IGNORED

contentedness antithetical to audiophiliac mind?

Was teasing George think you realise that...

I'm content with both my Naim and my kitchen ... But that doesn't stop me lusting over Meile appliances and the Naim Statment amplifier :-)

Of course, I realize that you were just joshing, Eloise. I've not heard of Meile appliances, but does your kitchen have an Aga range in it, with the (to us Colonists) funny twin covered burners?

George

My wife and I were amazed by Harrod's, where you can see Miele appliances and Naim amplifiers on the same floor (Apple stuff, too). I don't know of any store like that in the U.S.

Yeah but then Harrods is for visiting tourists :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Of course, I realize that you were just joshing, Eloise. I've not heard of Meile appliances, but does your kitchen have an Aga range in it, with the (to us Colonists) funny twin covered burners?

No Aga in my current kitchen ... That's more for a farmhouse kitchen and is part of the heating as well as for cooking.

I can't spell and they are Miele - German high end.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

My former sister-in-law acquired an Aga. She had to shore up the foundation under her kitchen before it could be installed, and yes, it heated up a fair portion of the house. Not so great for Virginia summers.

There's actually a Miele showroom close to my house … but please don't tell my wife. (Ultimately, I'm doomed, because she'll find out about it sooner rather than later.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

My former sister-in-law acquired an Aga. She had to shore up the foundation under her kitchen before it could be installed, and yes, it heated up a fair portion of the house. Not so great for Virginia summers.

There's actually a Miele showroom close to my house … but please don't tell my wife. (Ultimately, I'm doomed, because she'll find out about it sooner rather than later.)

--David

Are you near Arlington VA? I was raised in Woodbridge, VA just down the I-95 (or US Route 1, whichever you prefer) from you.

George

My wife and I were amazed by Harrod's, where you can see Miele appliances and Naim amplifiers on the same floor (Apple stuff, too). I don't know of any store like that in the U.S.

Jud, did you hit the food court. Holy crap amazing! If I lived in London and the zombie apocalypse hit that's the place I'd settle into for the duration....:-)

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

Jud, did you hit the food court. Holy crap amazing! If I lived in London and the zombie apocalypse hit that's the place I'd settle into for the duration....:-)

We did stroll through the food court (duly impressed), but if I recall correctly we ate in two of the 27 or so(!) restaurants in the place that weren't in the food court itself. They were a tapas bar and a crepe place.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Are you near Arlington VA? I was raised in Woodbridge, VA just down the I-95 (or US Route 1, whichever you prefer) from you.

Yes, Falls Church borders Arlington (the only town named after a cemetery) to Arlington's west. Every morning I walk along the border and even go right by one of the original DC boundary stones (SW9). (Raise your hand if you knew that Arlington used to be part of the District of Columbia.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Yes, Falls Church borders Arlington (the only town named after a cemetery) to Arlington's west. Every morning I walk along the border and even go right by one of the original DC boundary stones (SW9). (Raise your hand if you knew that Arlington used to be part of the District of Columbia.)

--David

I'm raising my hand. I used to live around there, so I know the area's history fairly well. Have always had Potomac Fever, but after I moved to CA in the mid-sixties, I never moved back. It's changed so much that the last time I was back there, I didn't even recognize the area.

George

contentedness antithetical to audiophiliac mind?

hmmmmmmm...........

The human mind is eternally inquisitive!

I personally left audiophoolia for 20 years, as I was content with my rig and enjoying my music + tired of the eternal bickering about cables and tubes.

I returned to join the digital revolution, but I find the bickering remains.

It also sems that buying a DAC is synonymous to going digital to most audiophiles.

My rig is actually now fully digital with all the advantages I currently feel going digital should have.

My rig isn't wireless, but I can definitely live with that.

The amplification isn't digital, but I'll do my best to keep the energy consumption associated with class AB down.

My rig doesn't have height channels, but it's upgradable when I feel the benefit.

I'm still ecstatic over the immersive natural sound and I plan to keep the rig for decades.

So either I'm a content audiophile, or the word has become so tainted by the bickering that I'll never be. :-)

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”