IGNORED

CAPS Pipeline DSD HQP query

bonzo

For native DSD it won't matter, for upsampling and any other manipulation go for the 1240.

I got a 1246 rated 84w, no issues, doesn't overheat under any audio use, including upsampling to 2X DSD.

The 2Ghz will not perform as wanted in some situations. I think the recommendation is for minimum quad core 3.4Ghz with HQP.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 vs E3-1246 v3

Intel Xeon E3-1240 v2 vs E3-1241 v3

not much difference between the 1240 and 1246.

RAM? More is always better :)

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Sorry but how does that translate into performance for upsampling? Does 41 and 46 perform better than 40 without any loss in any other area of SQ?

Can't compare them, so I don't know about comparable SQ. I doubt there's much difference on simple playback. AFAIR, Miska generally prefers the sound of more powerful CPUs. But why don't you write him at signalyst with your questions?

I think there's a reason the higher power 1240 was chosen for the Pipeline. It's designed to be a high power player. Miska recommends a minimum quad core 3.4Ghz with HQP (AFAIR), to fully use the features. IME, the weaker CPU you are talking about won't do all the upsampling and other tasks the software is capable of .

If that's not what you want, then buy the lesser CPU. You can't always have everything - low TDP and full performance. Just like you don't get top end performance and low TDP. There are tradeoffs in whatever you buy.