IGNORED

REGEN or Better DAC

Here's my take : the Regen will significantly improve audio quality on existing systems .

Unless you are gonna buy a dac with USB galvanic isolation , the Regen will make a very positive audio quality difference with most dacs .

My Mdac which is a good but not great dac was improved a lot by inserting a Regen .

The Regen makes such a significant improvement for so little cost that I'd recommend it whether you upgrade your DAC or not.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Before I spend 175.00 on a REGEN I'm wondering should I put that money towards a better DAC. I have the ifi nano a MacBook Pro 2013 going into a B&K Reference Pre Amp and a Power Amp 225W RMS

Just because the Nano's such a good DAC at such a good price, it's hard for me to think of a much better one that's only $175 more. So in your specific situation I'd say try the Regen, especially since you'll almost certainly have no problem reselling it.

I'd also say you want to control volume exclusively through the preamp unless you will just have no room to adjust at all with the Nano at full.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

+1 to all the comments above.

Also, since it is easy for me to spend other people's money, I recommend that you purchase the REGEN and see how you like it with your current system. If you still feel that you need to upgrade your DAC, the REGEN is likely to yield an improvement in sound quality with the new DAC as well.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

This nails it, and if I may add, the lower cost DACs are less likely to gain circuitry akin to the Regen anytime soon.

Just because the Nano's such a good DAC at such a good price, it's hard for me to think of a much better one that's only $175 more. So in your specific situation I'd say try the Regen, especially since you'll almost certainly have no problem reselling it.

I'd also say you want to control volume exclusively through the preamp unless you will just have no room to adjust at all with the Nano at full.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Is this a positive statement or negative statement about the ifi nano?

Parts cost to sales price multiples of 10 are not terribly unusual (though the Regen's parts cost is about half the sales price if I remember a post of Superdad's in another thread correctly). So to add a Regen as part of a DAC could add anywhere between $350 to $1750 to the sales price. So we aren't saying anything about the Nano's quality, just that it doesn't cost nearly enough right now for iFi to fold in a Regen without blowing up the sales price. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.