IGNORED

King Crimson available for DL?

Understandable, since we are talking 1959, but it's sad that there is little to nothing available from the early period when the band was touring, and playing music, live, from In The Court of the Crimson King and In the wake of Poseidon. That original lineup was incredible. Granted, Fripp has always found brilliant musicians to add to the various incarnations of the band, but the first two releases were matchless.

JC

I think you meant 1969...

Are you speaking in terms of digital availability or just in general that there were few recordings made?

I don't know the story or pretend that I know the reasons but it appears that Fripp is one of the non-digital embracing artists.

Could be just for IP control, could be for quality control, could be for $$ control, could be something entirely different.

Whatever, it's his choice to make no matter how disappointed I may be :)

Oops, yes, 1969, of course. There seem to both almost no recording made in that period, and available via non digital means, or digital.

JC

• 3 years later...
29 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

JC,
just by chance I was doing research on that subject and found the Epitaph Recordings reissues in 2018
https://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson-Epitaph-Volumes-One-Two/release/12616250
Dunno if you were aware of these?
Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom, I appreciate you pointing that out. I've  have, however, owned that set for many years in the form of the original "collectors item" cd boxed set. To my knowledge, even as limited as it's scope, it is the only documented performances from the original incarnation of the band. 

JC

I also meant to note that the 2018 reissues are well worth the purchase for a serious early Crimson fan. Just for the live pieces. 

I just noted this new release, which I wish they had reissued at least the 69-72 set on cd or, even better high res, but that was apparently too much to hope for. And honestly, even if the original master tapes survived from 1969, not sure how much higher res could be gleaned from them. I own all the 40th anniversary versions already, but a nice book and full size lp covers like this provides would be really nice to own. 

King Crimson

JC

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2018 at 2:27 PM, firedog said:

In the last few years they’ve regularly released live albums of their concerts. The new lineup is excellent and they play the classics. I’ve downloaded 5 of these live albums from the hi-res download sites. There are at least 2 more of these live albums available for download, including the aforementioned “Meltdown”.

Tidal has about 8 live albums plus “Larks’ Tongues” available for streaming.

Agreed on the new lineup being excellent. Just superb musicians, which Mr Fripp always insists on. I've had the good fortune to see them live twice in the last two years. My only issue is that when the play the "classics", they have no vocalist that can possibly equal Greg Lake, or, John Wetton. 

JC

Okay, as much as I respect Robert Fripp, and loved the early incarnations of King Crimson since they began, what I just came across is  absurd. Mr. Fripp is finally opening up the vaults for their 50th anniversary and the prices for high def downloads are ridiculous. Take for example this two song offering featured on HD Tracks. A total of 7 minutes of music for a mere $13.00! 

https://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/744628?&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=New_Releases&trk_msg=4M1O5507E02KLC7PE2G2RLGJVK&trk_contact=74RVARJG0VFPEC06BH96RMC3R4&trk_sid=TU7A3QS5JO50T7CHE5FG6Q6V08

Of course, for the single track of 21st Century Schizoid Man, it's only $6.00! 

https://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/744622?&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=New_Releases&trk_msg=4M1O5507E02KLC7PE2G2RLGJVK&trk_contact=74RVARJG0VFPEC06BH96RMC3R4&trk_sid=TU7A3QS5JO50T7CHE5FG6Q6V08

JC