IGNORED

Optical drive

Yeah, great thread indeed and great information already gathered upon the CD-drive technology.

For me it is also not understandable at all, why bit-identical rips do sound differently. And hell yes they do, as I personally found out in my system. However as usual, YMMV.

My ripping station consists of a Plextor Premium drive which is powered by a HD-Plex LPS. Both 12V and 5V independently. The drive is connected to my PC via an IDE<>SATA converter which is powered with clean 5V as well. Great that the newest generation of HD-Plex LPS has an adjustable 5-9V output. Therefore it can generate double 5V plus the 12V out of one box. Very neat!

I'm so much looking forward to some further technical investigation on this topic.

Best wishes,

Henning

Henning

Have you also tried ripping the files directly to an internal SSD via a +5V low noise voltage regulator powered from the LPS ?

Kind Regards

Alex

P.S.

See also

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/batter-linear-power-supply-powered-solid-state-drive-what-cable-adapter-use-25636/ Post 10.

Indeed I haven't yet.

But it really could make sense, because today I tried better SATA cables for both the Plextor drive and the SSD and it bettered the SQ of the rips a tiny, but noticable bit.

Btw, my wife is a good helper in evaluating these differences, since she doesn't know much about all those technical tweaks, but she has a good musical hearing and understanding as well.

So I will give the LPS powered SSD a go, thanks SandyK for this impulse.

Henning