. But it's not that simple. I had many if not all of these issues with a recent re-installation of Win 7 as well. Prior to that It was easy peasy.

• Asset sees nothing except my PC folders
  • In Explorer - I can only see the Disk Station as a Network media device
  • In Explorer - I cannot see the NAS as a drive
  • In Explorer - I can see the contents of the NAS on Explorer but cannot copy files to it
  • Using Explorer - MAP NETWORK DRIVE , I cannot see the NAS device or its drives at all
  • Using Synology Assistant - I can see the NAS and can map it but I cannot map a second folder or drive without signing out from the first drive.
  • If I do map the drive succesfully, it wants me to login every time I reboot my PC. Half the time the login indicates that it is incorrect (it's not)

This should be much simpler to set up. What has happened? Would it be better to not use Home Network Groups?

So frustrating.

I think it's best to answer your questions in reverse although I don't know whether you upgrade from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 but if you could set it up in Windows 7/8, you should be able to re-set it up for Windows 10. My upgrade from 7 to 10 and 8.1 to 10 went smoothly so I did not run into any of these issues with my Synology NAS.

1. You should be able to map your NAS successfully as a drive. If you can't, just do it in Synology Assistant.

2. You can configure Windows 10 (or Windows 7/8) to automatically log onto the mapped NAS drive. Just google the instructions.

3. Once you've done #1 & #2, you should be able to see the network drive all the time in Explorer.

4. Once you've done #1 & #2, you should now be able to map a second folder within the main NAS drive in Explorer to a different drive assignment, e.g. N:\music = M:\ drive. Obviously, if you don't have N:\ = NAS drive mapped in Synology Assistant, you can't map the M:\ drive = N:\music in Explorer

5. You should be able to copy contents to these mapped network drives. But you would not always be able to copy contents into DLNA servers that you're seeing through disk station as a network media device. That's probably why you were having trouble copying the files. You were not copying the files to a mapped network drive, you were trying to copy it to a DLNA music server.

6. I don't use Asset so I don't know what to say about it.

Hope this is helpful.

5. You should be able to copy contents to these mapped network drives. But you would not always be able to copy contents into DLNA servers that you're seeing through disk station as a network media device. That's probably why you were having trouble copying the files. You were not copying the files to a mapped network drive, you were trying to copy it to a DLNA music server.

6. I don't use Asset so I don't know what to say about it.

The Asset UPnP/DLNA media server does not copy the files, but meerly requires access to them on the Synology via its network shared folders, that the OP is currently unable to correctly map to as a drive in Windows 10.

So the OP's issue appears to be one of mapping the Synology NAS's network shared folders in Windows 10, so that they can be accessed by any application running on the computer, not just Asset UPnP.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

BigBadger,

Because of Cebolla's comments, I re-read your post in a little more detail. I just had another epiphany.

Did you change from Windows 7 to Windows 10? Did you use to log in with a specific username and password in Windows 7 and now you signed up for a Microsoft account to log into Windows 10? I wonder if this is the reason why you used to be able to log into the NAS and now you can't. It's because technically you've changed your username and password within Windows 10 but of course you never changed the username and password on the NAS. You should still be able to consistently log onto the NAS. I think you just need to program Windows to log onto the NAS's mapped network drive using a different set of username and password, instead of your Microsoft account. I had to do that with one of my new Windows 8.1 machines so I'm sure you can do the same with the Windows 10 machine. It may require some googling.

At least that's what I'm guessing is your problem. It is always difficult to know without knowing all the details.

Someone upgraded from Win 7 to 8 and it's the same deal

http://superuser.com/questions/536472/windows-8-mapping-network-drive-nas

Maybe give this a try and see how it goes

1. Open up "System" from the Control Panel. One way to access the control panel is to hover the mouse in the right upper or lower corner, slide the cursor to Settings, click, and then select Control Panel from the list. Click "System and Security" and then "System".
  2. Under "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" click the "Change settings" link, located at the right next to an administrator shield icon.
  3. On the first tab "Computer name", click the button that says "Network ID..." This opens up a window with only two choices.
  4. Select "This is a home computer; it's not part of a business network". Click finish and let windows restart itself.

Here we go

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/712c9673-60f1-48a7-815a-b7995691b9ee/unable-to-access-lacie-nas-over-smb-since-upgrading-from-win-7-pro-to-win-10-pro

Go to "Control Panel -> Programs"

Select "Turn Windows features on or off" (requires admin rights)

There you will find "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support". Enable it!

The issue is that your NAS doesn't support new version of SMB.

So you need to make windows support old version.

It seems SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support was already enabled. My NAS is up-to-date with all the firmware etc.

This is beyond frustrating. I can map the drive with my Synology Assistant but cannot see the drive with Asset. I also cannot map any more drives one one is mapped.

For giggles, I disabled the SMB... no difference at all.

• 1 year later...